So I just beat FTL...

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
On my 67th try using the Red Tail. I'm just terrible at micro-management I guess.

Of all my previous experience and many many different approaches I found out that (on easy at least) all you really need is a teleporter, an ion bomb and a half decent laser.

Board, destroy weapons, ion the med bay, kill some dudes, smash shields, unboard, kill.

I'd never even made it past the 2nd stage of the boss before so I was expecting something horrific from the final stage, but it just sat there and slowly died. Throughout the entire boss fight I only lost 4 bars of hull. It was almost anticlimactic. But I'm still happy since I thought I'd never beat the damn thing.

How did you kill it?
Are there items that you specifically aim to get before the final encounter?
How much harder is Normal difficulty?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
at first i was impressed, then i saw you beat it on easy

hehe i kid champ, normal is... hard, very, but make no mistake there are many ways to beat the game, specially now, ive beaten the last boss in many ways with different loadouts, from droids to laser barrages, from mind control to hacking, etc

basically the only thing ive havent tried are bombs and ion weapons

i suggest you capitalize on all the new and amazing options the devs added to the game, hacking in particular, can be really useful late game if you've been amassing droid parts

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Eh I kinda became a pro on easy mode >.< to much scrap giving you anything you could use a lot of the time.

I'm trying to beat it on normal with mantis B but not the best luck in getting boarders but I guess that's the fun of it. :p

Glaive beam still feels like the most powerful weapon, Flak cannons are awesome, Burst laser 2 is still your back up powerhouse.

Mind control is awesome if you like boarding, Hacking the nav is great if your using lasers of flaks, just gotta kinda tailor your run to what the game is nice enough to give you.

Oh and if your having problems micro managing your not pausing enough or long enough.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Idlemessiah said:
How did you kill it?
My last victory came in the Tetragon with Defense Drone II and the Shield Drone, as well as a Dual Laser, Ion II and Breach Missile. The defence drone shoots down most projectiles, hacking and boarding drones, while the super shield absorbs rocket hits really well and stops teleporting, hacking and mind control (so VERY useful in the last phase, although I did kill most of the crew beforehand.

Also, fire/small/breach bombs can be seriously good if you've saved up lots of ammo before the boss fight. Spam them enough at key systems and the flagship will just be crippled.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Vulcan. That thing shreds any ship, as long as your weapons bay doesn't get hacked or damaged.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Idlemessiah said:
On my 67th try using the Red Tail. I'm just terrible at micro-management I guess.

Of all my previous experience and many many different approaches I found out that (on easy at least) all you really need is a teleporter, an ion bomb and a half decent laser.

Board, destroy weapons, ion the med bay, kill some dudes, smash shields, unboard, kill.

I'd never even made it past the 2nd stage of the boss before so I was expecting something horrific from the final stage, but it just sat there and slowly died. Throughout the entire boss fight I only lost 4 bars of hull. It was almost anticlimactic. But I'm still happy since I thought I'd never beat the damn thing.

How did you kill it?
Teleporter with rockmen and lots of drones. Firstly MK2 defense drones to intercept as much of that multilaser attack as possible. Send the rockmen to disable their weapon systems one by one, then just launch missiles and ion into their shield generator. Then switch from defense drones to beam drone to finish them off.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
My first victory (which was on normal, I skipped easy entirely) involved me lucking into a scrap recovery arm and some extra burst lasers early on. I just snowballed from there, wound up with maxed (or near to it) shields, a good dodge rating, and crap tons of burst lasers. Just managed to pound the boss into submission and tank or dodge all of its hits, it was more than a little bit anticlimactic, especially since it was my first time getting to the last sector, let alone beating the boss. Not that it was all luck -- if I had been less skilled than I was at the time, I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of my luck, or minimize the times during that run when things /weren't/ going my way.

I kind of haven't played much since then. There's just this niggling feeling at the back of my head that I'll never top that run.

Edit: This was with the Type A Kestrel, by the way.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i just beat the game with the mantis ship layout A for the first time, boy is that one shitty ship, it relies way to much on luck early on in my opinion, but its the definition of snowballing, the ship is weak in the first few sectors, with zoltan ships and automated ships giving you untold amounts of trouble, but if you survive those first few sectors, you are pretty much unstoppable, i killed most of the crew on the final ship by the end of the first phase

also i just discovered the joy that is killing enemy crew members with their own med bay by hacking it, i cant imagine a more gruesome death, medical equipment inside your own ship going haywire and mutilating everyone inside the room, while they try to pry open the hacked doors

also scratch bombs and ion weapons from the things i hadnt tried, they were very useful specially bombs

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
\also i just discovered the joy that is killing enemy crew members with their own med bay by hacking it, i cant imagine a more gruesome death, medical equipment inside your own ship going haywire and mutilating everyone inside the room, while they try to pry open the hacked doors
YOU CAN DO THAT?!

Fuck. Now to go with my latest boarding ship I need a hacking device.

OT:

Lol. Easy. Scrub. Noob. Casual. Dick-ripper.

Is what I would say if I hadn't once suffered the trials of beating the end boss. But I did a rather funny thing in FTL - when I first started, I played on normal for the whole time until I won. Then, after I beat the game on normal without even touching easy, I played in easy and normal to get all the ships and achievements.

I think it's time for a hard run. Right now. It's time to assemble Picard, Arya and Rimmy and hope they don't all die due to someone hacking their medbay. (seriously, that's a fucking horrible way to go)

Everytime a thread like this pops up, I just want to play another game of FTL. DAMN YOOOOU!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Lil_Rimmy said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
\also i just discovered the joy that is killing enemy crew members with their own med bay by hacking it, i cant imagine a more gruesome death, medical equipment inside your own ship going haywire and mutilating everyone inside the room, while they try to pry open the hacked doors
YOU CAN DO THAT?!

Fuck. Now to go with my latest boarding ship I need a hacking device.

OT:

Lol. Easy. Scrub. Noob. Casual. Dick-ripper.

Is what I would say if I hadn't once suffered the trials of beating the end boss. But I did a rather funny thing in FTL - when I first started, I played on normal for the whole time until I won. Then, after I beat the game on normal without even touching easy, I played in easy and normal to get all the ships and achievements.

I think it's time for a hard run. Right now. It's time to assemble Picard, Arya and Rimmy and hope they don't all die due to someone hacking their medbay. (seriously, that's a fucking horrible way to go)

Everytime a thread like this pops up, I just want to play another game of FTL. DAMN YOOOOU!
yes, its amazing i love how hacking is useful for everything even boarding

board a ship, once the idiots on the enemy ship start running to their med bay after breaking one of their nails battling your crew, launch your hacking device at their medbay, and as soon as it latches onto the medbay, activate it, the hacking device closes the doors and causes the medbay to decrease the health of the occupants instead of increasing it (i dont know if this affects your crew as well), its a really effective way to kill off those crew members that always try to heal themselves mid battle, its very hard for them to get out of the med bay alive

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
Yeah, I'd imagine that would help when you have one of those boarding runs where the enemy keeps running back to their med bay and you JUST can't get their shields down to take it out. One of the weird stalemates you get sometimes.

WHERE ARE YOU RUNNING NOW?! HAAHAHAHAHAH!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Idlemessiah said:
Normal is a fair bit harder than Easy, but not nearly as luck-driven as Hard (for some ships; you need to have good airlock management to handle early boarders in Hard as most cruisers).

As for items...the "traditional" Flagship Kit is Teleporters + Cloak
Teleport to the enemy missile turret room, kill the crew and destroy the subsystem. Then proceed to Cloak-stall while it recharges so you can pick off all but one of the enemy crew. (don't kill the last one, trust me. Bad shit will happen.)

With Advanced Edition content, Hacking and Mind Control are both excellent new subsystems, though Hacking is better in general. With Hacking, you can employ a variety of strategies, though it perfectly supplements a boarding strategy. (I prefer hacking the cockpit to ensure a barrage connects at a critical time)

The weapon strategy varies greatly, but in general you want something to take out their shields quickly OR something that bypasses their shields to disable specific key systems.

-Ion Bombs are phenomenally useful; definitely a standout. With these, you can easily shut down the enemy shields, drone control, cockpit or medbay. It's extremely effective vs the Stage 3 Zoltan Shield too.

Some noteworthy weapons:
-Burst Laser MkII. Always pick these up. They're among the best general purpose weapons in the game. Stacked up, they can win fights on their own thanks to their excellent, ammoless damage ratio and good overall charge times.

-Vulcan Cannon: Similar to above, but it needs some stalling strategy to get rolling. Given enough time, an active Vulcan will destroy any ship by itself.

-Ion Blast Mk2: Basically required for beam strategies. With a trained gunner, it fires very quickly; enough to suppress any amount of shields permanently with enough time tolerance to miss a shot here or there. It's a boon for ships that only have 3 weapons slots, since it packs so much utility and combo potential into one slot (combos brilliantly with combat and beam drones too).

If you bought a Drone Control (usually a good idea)..
-Ion Boarders are the gold standard. They just wreak havoc inside the flagship. Boarding drones are a close second for the first and third stages.
Apart from that, Combat, Shield+, and Defense Drones are all very useful.

(Avoid Beam Drones unless you have a way of disabling their shields reliably and quickly.)

NuclearKangaroo said:

board a ship, once the idiots on the enemy ship start running to their med bay after breaking one of their nails battling your crew, launch your hacking device at their medbay, and as soon as it latches onto the medbay, activate it, the hacking device closes the doors and causes the medbay to decrease the health of the occupants instead of increasing it (i dont know if this affects your crew as well), its a really effective way to kill off those crew members that always try to heal themselves mid battle, its very hard for them to get out of the med bay alive
Hacking is fucking crazy OP.
The drone cost is so worth it, since there are so, SO many ways to just end an enemy ship's strategy with it.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Atmos Duality said:
Idlemessiah said:
Normal is a fair bit harder than Easy, but not nearly as luck-driven as Hard (for some ships; you need to have good airlock management to handle early boarders in Hard as most cruisers).

As for items...the "traditional" Flagship Kit is Teleporters + Cloak
Teleport to the enemy missile turret room, kill the crew and destroy the subsystem. Then proceed to Cloak-stall while it recharges so you can pick off all but one of the enemy crew. (don't kill the last one, trust me. Bad shit will happen.)

With Advanced Edition content, Hacking and Mind Control are both excellent new subsystems, though Hacking is better in general. With Hacking, you can employ a variety of strategies, though it perfectly supplements a boarding strategy. (I prefer hacking the cockpit to ensure a barrage connects at a critical time)

The weapon strategy varies greatly, but in general you want something to take out their shields quickly OR something that bypasses their shields to disable specific key systems.

-Ion Bombs are phenomenally useful; definitely a standout. With these, you can easily shut down the enemy shields, drone control, cockpit or medbay. It's extremely effective vs the Stage 3 Zoltan Shield too.

Some noteworthy weapons:
-Burst Laser MkII. Always pick these up. They're among the best general purpose weapons in the game. Stacked up, they can win fights on their own thanks to their excellent, ammoless damage ratio and good overall charge times.

-Vulcan Cannon: Similar to above, but it needs some stalling strategy to get rolling. Given enough time, an active Vulcan will destroy any ship by itself.

-Ion Blast Mk2: Basically required for beam strategies. With a trained gunner, it fires very quickly; enough to suppress any amount of shields permanently with enough time tolerance to miss a shot here or there. It's a boon for ships that only have 3 weapons slots, since it packs so much utility and combo potential into one slot (combos brilliantly with combat and beam drones too).

If you bought a Drone Control (usually a good idea)..
-Ion Boarders are the gold standard. They just wreak havoc inside the flagship. Boarding drones are a close second for the first and third stages.
Apart from that, Combat, Shield+, and Defense Drones are all very useful.

(Avoid Beam Drones unless you have a way of disabling their shields reliably and quickly.)

NuclearKangaroo said:

Hacking is fucking crazy OP.
The drone cost is so worth it, since there are so, SO many ways to just end an enemy ship's strategy with it.

i kind of agree, it should cost more atleast

one thing ive noticed, in my experience atleast, is that hacking only really becomes crazy useful late in the game, not so much early on

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Boarding really does make the final boss easy, if you want a ship to try in Normal, I'd definitely go for the Carnelian (Although you need to have gotten the crystal cruiser, which is a test in endurance/luck anyway). Seriously though, the Carnelians fucking broken. 1 crystal 3 Mantis teleport and you can disable any system pretty much instantly without any defense from the enemy. And it starts with shields + stealth. Weapons are hardly needed early game anyway, as long as you avoid Zoltan sectors (which, lets be honest, you should be avoiding on difficulties above easy)

To answer the OP's question, my first and only normal win was my first game as the Carnelian (I play Mantis ships mostly, so it hit my niche) and I got a fair bit of luck as well.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yeah, I suck balls at that game. But I still love it. I've owned it for almost a year and I still haven't beaten it. Just last month I made it to the final area, only to be boarded by a team of three mantis soldiers and was completely destroyed.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
My most recent victory was about 10 minutes ago with the Bulwark (Type A Rock Ship), and it was my first victory as that ship. Ended up beating it with only 2 health remaining with pretty basic systems; only a Drone system for a Defense Drone II.

Weapons were Artemis, Hull Missile, Pegasus, Hull Laser... So form two was a nightmare with missiles either missing or getting shot down by it's own Defense Drone. Explosive Replicator augment really helped me to stockpile missiles for the encounter though.

I normally prefer going up against it with bombs, Breach Bomb II ideally, though Fire Bomb I'll take as a second choice (mostly because I just love fire weapons). Using these to work down shields along with laser barrages, targetted at crew. If I get Mantis crew, I always try to go for adding a teleporter, though cloaking has worked wonders for me in all three phases.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
so far the best run I did was getting to the flagship phase 2 on easy. I had about ten missiles left with a set of weapons that relied on the missiles to weaken the flagship. I beat the first phase of the fight then had about 1 or 2 missiles left for the second phase. I was horribly destroyed on the second phase. also my micro managing was kinda shit in the second fight.

although on that run I unlocked red-tail(kestrel layout b) so I got something out of this run. during this run I had 2 Mantises on my crew and ran into a crew teleporter in a store. this was the first time I used a crew teleporter in a game ftl and I must say it is a fun way to eliminate the enemy ships. I can imagine it being very effective if I had a weapon setup that supported this play style.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I made it to the flagship for the first a couple of days ago and was promptly destroyed by it because my ship just wasn't good enough. Better luck next time.

Redflash

Mar 21, 2012
Congratulations grasshopper! A fellow's first FTL victory is something to savour, I hope there was a lot of air-punching involved.

I just nailed down a hard run with the Zoltan B about 20 minutes ago, first time trying a run that focused on utilising the hacking system since I got an early opportunity to install it. Was pretty intense, pretty much the first time I've beaten the boss without cloaking or a defense drone involved.

Keep going and tackle medium once you think you're ready, you're a MANtis now my son.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
The key to winning is to buy ALL THE GUNS.

Zigzag around each sector to find shops, and then loop around to hit as many systems as you can to maximize scrap for purchases. Only upgrade when you need more shields or weapon energy. Most upgrades are not as useful as adding more firepower.

Stacking lasers works well for most encounters but you'll want missiles or bombs for the flagship. Just one small bomb launcher or breach bomb is enough to basically win the game for you.

I don't like ion guns--why disable systems when you can break them? I also don't like beams. They are useless until you disable enemy shields, but at that point anything is effective. Beams are slow and have high power costs, might as well use something that has more general purpose utility. The exceptions are the bio beam or the fire beam, because they lend themselves to crew killing strategies.

People say you need a teleporter and a cloaking device--trust me you don't. Sure, teleporting crew to wreck the flagship's weapon systems is an effective strategy. But so is dropping a few bombs or missiles in there, which is usually faster and doesn't tie up extra power and crew. The cloaking device is a straight up waste of scrap. Focus on getting level 8 shields and weapons.

A drone system is insanely useful with a defense drone, not just for the flagship but for all the random encounters with missiles. They are really common and I always find one by the final sector.