So I feel like Dark Souls could use a multiplayer focused title.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
So Dark Souls multiplayer is really something. Getting into the duelling culture and invasions and stuff eats up more of my time than single player and theres really nothing quite like it that I know of.

But the ganks, the balance issues, PVP covenants that never trigger, ganks andthe lag. Dark Souls pvp is a real diamond in the rough.

Id love to get a game like Dark Souls with more traditional multiplayer matchmaking, maybe even objective based stuff and team stuff.

What do you think?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Saelune said:
So...Chivalry?
That was my immediate response upon finishing reading the OP. :p

Fieldy409 said:
I mean chivalry is close but it doesnt feel like Dark Souls to me if that makes sense...
I'd have to hope not, considering the distinct lack of eldritch horrors from beyond the cosmos in Chivalry. Still: intense combat between guys in medieval armor...Chivalry is about as close as you're going to get to the type of combat seen in DS.

.....that or you could go get yourself one of the Bushido Blade games. :p

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
It makes me wonder what it would be like if someone actually staged a 10 v 10 match somewhere in Dark Souls. Actually, make it Dark Souls 2 and have it take place in the shaded woods. That would be pretty tense, especially if everyone has partial invisibility.

Salsajoe

Dec 18, 2012
How can you even compare to Chivalry? I mean it is in the same setting-ish, with medieval bros slapping each other with big metal sticks. One focuses on the more grimdark tone and a story that is hidden from plain view, whereas the other focuses on the intensity of swinging your stick in a particular way and the enemy capitalises on that choice. DS has movesets for each weapon (if we look away from the abomination that is DS3 straight sword moveset), but in chivalry all weapons have the same moveset but different reach and speed and damage.

OT:
I would not play it as I primarily play DS for the pve part, with the occasional cooparative action. How'd you imagine it work in the sense of progression in terms of weapons, gear and general stats (or builds) as it is an RPG and that is very key thing in most RPGs? Also, should it be only duels or massive onslaughts with teams of dudes just duking it out?

Maybe something like the starting classes, but versions where their builds are more emphasized and fleshed out rather than the wiggle-room you have when you select it for the build you have in mind.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
I feel vaguely differently.

I kind of want a more brutal version of Vindictus vaguely inspired by Dark Souls with a focus on multiplayer coming from From Software, with a major difference being a more larger scale 'discovery' portion of the game with a little inspiration of the 'interconnected, cooperative community' feel of the Eve online economy.

For example, say the game revolves around multiple gods and each of them has a shrine that you need to fight through. But you don't have to just finish the shrine to summon the god. You could have people who collect items from beating more basic monsters and have them sacrifice it to the shrine. You could have people who open up different paths for everyone else through the shrine. Etc etc. And then the God is unlocked for the entire 'server' and gives everyone a new class or starting weapon or something.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I don't feel it. Dark Souls PvP is just a part of the whole experience. But alone it wouldn't be as good (people want to invade those who are just minding their own business as much as invading those looking for PvP). A DS multiplayer only game would be just Chivalry with a Dark Souls skin.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Does it have potential? Sure.
But considering that we basically have 5 games in the Souls theme and they all have absolutely garbage multiplayer. I honestly wouldn't trust From Soft to make a competent multiplayer title. They're not some tiny indie studio, they're a big company that has made bank, the fact that they're still failing super hard with proper matchmaking is kind of silly.

Don't get me wrong I love the PVP to death, I maxed all covenants in DS2, but I'll be the first to admit that for all the fun there's just a massive pile of bad experiences due to the horrible matchmaking system.

Apr 5, 2008
Dark Souls combat in multiplayer is farcical. Magic is wholly useless, and it's just somersault central. It's amazing that rolling in this universe lets you bypass any weapon from any enemy at any range. It's appallingly bad.

And PvP is only PvP when it's consensual. When one is invaded, it's ganking. Dark Souls vs Multiplayer is horrible on every level. It's clunky, unbalanced, terribly implemented. Coop multiplayer is still fucking awful, but is a little more bearable. The worst crime is marrying all the online play together.

There are some players who like it, build characters and are into the lvl 120 meta. Fuck that. Good luck to them. It's horrible and nowhere near as good as any other competitive game one might mention.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
If you are talking about team based melee pvp, Chivalry is as good as it gets AFAIK. If you want something with more of the 1v1 duels, maybe Blade Symphony.

Either way, trying to just emulate the pvp of a souls game wouldn't have the same feel without the pve.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I hope not, FROM did that for armored core... yeah didn't go that well

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Just need DkS1 PvP on the next gen with a few small changes and give everyone a mule. The depth in the PvP system is incredible but for many people, the highest level of PvP is incredibly boring since it is mostly about positioning and using mind games to force your opponent into making a mistake.

KingsGambit said:
Dark Souls combat in multiplayer is farcical. Magic is wholly useless, and it's just somersault central. It's amazing that rolling in this universe lets you bypass any weapon from any enemy at any range. It's appallingly bad.
IMO the magic system is boring and it will either be too strong or too weak, so I feel it's better to let the much more interesting melee combat system shine through.

I don't know about DS2 or DS3, but rolling alot in DkS is punishable by side roll BS, not only that but it most likely is going to cost you a ring spot if you are actually trying and thus using DWGR. The best players tend not to roll much, only when they absolutely need to.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Rednog said:
Does it have potential? Sure.
But considering that we basically have 5 games in the Souls theme and they all have absolutely garbage multiplayer. I honestly wouldn't trust From Soft to make a competent multiplayer title. They're not some tiny indie studio, they're a big company that has made bank, the fact that they're still failing super hard with proper matchmaking is kind of silly.

Don't get me wrong I love the PVP to death, I maxed all covenants in DS2, but I'll be the first to admit that for all the fun there's just a massive pile of bad experiences due to the horrible matchmaking system.
Dude. They didn't make money off the multiplayer aspect. Also, devs who make multiplayer games can't even get proper matchmaking. How have you fault fromsoftware for something like that.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
make it a 10$/15$ and im cool with it, as way for PVP players to have something just focused on that, nothing at all related to exploration and shit, just combat. More then that and its kind of worthless.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Skin said:
Just need DkS1 PvP on the next gen with a few small changes and give everyone a mule. The depth in the PvP system is incredible but for many people, the highest level of PvP is incredibly boring since it is mostly about positioning and using mind games to force your opponent into making a mistake.

KingsGambit said:
IMO the magic system is boring and it will either be too strong or too weak, so I feel it's better to let the much more interesting melee combat system shine through.

I don't know about DS2 or DS3, but rolling alot in DkS is punishable by side roll BS, not only that but it most likely is going to cost you a ring spot if you are actually trying and thus using DWGR. The best players tend not to roll much, only when they absolutely need to.
Dark Souls 2 hexes. Hwargghl.

Yeah Im more interested in the melee. With parrys, shield breaks, different weapon animations, trying to figure out just how much stamina your opponent has and all that shit Dark Souls Multiplayer can really shine sometimes.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Always found multiplayer to be the 'worst' aspect of the souls games, don't get me wrong i enjoy it occaisonaly, suddenly being invaded can spice up the gameplay and adds some tension to exploring/playing especialy if you already have good area and enemy placement knowledge.

I did also realy like the blue sentinels covenant in DS2, i just wish it worked better, without the other players needing to be in the way of blue covenant, or atleast without needing to equip the rings.

But as others have mentioned it is technically inept, too much lag, just straight up useless skills/weapons and ofcourse the ever present hackers, nothing fun about fighting someone with an infinite stash of divine blessings.

As a side note i always thought invaders don't risk enough when invading, for the host they can lose everything if killed, the invaders just lose a consumable. It is somewhat unfair considering you also have no real control over being invaded short of offline play.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Seishisha said:
As a side note i always thought invaders don't risk enough when invading, for the host they can lose everything if killed, the invaders just lose a consumable. It is somewhat unfair considering you also have no real control over being invaded short of offline play.
Hmm well in Dark Souls 3 right now it feels alright to me. You have all the tools you need to favor the host heavily, giant tree seeds (look it up if you hate getting invaded), blue phantoms and the game seeming to favor matching Invaders to worlds with white phantoms already in them means that I usually only get 1 in 10 invasions sucessfully. And honestly Im fine with that, its super satisfying the rare times you win, and even losing is enjoyable. Making it that hard but giving us unlimited invasions so early is nice to me. Keeps things exciting. When you manage to get the host despite there being four players you feel like a god king.

Blue covenant never seems to trigger for me but theres always a knight ready when I need it and Id advise never being enkindled without the covenant to get help ready.