So how long do you play a game , before you decide you don't like it?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Pretty simple question . How long will you play a game before deciding you don't like it and call it quits.

And bonus question : what was the last game you quit because you didn't like it?

Depending on the genre i will give a game more or less time. For Rpgs i usually give a game 5 hours to pique my interest. If at that point i'm not interested or bored out of my mind , i'll drop it . I however , will keep the game and try it again at a later date to give it another go .

For anything other than rpgs , i will give a game 2 hours of gameplay ( cut scenes not included ). I am not easily diswayed from playing a game , i'll do whatever i can to find a redeeming factor of a game, but it only has 2 hours to impress me .

The last game i game up was Lord of the rings : War of the North . It was an impulse buy in the bargin bin a month ago . Cost a total of 5$ and was complete trash . I absolutely hated that game . Two hours in i wanted to scratch my eyes out . I almost broke the game out of spite , but i could never destroy a videogame no matter what .

Your turn.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
The whole damn story mode. If I'm going to not like a game, it's going to be based on hours and hours of bullshit. I still avoid some games based on gameplay videos and reviews though.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
It depends on why I end up not enjoying a game.

Generally, if I end up not liking it at all it'll only take about thirty minutes to an hour for me to decide to stop playing. This is usually free games or demos that I've decided to check out for yucks, because if I'm iffy about a game it's highly unlikely I'm going to purchase it.

However, there are a great many games that I buy, end up having a bit of enjoyment with, then stop playing and can't find the motivation to go back to them.

Final Fantasy XIII I put in twelve hours before deciding I couldn't continue playing it any longer.

Out of the five God of War games I own, the only ones I've finished have been the ones for the PSP. I've played the longest of III for the console ones, at about five hours. ... Lord only knows why I've got all of them pre-Ascension.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I haven't played a game I didn't like in years, since the internet pretty much has as much information about a game that I want from reviews, previews and let's plays, I'll know 100% before I buy whether or not I'll like something or not.

But to answer you first question, I would probably give a game a single play session to decide whether or not I'll stick with it all the way through.

As to your second question the last game that I can remember giving up just because I couldn't stand it anymore would be Darkened Skye, it was about the time when a cut-scene happened when you found out that the magical gems in the game were literally skittles. this was several years ago when all I had to go on for information about a game was it's cover and what little blurb was on the back of the box.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
It's actually the first impressions, and then I use the rest of the experience of the story mode (or in multiplayer game modes, most of the easily available content) to build upon my opinion or change it.

For example I thought Mirror's Edge was bad from first impressions, and continued to think so throughout because of various reasons, although it has some redeeming qualities and it's actually quite fun at times.

I thought Gears of War 3 was almost as good as GoW 2 in terms of story mode with it's new atmosphere and slowly creating a nice new world and story, but at the halfway mark everything I liked about it dribbled away at an increasingly rapid rate and the whole thing became a bit schizophrenic, in particularly when Marcus shouts at the Stranded Camp leader's completely valid argument. When I was finished I just written it off as the worst campaign in series (still do after Judgment). Although considering the fact that Karen Travis wrote it I shouldn't have been surprised that it was awful.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
About 10minutes. If it doesn't draw me in straight away then its not going to. I have a fairly high tolerance for bullshit, so if it gives me the shits straight away its properly crap.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
I usually try to give it a couple of hours. If by that time it hasn't shown any signs of getting better, I quit.

Last game I quit like this was Alone in the Dark (the most recent one, where you play a pyromaniac Carnby): because of the way the controls worked coupled with the horrible physics, I couldn't get past one of the first traps, as no matter what I did I just couldn't get the game to cooperate (need less to say I didn't spend 2 hours on it, 15 minutes was enough). Haven't touched the game since.

Before that was Sonic 2006, where the camera, broken physics (huh, maybe a coincidence?) and the unforgiving deaths coupled with the impossibility to grind for lives in the early level made me quit after the second level.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Evonisia said:
It's actually the first impressions, and then I use the rest of the experience of the story mode (or in multiplayer game modes, most of the easily available content) to build upon my opinion or change it.
Pretty much this. If the game doesn't impress me that well in my first attempts at playing it, I probably won't care for it and will stop playing right there without wanting to continue. And if I do get a good vibe off of my first impressions, I keep going and build on my opinion from there.

It's mainly why I don't understand people who claim they can play 20-30 hours of a game and decide they hate it. If you never liked it, why in the hell did you put that much time in it? I can decipher if I don't like a game within the first hour or two, why does it take people that long to decide the same thing?

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Generally I'll play a game till it stops being engaging. Sometimes this can be awhile and sometimes it can be very quick. It took me 30 levels till I stopped playing smite and started to get into the higher level of play. With the last of us it wasnt till my second playthrough that I realized how run of the mill the gameplay was. With Xcom: Enemy unknown (2012) it was in the first thirty minutes because I realized it wasnt what I wanted out of an xcom game. It really just depends on my experiences with the game and, if applicable, my history with its predecessors.

As for which game I last quit, it was smite. It took me 30 levels and then some to realize that intermediate level of skill is just pure nonsense when the game has so many overpowered gods and such a huge reliance on skilless crowd control mechanics. So I quit last night (to be fair the game is still in open beta and these problems may change). Im not sure what new game is going to consume my time, Im thinking I might get further into Dragon's prophet of which Ive only had passing interest so far since its in open beta

doomed89

May 5, 2009
Racecarlock said:
The whole damn story mode. If I'm going to not like a game, it's going to be based on hours and hours of bullshit. I still avoid some games based on gameplay videos and reviews though.
So you waste hours doing something you don't like just to feel justified in saying that's crap?

I normally play to the end of the demo, unless I really hate it and can't even make it that far. If there's no demo I usually just watch gameplay videos and READ user reviews to see if I'll like it. I'm less likely to call a game bad if I haven't played it but when it's obviously crap I will after I've researched it like FFXIII.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
With me, it would be within the first hour to determine whether I like a game or not. Then, I would completely stop playing the game if I don't like it after the second hour.

I'm just the kind of people who likes to really get into a game to be certain that I really don't like it (as some games tend to get better after the first few hours).

Examples of games that I ended up liking after initially not liking it was the Xenosaga series, the handheld Pokemon series, the Kingdom Hearts series, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Games that I really despised after two hours were Mod Racers for PSP and Mugen Souls.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
CrimsonBlaze said:
With me, it would be within the first hour to determine whether I like a game or not. Then, I would completely stop playing the game if I don't like it after the second hour.

I'm just the kind of people who likes to really get into a game to be certain that I really don't like it (as some games tend to get better after the first few hours).

Examples of games that I ended up liking after initially not liking it was the Xenosaga series, the handheld Pokemon series, the Kingdom Hearts series, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Games that I really despised after two hours were Mod Racers for PSP and Mugen Souls.
Some games you have to deal with a long tutorial phase and you can't really help it because it just needs it, that's why I don't like setting an arbitrary time.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Depends on the game, usually I give up on it if it's not engaging enough, tedious and repetitive or something just pisses me off about it. Here are a few examples:

Final Fantasy XIII - the whole first disc was me going forward and pressing A, there was virtually no gameplay which is bad because I was trying to get invested in the story (I've seen that someone has made a "movie" out of XIII on youtube, maybe I'll give it a watch someday)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - the combat and overall gameplay was actually pretty involving and I kind of liked the game's universe but the characters made me facepalm so many times that I couldn't take it anymore (I stopped after a robot on my team revealed that he has a fetish for girls with glasses, it felt like a game equivalent of a crappy anime series)

Mindjack - that one is just horrible in every aspect, I gave it maybe 30 minutes

I have also decided that I don't like mmorpgs just by looking at them (I hate games that consist of nothing but grinding).
Never played one, never will (unless someone pays me but my fee is high).

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
doomed89 said:
CrimsonBlaze said:

Some games you have to deal with a long tutorial phase and you can't really help it because it just needs it, that's why I don't like setting an arbitrary time.
But long tutorials can be engaging, too. Just because it's a tutorial doesn't mean it's automatically boring.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
KarmaTheAlligator said:
doomed89 said:
CrimsonBlaze said:

But long tutorials can be engaging, too. Just because it's a tutorial doesn't mean it's automatically boring.
True, but if I am bored doing a tutorial thing, I tend to give it a pass unless it's insanely long.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
doomed89 said:
True, but if I am bored doing a tutorial thing, I tend to give it a pass unless it's insanely long.
As you should, really, no-one should have to sit through hours of boring stuff to get to the fun parts.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
KarmaTheAlligator said:
doomed89 said:
As you should, really, no-one should have to sit through hours of boring stuff to get to the fun parts.
I meant like not knock the game for an hour or two long tutorial section(maybe not even call it that but just a slow start to a game) if it needs it, I let it go is what I meant by give it a pass. If it is needless long though that's different.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
doomed89 said:
CrimsonBlaze said:

I don't mind the tutorials; the issue with each of the two games was very specific.

For Mod Racers, the difficulty was ridiculously hard and the AI was unforgiving. After two hours of getting the hang of the controls and abilities, I could only get 2nd place on the first track, on the normal difficulty. I couldn't take it and I stopped playing it immediately.

For Mugen Souls, I wasn't digging the drop to single digit frame rates and the ecchi and moe inspired angle of the game. It felt like a NIS title that was done by Compile Heart, which was one of the reasons that I was first interested in it. The character designs, themes, humor, story, and battle system was reminiscent of several NIS titles, but Compile Heart threw a wrench in the system and made it into a buggy, somewhat glossy, experience with fanservice that is so blatant, I was amazed that I even lasted two hours with this game before I quit.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
doomed89 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
doomed89 said:
I meant like not knock the game for an hour or two long tutorial section(maybe not even call it that but just a slow start to a game) if it needs it, I let it go is what I meant by give it a pass. If it is needless long though that's different.
Oh. Well my point still stands that it doesn't matter if the tutorials are long and needed, if they're boring, you have every right to judge the game by those first impressions and stop playing. You need to be into the game even for those tutorials (or at least enjoying parts of it).

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I tend to avoid games if they get a lot of reviews, so I can't think of a case where I really didn't like a game. Maybe Banjo-Kazooie? Because then, it was a couple levels in when I got fed up with the camera/controls.