So I bought watch dogs today.

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
I have to admit I was a little turned off because of the scandal surrounding the game and all that shit, a friend of mine bought it on pc and told me that if I liked farcry 3 and ac 4 (which are my favorites) I'd love watch dogs, so I finally gave it a shot while waiting for sniper elite 3 to get to my country and it's a pretty fun game, the gameplay is solid, the hacking is fun, honestly my only complaint about the game would be that the cars don't get wrecked in a realistic manner(I'm not asking for soft body physics but a little more realism would've been nice) but everything else is pretty damn good, also this being my third ubisoft game I noticed these games all follow the same pattern, main missions, with a fuckton of collectibles and side missions, and I think they should start paying more attention to that, either by removing them or making them more unique and less repetitive.

I'm a little late but if anyone is on the fence about buying watch dogs, I'd say do it, but get it on a sale or something.

Edit: I don't understand why it says this is a poll.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Looks like a $20 PS4 buy at some point. Thanks for your advice.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Watchdogs is a fun game loved the hacking into cameras and looking for the enemies before planning my attack. But it is let down by a few things. But as a new ip it makes me want a sequel that adds more hacking, a better story etc. Like adding controllable drones. Maybe hacking guns to fire rounds. Even hacking cars and controlling them remotely. I think if they moved it a few years into the future and added chips in everything, they could get really imaginative and fun (also proved that a modern day AC game would work as assassins would use hacking to help with stealth).

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Glad you're enjoying it. A lot of people just brushed it off as a bad game without really listening to the merits it had along with the various issues. I dont blame anyone for getting it after the price drops but I just dont understand the people who say its outright bad without having played it.

IMO, Watch dogs is a good game even on PC. There are a lot of issues with it but most of it can be fixed with appropriate patching (or a few of the mods out there).

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
If I could find a way to test it on my PC without buying it or pirating it I would be more interested. It looks like a good time, and my friend likes the 360 version, but Ubisoft as been releasing some VERY unstable PC ports these days. Far Cry 3 still doesn't run for more than 20 minutes on my system without a crash.

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
The game looks like fun, something I'd buy on the PS3 when the prices go down.
You shouldn't get it on current-gen. I heard people say the entire city is like a ghost town.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
It's a decent enough game, doesn't do anything particularly amazing. The multiplayer implementation I found surprisingly good (some found it horrible). At least it wasn't just a tacked on deathmatch mode, kind of a cool cat and mouse hide and seek thing which I found genuinely tense and thrilling at times.

I'd say if you have to be careful with your gaming money, leave it for now. I picked up on PS4 so it's a better title from the small amount out there.

Oh and for the trophy/achievement hunters, the drinking game trophy........ blurgh no likey

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Brownie80 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
You shouldn't get it on current-gen. I heard people say the entire city is like a ghost town.
This bit of PS3 gameplay doesn't seem as bad as that...

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Brownie80 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
This bit of PS3 gameplay doesn't seem as bad as that...

Well it still is kind of underwhelming, but the last time I argued with some one over Watch Dogs it lasted four pages over two threads and we both came out of it with warnings so I'll just say it's alright. What I meant is that cars are so scarce and so few it seems more like a town on Long Island then Chicago, Illinois.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Good to hear, I guess.
I'd get it on a sale, but, there's Uplay to deal with and I'd rather not be bothered with that junk. So, bargain bin, maybe, one day.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I found the game to be fun, but not worth full price. Definitely a good value at $30 or so. As for Uplay, I avoid it (on PS4), and couldn't care less about the extraneous DLC that is gated as a result. Incidentally, this is why you shouldn't pay more than $30, considering locked bits of the product(via Uplay, preorder, etc) that are likely on-disk.

Personally, I find the gameplay VERY fun, and graphics are well above average (but not what they should have been). The real failing for me was the lack of a compelling story. They try to have a grand, sweeping adventure, but they fail to resolve anything in a meaningful way. Hell, the subplots (what little there are) are never properly addressed at all.

I could have forgiven the IP nearly anything, if the characters and story had remained compelling. Conversely, even having the modded "E3 Graphics" options for PC does nothing to lessen my complaints, as I play "stories" more than "graphics."

For those who just want a pretty sandbox to play with, you won't be disappointed...but only if you buy PC, somehow bypass Uplay (I'm sure it's possible), and install the modded graphical tweaks. For the rest of us, I feel it should be a sale purchase or rental.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I tried Watch Dogs, but I can't get over the driving. I absolutely hate it, and at first I thought it was because I was using keyboard+mouse, but I have had zero issues driving in pretty much every other game I've played.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Brownie80 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I have to disagree. Ive got a friend that has it on Xbox 360 and there are people pretty much everywhere. Look in any direction and you'll usually see 10 or more people walking along the sidewalk. More in busier parts of the city and less in more rural areas like Pawnee

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
Windcaler said:
Brownie80 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I have to disagree. Ive got a friend that has it on Xbox 360 and there are people pretty much everywhere. Look in any direction and you'll usually see 10 or more people walking along the sidewalk. More in busier parts of the city and less in more rural areas like Pawnee
That might the case for 360 but I was talking about the PS3 version. I wouldn't know about the 360 version.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Brownie80 said:
Windcaler said:
Brownie80 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
That might the case for 360 but I was talking about the PS3 version. I wouldn't know about the 360 version.
Considering that the PS3 has more processing power then the 360 I doubt it has less people showing up. Generally there isnt a whole lot of difference between the two consoles but if there is theres no reason why the PS3 would have less going on when the hardware supports more

Dr. Octogonopus

Aug 31, 2010
Huh, a thread praising Watch_Dogs. That's pretty refreshing. Main reason I bought it was because my local game store had a good combo of 20% discount if it was pre-ordered plus a 30% boost to game trade-ins if it goes towards paying for a pre-order. Only paying for the pre-order once I picked up the game was also a bonus.

It's good. Not great, but good. I see it as AC 1 with a silenced 1911. Draw distance is atrocious on the ps3. Driving down a long stretch of road when a wild car appears in front of you, bumper-car shenanigans ensue. Side missions and collectables are the standard Ubisoft copy/paste filler but at least it's more varied than the treasure chest/shiny thing combo from the AC series.

Windcaler said:
Brownie80 said:
Windcaler said:
Brownie80 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Considering that the PS3 has more processing power then the 360 I doubt it has less people showing up. Generally there isnt a whole lot of difference between the two consoles but if there is theres no reason why the PS3 would have less going on when the hardware supports more
On the PS3 crowd size is okay, definitely needs more traffic though. I havent been able to pull of a traffic light takedown/ambush properly due to lack of cars.

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
Windcaler said:
Brownie80 said:
Windcaler said:
Brownie80 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Again, I'm talking about traffic, not people. I never said anything about the people: