So I finally tried Attack on Titan

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It's pretty mediocre, I personally did not care much for it and I haven't bothered watching the second season.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's really slow, yeah. What I want to know is where the hell the country surrounding 100m tall walls came from.

If you can build those as a response to attacking Titans, you don't actually need to worry about Titans.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
It's been about a year but from what I remember I was very underwhelmed after I finished the first season of Attack on Titan. The premise and setting is interesting but the execution left me wanting. All my friends that like Anime were telling me how awesome of a show it is and how I needed to watch and I finally did.

The action is nice and pretty fluid with his great and the animation is fluid which is nice. Everything else though just felt overrated or underwhelming. I feel no desire if the characters live or die. Eren and Mikasa are cool but I don't remember anything note worthy about them as characters.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
bastardofmelbourne said:
I was thoroughly unimpressed by the first five episodes, at which point it turned into 10-metre tall naked people doing MMA. Then I was entranced.

Stick with it, is what I'm saying.
10 meters is not a lot. That would actually be a little silly. Like if all the titans were small big headed retarded ones.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
I couldn't get through the melodrama. Internal monologues of characters screaming inside of their own minds for 5 minutes was just no fun.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Queen Michael said:
Broderick said:
It's a purely okay series with a fantastic director(he was the guy that did Death Note and High School of the Dead). Unfortunately, the anime itself is rather slow, and the second season is a mess(said director did not direct the second season). It's a decent popcorn anime. I think it was popular because it came out around the time of the Zombie explosion in media(and titans themselves are, giant-ism aside, more or less take the same role as zombies).

It got a lot of people into modern anime, which is rather cool, but so did Sword Art Online...and less said about that anime the better.
Yeah, that's the thing about a lot of things that become huge hits--they come out at the right time and are pretty decent but not great. (For another example, see the novel and movie The Sheik.)

I never watched Sword Art Online, but the light novels are decent.
Sword Art Online: gorgeous animation, cool action scenes and decent voice acting. The first arc is okay, but the show suffers from poor writing. Kirito is the literal definition of a Gary Stu imo. The 2nd arc was completely garbage. I haven't watched SAO II so can't say my thoughts there.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Attack on Titan is one of those anime beginner shows, along with SAO and Death Note. Everybody watches them, and if they are your first anime, you generally think they are awesome, but once you start watching some other shows, they tend to be blown out of the water pretty quickly.

AoT has a great art style, compared to a lot of other shows, and is pretty edgy to boot. Other than that, the characters are mostly unlikable and pretty tropey, and the whole Eren twist kinda put me off the show because I much preferred the whole "us vs them" aspect, and I didn't really think that Eren was an interesting enough character to pretty much hold the weight of the world.

I still need to watch Season 2, but frankly, I cant expect it to be anything else other than more of the same.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I enjoyed the first season but agree that it peaks way too soon. The first few episodes also seem to have a different tone before it becomes typical anime. No masterpiece by any measure but stil enjoyable. For some reason the second season didn't really grab me as it didn't seem to go anywhere. Though maybe the story picks up so I'm inclined to atleast watch a few more episodes(only seen maybe the first three). The animation is terrific though. That's also one of the reasons I haven't dropped it yet. Also my expectations for modern anime are really, really low. Though I was actually surprised how good Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans was.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Thaluikhain said:
It's really slow, yeah. What I want to know is where the hell the country surrounding 100m tall walls came from.

If you can build those as a response to attacking Titans, you don't actually need to worry about Titans.
This is explained later in the series.