So...I Just Bought A Ps3 On Impulse. Now What?

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Get a super cheap multiplatform game you already love and start your Platinum Trophy collection. That's what I'd do.

Apr 25, 2009
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I had some birthday money and really wanted to play Demon's Souls, so I managed to get one for about $200. I've had a fantastic time with DeS, and I've got a few other games in mind. I just want to feel like I got my money's worth, you know?

On my list to get once I've saved up a bit is definitely Journey, I've been wanting to play this for ages. Also Flow. I'll see if I can find that special edition somewhere. The Team Ico HD remake. Love those games to death and I'd like to see what they've done.

That's about it for now, I'll see what else I can find.

I'm just kind of upset they removed the backwards compatibility. My PS2 still works fine but it would have been nice and very convenient to be able to play my PS2 games on the PS3.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
AetherWolf said:
Infamous. Again, I didn't play Infamous 2 because of the mixed reaction but maybe it's worth checking out.
inFAMOUS2 got mixed reactions? From who? I know the series itself doesn't get as much acclaim as other triple-A titles, but from what I've seen the sequel was very well regarded by the fans of the original. One of the most solid sequels of the previous generation I'd say.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
These have most likely already been recommended but here they are anyway.

Hatsune Miku: project Diva F.

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed.

Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2.

Hakouki: Stories of the Shinsengumi.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Bat Vader said:
These have most likely already been recommended but here they are anyway.

Hatsune Miku: project Diva F.

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed.

Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2.

Hakouki: Stories of the Shinsengumi.
I have mixed feelings about Hakuoki actually.
Very decent, but I only enjoyed two routes, so it's like only 20% of the game.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Catherine, just because nobody said that before. It's a relatively hard puzzle game dealing with relationship issues in an appropriate manner. So it has everything you need.

Another one, Nier, I only recommend hesitantly, because while it does have a lot of redeeming qualities (some rather out-there genre switches and fun references to other video games, awesome soundtrack, good atmosphere and at times having made me feel like I was playing Ocarina of Time for the first time again) it does come with some serious issues. One of the characters is annoying beyond belief, the story sometimes gets too melodramatic and the combat system isn't too fantastic. But if you're interested in a game that does take some risks despite being relatively big budget, this one is for you.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I would take advantage of the fact that you have access to Japanese exclusives. I can only think of one right now, Another Century's Episode R, which came out in 2010. It's odd because I really don't like anime or dialogue-heavy games, but ACE R looks interesting enough.

It doesn't end with just the PS3 because there are plenty of DS and Vita titles that will never hit Europe or the US as well.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Lots have been mentioned already, but here are my must haves on the PS3:

Uncharted series
The Last of Us
Yakuza 3 and 4
LA Noire
Heavy Rain
Journey
Metal Gear Solid 4 (or go for the full collection if you want..)
Wipeout HD
Killzone series
Binary Domain (underrated shooter)

Note; I on purpose avoided the most common multiplatform games, as I assume you've played these already.

AetherWolf said:
- WipEout HD. Best. Racing game. Ever. This one actually introduced me to the WipEout series a few years back and honestly, it's now among my favorite game franchises. RIP Studio Liverpool, I barely knew ye.
Finally some Wipeout love!

AvtrSpirit

Oct 18, 2012
My top tier recommendations on the PS3 are:

Journey ---------------- unqualified recommendation. Play it online. Even if you don't like it, you've only lost 2 hours.
The Last of Us --------- if you can handle gore, stealth, and emotions.
Valkyria Chronicles -- if you like strategy.
Uncharted 2 ----------- playing 1 will give you more backstory. But 1 is not nearly as much fun.
Sorcery ----------------- if you already have a move controller. If not, don't buy one.
Mirror's Edge ---------- if you like parkour.

My second tier recommendations are:

Infamous series
Ratchet & Clank ---- I love it for all the crazy weapons, and some subtle adult humour.
Ni No Kuni ----------- great art and sound. Decent pokemon-like play.
Heavy Rain ---------- interactive fiction. It allows you to fail. I did.
Heavenly Sword ---- good gameplay, good story. Nothing groundbreaking.
Flower ---------------- for when you are feeling stressed and just want to chill