So I got DayZ from Steam.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
BUT i think Steam is deceptive for selling the game alongside finished products. Early Access needs its own seperate store with clear warnings about the unfinished and sometimes even non functional state of the games. Once again this is an example of Steam not giving enough consumer information and having abandoned all quality control. Its far too easy for someone to buy a game from the front page without fully seeing the game is a very early alpha. A lot of stuff is being vomited up on steam and clogging up the front page that is currently not worth it's money.
Really? I don't see how they could be more clear than they are. Below the warning in blue is a paragraph on it being early acess, the buy button is below that. Yes THREE boxes of text related to it being early acess and unfinished

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Stavros Dimou said:
#Absolutely no goal given to you by the game like missions,story or quests. You have to come up with your own thing to keep you interested.
The entire point of the game is that you make your own objectives. This can be anything. It could be clearing and fortifying an old military installation, collecting all the bicycles in one warehouse, meeting friends and having fun trekking through zombie infested towns, sniping other players from atop a water tower or capturing someone, stealing their clothes and force-feeding them rotten kiwis while blasting "having a wonderful time" over the voice chat. Beyond surviving, you have to come up with your own plan.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Welcome to Early Access, where features are missing everything is buggy. Zombies flat out don't work right now. There are barely and of them around, they move weirdly and walk straight trough fences, walls and entire buildings. There are no vehicles yet, weapon variety is low and there are many health conditions still missing.

I too have had a lot of downtime in that game, because stuff does not happen unless you very specifically make it. Survival is far too easy when the zombies are so bad and so many illnesses are missing, so the only real threat is other players. If you want action, stay in the towns and cities around spawn, or better yet go to the north-estern airfield. Always something going on up there.

I'd recommend you not play the game right now unless you are very specifically interested in doing so right away, damned be the bugs, glitches and unfinished features. I only play it very occasionally, and when I do it is with friends. And we don't take much care surviving, we're more into trying to get ourself into sticky and entertaining situations with other survivors!

...and of course it has no objectives/quests. It's working by the same logic as minecraft: you make your OWN objectives, quests and stories! You can even write in the game now with pen and paper, I'm doing my own little diary for people to find when they kill me.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I bought it the other week. I found it really frustrating at first getting to grips with the controls (I'm used to consoles) and I couldn't find any guns to defend myself.
The world is a bit empty but then I suppose it is the apocalypse....
I think I went nearly a week before bumping into a friendly and then I met two!
There was that awkward moment where we eyed each other up and tried to figure one another out.
At that moment another guy came rushing at us with an axe and we all worked together to kill the attacker.

For an alpha it's ok I feel. It is missing a lot though, cars and base building etc.
I think the game needs an incentive to get players working together more, the shoot on sighters are ruining the game a little. Especially when they know you have just spawned and have nothing of value on you.

ultimately it's not finished yet and won't be for ages, so if you don't want to have to put up with bugs and issues give it a miss.