So I guess I completely finished writing my book today.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Television has taught me something.

When you write a world and its inhabitants into existence, then it creates a new universe for them, where they live.

When you abandon that universe and stop writing its canon, then it is destroyed by meteors, all of your creations destroyed violently, and it will soon be forgotten and buried among whatever crappy sit-com Fox made in 5 minutes over their lunch break.

So I compulsively write a series of stories that I've self-published in order to keep it alive or else everyone one will die in a horribely gruesome way, and I may just hear a "where's out god now?!" in the corner of my ear.

Congratulations, this is very cool. If it gets published, please release the name. I haven't read anything in a while. And completely ignore the above text, that was garbage I made by hitting my keyboard a lot.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Jacco said:
So for discussion value, have you ever written a book? Or if not, accomplished something similar? How did you feel?
Nicely done... I could never work on the same project for 10 years... I'm too capricious in that sense, I keep feeling the necessity to flit from one to the other.

Anyway, I made an off the cuff announcement in one of the usergroups about getting paid for a paltry number of book sales (my KDP self-published thing), and almost instantly, three guys 'n girls (they know who they are! :D ) said they'd already bought it upon my linking it, or would shortly buy it... man, I love this place!

So, yeah... I've written a book, a horrendously long one, and all... what's worse is that it's only part one of three. Part two is half finished (more or less), but it's ground to a halt, sacrificed for studies, but I'll pick it up later on this spring, hopefully.

Captain Sunshine said:
Oh, on-topic, yes I've written! My biggest project was a horrific 100,000 word monstrosity that I started as a teenager and had to give up for my own health, lol. But hey, any writing you do is teaching yourself even if it comes to nothing. I went to Uni to learn to write better, spent 3 years doing very intense short stories and screenplays that were either very morbid or very 'indie', and then popped out the other end and said 'I miss kids books' and wrote one in a couple of months. And thanks to NaNoWriMo, I'm 50,000 words closer to finishing a silly sci-fi comedy too.
Keep going! 100000 is pretty par for the course for contemporary authors... mine clocked in at 195000 without its appendices! >_<

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I'm writing a video game that I considered at one point to convert into a book. Does that count?

What's the book called? I'd like to read it one day.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Without wanting to outdo you, a few months ago I finally went ahead and published my book No One Told No One on the Kindle Store after close to twenty years! I first started it in my early 20s when I was working in a bookshop. After something like 80,000 words I found I'd written myself into a very boring corner and the story was going nowhere. I set it aside for a year or so, and then met a girl who read it, loved it, and told me exactly where I'd gone wrong and how I could fix it. (I proposed to her the next day - I wasn't letting that one get away!)

A few months later I finished the first draft and sent it out to some publishers, one of whom was very interested and called me in for a discussion. She gave me some really useful feedback, sent me away and I completed a second draft which was significantly shorter and tighter, and almost the exact opposite of what she'd asked me to do. Somewhere around that point I realised that writing a children's novel was very, very unlikely to make me any money, and like an idiot I dropped the book like a stone and started a proper job.

Twelve years later, with my kids at the age I'd been writing for, I picked the printout out of a drawer and realised I'd been a fool to abandon it. I rewrote it one last time to bring it up to date with a world of mobile phones and broadband internet, and started sending it around again. But after a few rejections I thought screw this, the world has changed, and went ahead and published it myself.

Now it's sitting in the Kindle Store and I'm not quite sure what to do next!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Congratulations! May Thot himself smile upon your creation!

Ten years, now that is a long time. I hope that all goes well in publishing it. And it's a very good idea to use the last leg of the work to do some word pruning and some tidying up.

I rather like writing myself, but my house rule is that I'm not allowed to call myself a writer until I get something published. When I've developed my writing enough for a stranger with no interest in my happiness is prepared to part with money for my work, that is when I can claim titles. But with ten years of work and the book on the go, I'd say you've very well earned that.

Until I get there, it's at least one page 'a day as usual.

maidenm said:
Congratulations! Good luck with getting it out there!

I'm so jealous...

Any tips for an aspiring wannabe? Hate having the story in my head but not anywhere else...

Captcha: Unlimited Wishes
... I know...
I am really not an authority on this, but I'd say the best place to start is to get the story out of your head and on paper, in some form at least. If nothing else, it works like quality control. The good ideas will fly, and the less good ones usually wilter. Not to mention, it's usually great fun!

FlambeNobunaga

Mar 4, 2013
I'm an aspiring novelist currently 1/10th the way through the first in a futuristic fantasy trilogy. I've got all these great ideas but I can't really find the motivation to do it. Any tips?

Jun 16, 2010
Jacco said:
I've been working on it for nearly 10 years. It's gone through draft after draft and re-write after re-write. I've been working on it quite a bit since it's been winter break and I came to the realization today that I am done. The things I am changing are wording in sentences and miniscule stuff like that.
I printed it and am going to send it to my literary advisor tomorrow who has been after me to finish it for some time now. If all goes well, that will be the draft that gets to an agent.
Congrats, that's really cool! I've decided to get serious about writing this year, and signed up to a writing course/critique group.

Relish that sense of accomplishment, but don't let your momentum drop. They say actually writing a book is the easiest and least soul-destroying part of the publishing process. Even the greatest writers of our time have mountains of rejection letters in their closets. It's like you're trying to slay a dragon, and you've just finished making an awesome sword with which to do it... but you still need to actually face a dragon.

Good luck!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I wrote and published a novel when I was 16. While the experience has became precious to me, I started regretting the book the minute it got published. I should've gone through more drafts, changed more stuff, removed some of the more biographical aspects, etc, etc, etc. I guess I didn't really believe it would get published until it was too late. Sixteen is a turbulent age and you know how suddenly and conradictorily reality changes for teenagers every day. At 16 I was depressed, friendless, still a virgin, didn't have a job and my parents hadn't divorced. At 17 you don't think the same way as you did when you were 16 - let alone write the same way. You get the picture.

The best thing about publishing was the feedback. The moment someone who isn't friends or family or press and owes you no debt of attention whatsoever actually reads and comments your book is the moment I treasure the most and the one moment I don't feel is pretentious to call myself a writer. I wrote, I published, I was read and at least one person completely unknown to me loved it and counted it as a favorite. So it was a huge boost in confidence and self-worth for me. Overall publishing was very therapeutic since it allows you to achieve catharsis. However small and brief it stays with you.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I have only published Law related articles. I want to write a novel about trafficking but it would represent a considerable amount of effort and I don't know if I can do it. I have other ideas for novels, but I don't care much for them being published. Nowadays I only write for myself :)

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Before I say anything else, well done =)

I'm on draft 2 or 3 of my fantasy novel personally (depends on whether you count a long-ass summary as a rough draft) and I think I'm most looking forward to my first positive review and negative review.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
Congratulations. I'm trying to write a novel myself but it's so easy (for me at least) to fall into a trap of negativity. Doesn't help when you say 'I'd like to write a novel' and people respond that you'll never make any money, it's hard to get published, why don't you just sit down and watch reality TV with your mouth hanging open like normal people etc.

I used to write a lot but I lost my confidence - and opportunity for growth as a writer - when a teacher completely and utterly ripped into me for writing fantasy when I was younger. I just stuck to 'safe' stories after that.

Out of curiousity what genre is it?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
dylanmc12 said:
Television has taught me something.
When you write a world and its inhabitants into existence, then it creates a new universe for them, where they live.
When you abandon that universe and stop writing its canon, then it is destroyed by meteors, all of your creations destroyed violently, and it will soon be forgotten and buried among whatever crappy sit-com Fox made in 5 minutes over their lunch break.
So I compulsively write a series of stories that I've self-published in order to keep it alive or else everyone one will die in a horribely gruesome way, and I may just hear a "where's out god now?!" in the corner of my ear.
Congratulations, this is very cool. If it gets published, please release the name. I haven't read anything in a while. And completely ignore the above text, that was garbage I made by hitting my keyboard a lot.
Hahahahahaha. If that's what keeps you motivated, more power to you I guess. lol. One of the things I took care to do in my story was build what I call "meta-humor." Basically, the characters realize and comment on the absurdity of their situations and when something cliche happens they note it. lol

SckizoBoy said:
Keep going! 100000 is pretty par for the course for contemporary authors... mine clocked in at 195000 without its appendices! >_<
Holy monkey nut balls. 195 is HUGE. I guarantee you that you can trim it down to 110 if you tried. Some people like massive books, but 195 is like 900 printed pages in a hardcover. If you ever wanted to get it published traditionally, you would have to cut it down drastically. Most first time readers of an author simply aren't willing to put that amount of commitment into a book. Hell, even guys like Patterson and Clancy (God rest his soul) couldn't get away with that. lol
If it's any consolation, my first draft was 240k but I knew most of that was going to disappear in the editing process.

RaikuFA said:
I'm writing a video game that I considered at one point to convert into a book. Does that count?
What's the book called? I'd like to read it one day.
Yes! Of course it counts. I am writing a video game script as well. The vision I have for it is Gears of War meets Splinter Cell meets Dead Rising. It's gonna be pretty great. lol
My book is titled "The Angel of Darkness" and it is primarily a deconstruction of the urban fantasy genre. (by deconstruction, I mean it lays out how absurd most of those tropes are and makes fun of them. The characters even make fun of the generic title at one point by remarking that if they were in a book, it would probably be titled that)

Flatfrog said:
Without wanting to outdo you, a few months ago I finally went ahead and published my book No One Told No One on the Kindle Store after close to twenty years! I first started it in my early 20s when I was working in a bookshop. After something like 80,000 words I found I'd written myself into a very boring corner and the story was going nowhere. I set it aside for a year or so, and then met a girl who read it, loved it, and told me exactly where I'd gone wrong and how I could fix it. (I proposed to her the next day - I wasn't letting that one get away!)
A few months later I finished the first draft and sent it out to some publishers, one of whom was very interested and called me in for a discussion. She gave me some really useful feedback, sent me away and I completed a second draft which was significantly shorter and tighter, and almost the exact opposite of what she'd asked me to do. Somewhere around that point I realised that writing a children's novel was very, very unlikely to make me any money, and like an idiot I dropped the book like a stone and started a proper job.
Twelve years later, with my kids at the age I'd been writing for, I picked the printout out of a drawer and realised I'd been a fool to abandon it. I rewrote it one last time to bring it up to date with a world of mobile phones and broadband internet, and started sending it around again. But after a few rejections I thought screw this, the world has changed, and went ahead and published it myself.
Now it's sitting in the Kindle Store and I'm not quite sure what to do next!
You had a publisher interested and you tossed it away?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! haha most authors would give anything just to have an agent or publisher give them the time of day, much less actually be interested. Congrats on getting it onto the Kindle store. You should put it up on the Apple Book Store and Nook Store as well. That'll get it more exposure. What's it called? I've been looking for a new book to read.

FlambeNobunaga said:
I'm an aspiring novelist currently 1/10th the way through the first in a futuristic fantasy trilogy. I've got all these great ideas but I can't really find the motivation to do it. Any tips?
As I told someone above, write down your ideas and add to them as you think of more. Eventually you will see a plot start to develop. Also study the fantasy genre as a whole. There are certain tropes and plot points that are used a lot. Depending what you are trying to do with your story, you should know about them to either use them or stay away from them. Or in my case, make fun of them. lol
If you'd like, send me what you have and I'd be happy to look it over for you and offer some insight.

Treeberry said:
Congratulations. I'm trying to write a novel myself but it's so easy (for me at least) to fall into a trap of negativity. Doesn't help when you say 'I'd like to write a novel' and people respond that you'll never make any money, it's hard to get published, why don't you just sit down and watch reality TV with your mouth hanging open like normal people etc.
I used to write a lot but I lost my confidence - and opportunity for growth as a writer - when a teacher completely and utterly ripped into me for writing fantasy when I was younger. I just stuck to 'safe' stories after that.
Out of curiousity what genre is it?
Well it is indeed true that the chances of beoming a "super" author like J. K. Rowling or Stephenie Meyer are slim to none and that if you are not a super author, you will not make very much money. HOWEVER. Don't let that discourage you. I always told myself this: yes the chances are slim. But IT DOES HAPPEN so why can't it happen to me?
My book is technically urban fantasy, but it's more of a genre deconstruction of that where I make fun of the common tropes and plot points of that genre.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
I haven't touched my novel in... too long. I found a great blog though called terribleminds.com The author discussed how it took him maybe 5 or 6 years if memory serves me right, to finish his first book, but maybe 6 months to finish the sequel. You've overcome a great hurdle, accomplished and learned a lot, and hopefully it gets easier on your next project. Keep at it! I wish you luck!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
For starters: congrats! Personally, I want to be a writer, but I haven't got a change to actually write one yet... I should really get to it...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That's some serious dedication. Congrats, man!

Good luck getting it published! It can be a hassle, but I'm sure you'll find it worth it once you've finally got the first printed copy in your hands.

chattycathy

Nov 14, 2013
Congratulations! You must be so ecstatic and proud. I know I would be. I've been meaning to write for ages but I just never got down to it. The fact that you stuck with it and preserved, that says a lot about you. You are really inspirational!

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Jacco said:
You had a publisher interested and you tossed it away?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! haha most authors would give anything just to have an agent or publisher give them the time of day, much less actually be interested. Congrats on getting it onto the Kindle store. You should put it up on the Apple Book Store and Nook Store as well. That'll get it more exposure. What's it called? I've been looking for a new book to read.
I did drop the title into my original post (ha, like I'd miss out on *that* opportunity for self-promotion) but anyway, it's called No One Told No One. It's a bit of an oddity and hard to classify - from the responses I've had so far I think it's something people either completely love or just can't get into at all.

And yes, I was a fool. Partly it was stubbornness, though - while the publisher's criticisms were great, what she wanted me to do to fix them went very much against my vision of what the book was about. I've even turned it into an aphorism which I still stick to: 'Criticism is always right, advice is always wrong'.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
First off, congrats! That's something to be proud of!

I write in my spare time a fair bit, but only for myself, have never shown anything I've written to anyone. I mainly write short stories, as anything longer takes more planning and time than I am willing to put into something that I am not too good at, and that is only for me. I think the longest thing I ever wrote was about 30 pages or so, and that was a long time ago...
Oh, I also sporadically keep a diary, but that isn't so much for writing practise as for just getting my thoughts or feelings out :p

May 29, 2011
I am not good at keeping my attention on projects (I was diagnosed with ADD when I was like 9 and I'm going to assume I still have it.) I usually just do 10-20 page short stories because I can't hold my attention on any long project, and I usually give up on half of those. I don't put them anywhere because I'm not really confident about the quality, but I know I'm improving. Seriously my attention span is fucked, I haven't held a hobby for more then 6 months in the past 10 years.

It's really frustrating because I actually write very, very fast and if I could focus I could do so much more :(

I can't comprehend people who want to write and their first idea is to write a book. This is the first time you're writing seriously and you want to publish a full work? That's like trying to sell the first thing you've ever painted! I couldn't imagine even trying without fucking around for at least like 2 years, but maybe I'm just procrastinating.