So... I Just Became a Vegetarian

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
tscook said:
Though, the first step to getting healthier is cutting out soda. Full stop.

A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain[link] [http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/]
Been there, done that. Though I admit it would always come back somehow.

But, anyway, it goes out the door with the meat. :D

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
FlyAwayAutumn said:
A more natural lifestyle is not to just flat out stop eating meat. From what I understand (and I don't pay attention to this kind of thing very much) people are usually vegetarians because they're "Humanitarians" so if you're not a "Humanitarian" you can still eat meat just don't eat it all the damn time and have a more balanced diet.

There I'm done talking about "Nutrition" now I feel all dirty. I'm gonna go talk about sex or some other thing.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Get yourself a George Foreman Grill(seriously, they're awesome) and keep eating that meat!

Anyway, good luck with the whole thing. I'd say its much healthier to just prepare meat in a healthy way, and make sure you eat it with all that other nutritious crap you're supposed to be eating. There's really no reason to cut it out completely, considering it has things your body needs. But, hey. Its your choice. Good luck either way.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
Eat like the Japanese, high protein, low fat, occasional carbo.

Seaweed, rice, fish, steamed chicken/beef/pork.

The only sauce is soy sauce, small portions less oil and spices.

Look at photos of Kojima 47 and Miyamoto 58 and you'll understand

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
Cool, more meat, for the meat-eaters.

Yes, I'm serious; I don't care what your justification is, I refuse to let your personal moralizations affect my ability to eat a bacon-cheeseburger. I credit you for having strong convictions, and I wish you success with your new diet choice, but cows are slow and stupid, and I'm quick, and smart enough to kill, butcher, cook and consume them, and I will continue to do so.

I wish you luck, and hope that you find entertaining and flavourful way to prepare your soy and veggie dishes, because I've had some bad ones.

iTeamKill

Dec 17, 2007
Healty eating comes from portion sizes, not just veggies. You'd probably start to be come sickly if you just cut all muscle protein from your diet suddenly. Avoid soy protein! it causes man boobies!

Woodscare

of Awesometon
Sep 18, 2009
robert022614 said:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/ab3f/

two tips that might help you along...good luck
I am seriously considering getting this, if it actualy works my diet will change for the better

tscook

Aug 9, 2009
iTeamKill said:
Healty eating comes from portion sizes, not just veggies. You'd probably start to be come sickly if you just cut all muscle protein from your diet suddenly. Avoid soy protein! it causes man boobies!
As I said earlier in the thread you have be eating ridiculous quantities of soy, beyond what you could actually eat, before any physiological changes happened.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Aerodyamic said:
Cool, more meat, for the meat-eaters.

Yes, I'm serious; I don't care what your justification is, I refuse to let your personal moralizations affect my ability to eat a bacon-cheeseburger. I credit you for having strong convictions, and I wish you success with your new diet choice, but cows are slow and stupid, and I'm quick, and smart enough to kill, butcher, cook and consume them, and I will continue to do so.

I wish you luck, and hope that you find entertaining and flavourful way to prepare your soy and veggie dishes, because I've had some bad ones.
No real intent on changing anybody's perceptions. In fact, I prefer you do whatever the hell you want. I sure am. ;)

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
TheDrunkNinja said:
Anyway, down to the bare bones of the topic: I would like some tips. Anything you guys can give me to help me along with this endeavor of mine. I know I'm being vague, but that's because I don't know much beyond the "don't eat meat" part. I figure this is a good discussion thread.
My suggestion is (if you are not getting rid of meat for ethical reasons)to eat meat every once in a while. Otherwise the bacteria in your stomach (i think that is where it is) won't live and you cant eat meat without throwing it back up for feeling really shitty for a few days.

smartass tip: wrap everything green in bacon. It will taste better.

Doctor Panda

Apr 17, 2008
Well, i've been a vegetarian for about 10 years now so i guess that gives me some knowledge.

Basically eating well as a vegetarian requires you to be a little more creative and adventurous with your food. You will live an unhealthy and unfulfilling life if you run around with meat substitutes or try looking for recipes on web sites populated by non vegetarians who go 'i made exactly the same thing without meat/add tofu and it was alright' and everyone goes 'that's a great recipe- i just added some bacon so it's delicious'. Tofu has its place, in fact it can be fantastic, but it is NOT a meat substite. After all, it has almost no taste of its own but takes up flavours well which is just about the opposite of say, bacon.

Meat substitutes and precooked meals should be avoided for health reasons except as occasionally something to bring to a bbq (or instead, try field mushrooms)

The most satisfying vegetarian food i know actually come from the middle east - lots of bean, lentil dishes that are absolutely delicious. Comining them + whole grains (i.e. eat some bread at some point in a day) gives a full balance of protein. Mediterranean, indian and african, moroccan food also has its charms.

My personal favourite recipe book is mardur jafferey's world vegetarian. The international vegetarian society has an extensive list of recipes online though, some of which are quite good, which should give you a good idea of what sort of food you like.

Nifarious

Mar 15, 2010
TheDrunkNinja said:
Just a quick addition, I will not, nor will I ever, eat tofu. :D
Dude, you're definitely going to want to get yourself some tofu if you're going veggie. Tofu isn't about birkenstocks and dreadlocks, if that's your issue. It's about Asian food, plain and simple. It's cheap, versatile, healthy, easy to prepare, and takes on flavors well. Just get the basics of stir fry down and you'll find out what I mean. The texture of it fried a bit is really nice and it's always light and refreshing, excellent in the summer. I'd also consider switching for soy milk too.

I used to be vegetarian, but as much as I prefer it, the time and effort it takes to have and prepare fresh veggies was just too much of a constraint. A well prepared vegetarian dish has way more powerful flavor and variety than a strait up meat entree (and yes, I've had the best of both worlds...the best meat dishes are only those paired well with vegetables), but the quick options for vegetarian eating, while doable, can't compare to the quick meaty sandwich or burger, ect.

Anyway, good luck, man.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
No real intent on changing anybody's perceptions. In fact, I prefer you do whatever the hell you want. I sure am. ;)
Like I said, I hope you have a good batch of recipes, because I've experienced far too many BAD vegetarian dishes.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
As somebody who has been a vegetarian for over a year (healthy, athletic, best shape of my life, etc), I guess I should give some advice:
First and foremost, congrats! It's an admirable choice, as long as it is your own. Just remember to not rub it into people's faces, as that tends to piss them off.
Second, take vitamin supplements. It is possible to get enough iron from beans, but it's a bit challenging to balance your diet.
Third, don't believe this crap about needing meat in your diet. Plant proteins are no different from animal proteins, and you only need 8 amino acids from those anyway (assuming you're no longer a toddler). Beans/tofu/cottage cheese are your friend here
Fourth, give tofu a shot. I can't expect you to love it, but it is extremely versatile if you know how to cook with it. Plus it's nutritious and all that...
Fifth, being a vegetarian does not mean automatic fitness. Get some exercise...

Lavi

Sep 20, 2008
At least eat fish :/ Tasty tasty fishies. Don't worry, they are too stupid to count as an animal.

I hate almost all meat. The only things I eat of it regularly are chicken and fish.