So I am doing a full playthrough Fallout New Vegas for the first time.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Are they big to get lost in?

Because I never found The Pitt to be that big kind of place to get lost in.

Not like Point Lookout or Solstheim in Elder Scrolls.
Honest hearts... no its just more desert. Dead money is a bunch of mazes, and is a JJ Abrams mystery (the mystery is better than the resolution), Old World Blues is by far the best. Actual comedy, interesting concept. Poorly designed world but lots to do. Lonesome road is wrapping up of a guy that didn't have mucj of an impact to the story and pretends you are a bad guy because you were chosen to deliver the chip. A bit of a dud

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Are they big to get lost in?

Because I never found The Pitt to be that big kind of place to get lost in.

Not like Point Lookout or Solstheim in Elder Scrolls.
Old World Blues is probably the only one that feels "big" (comparable to Point lookout). One thing I will point out with the DLCs is that they have an overarching plot that's hinted in the base game and resolved throughout the DLCs, so I'd suggest playing them in release order.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I just think its less the graphics and more you don't think a Desert Wasteland is an appealing environment at all. Even with the fancy New Vegas City looking like a Flashy Disneylnad.
For me, I just don't think the desert of NV was done very well. It was too easily confused with everywhere else, with little to no real terrain variation of any note. Just all brown/orange scrubland. And it wasn't very interesting brown/orange scrubland either.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I loved NV overall. But if I had a largest complaint it was without question...
For me, I just don't think the desert of NV was done very well. It was too easily confused with everywhere else, with little to no real terrain variation of any note. Just all brown/orange scrubland. And it wasn't very interesting brown/orange scrubland either.
It just wasn't populated as densely as FO 3. There was always something over the next hill in FO 3. 4 is pretty similar. But NV, you could walk for several minutes in one direction or another and encounter NOTHING. I guess there's a kind of sense that makes in creating an atmosphere... but it was supposed to be an entertaining game. Atmosphere is important, but having something to do other than press forward to walk is kind of important as well. I've played FO 3, 4, Skyrim... a lot of games with a self-imposed restriction on fast travel. And its easy. I'd probably rather shoot myself than try that in NV.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I loved NV overall. But if I had a largest complaint it was without question...

It just wasn't populated as densely as FO 3. There was always something over the next hill in FO 3. 4 is pretty similar. But NV, you could walk for several minutes in one direction or another and encounter NOTHING. I guess there's a kind of sense that makes in creating an atmosphere... but it was supposed to be an entertaining game. Atmosphere is important, but having something to do other than press forward to walk is kind of important as well. I've played FO 3, 4, Skyrim... a lot of games with a self-imposed restriction on fast travel. And its easy. I'd probably rather shoot myself than try that in NV.
Honestly the emptiness wasn't a problem for me, as there are stretches in FO 3 where you can find yourself in the middle of nothing. Actually one of my favorite moments in FO 3 was exactly that. I had been sneaking around with Dogmeat at night, listening to the radio, and got tired of the loop of oldies, so I turned it off. I was just kind of creeping along, and the ambient music kicked in. It was a clear sky, so lots of stars were out, there was the subtle wind blowing effect going on, that spacey music was playing, and Dogmeat was calmly panting next to me. And with my headphones on, and playing at night, it was one of those moments where you find yourself, at least senses-wise, feeling IN the game. I stopped for a second, just kind of looked around at the beautiful stillness, looked down at my loyal pooch, and realized I'd had a Gaming Moment. And it was specifically because nothing was around.

So the fact that a desert, is, you know, desert like, is fine. I just mean aesthetically, I found the map so samey as to be boring.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Spec Ops: The Line also did a good desert overblown landscape well.

So did Killzone 2, which was personally my first real experience with the brown theme that exploded in 7th gen (that didn’t sound quite right).

The soundtrack at the sniping section around 10:50 is legit too.