So I just bought a PSP...

evilengine

Nov 20, 2009
So I just bought a PSP for a reasonable price. However I've suddenly realized I don't know many decent games for it. The only game I know I want is Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles, but aside from that I don't know any 'good' games. Can anyone recommend me a must-have or a seriously enjoyable game? (preferably no JRPGs)

Cheezeypoofs

Professional Brony
Dec 19, 2010
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Logged over 800 hours into that game and still can't beat it. While technically it is an RPG from Japan, there is no leveling other than new gear and personal skill. Greatest PSP game I've ever played and one of the best across all systems.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Dissidia 2 - really great fighting game with a surprisingly detailed levelling system. Generally I prefer my DS, but anytime I play my PSP it's always to go on either Dissidia or FF Tactics

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
Cheezeypoofs said:
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Logged over 800 hours into that game and still can't beat it. While technically it is an RPG from Japan, there is no leveling other than new gear and personal skill. Greatest PSP game I've ever played and one of the best across all systems.
This. nothing big to add on that.
if you like challanges and fighting stuff several times your size just equipped with your own skill and gear you made from stuff you have slain before.. this is your game. (Unless youc an read japanese and get your hands on Freedom 3rd.)

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
There really aren't a lot of good ones which is why I sold mine a few weeks ago for a reasonable price ;D Though there are a few I can recommend

Burnout legends (basically a burnout 3 port with bits of 1 and 2)
GTA stories series
Medal of honor heroes 2 (I remember it having decent online though that may have gone down by now, also the first one was pretty meh)
Rainbow Six Vegas
Final Fantasy 7 - Crisis Core (yes I read your post but it's actually a good game, one of the two JRPGs that I've ever liked)

I also recommend softmodding it so you can play basically anything 5th gen and earlier.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Zac Smith said:
Lumines, I recently found my PSP with Lumines, n it's keeps me busy for hours
Best suggestion ever.

One of my fave PSP games.
I poke around with the Final Fantasy games as well, and Star Wars Battlefronts.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Before I gave up on mine entirely, this is what I played:

-Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
It's the same game as the PSX classic, but portable and with the ENTIRE script/dialogue redone to remove all forms of "Engrish". It also has some new content in it.

-Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: A good game, but it has two critical flaws.
1) The insane amount of grind
2) The PSP's camera layout is literally, physically painful to use; to the point where I had to stop playing my PSP.
Also, I cannot recommend on PSP unless you don't own any console (the PS2 has this game in some form, and with MUCH better controls) or if you aren't going to Ad-Hoc LAN it.

That's basically it. I hear Patapon is decent, but I wasn't particularly impressed.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Zac Smith said:
Lumines, I recently found my PSP with Lumines, n it's keeps me busy for hours
Indeed, Lumines is easily the best "falling block" puzzle game I've played since Tetris. Hell, it's BETTER than Tetris in alot of respects.

Lets see, if you like balls-hard action platformers, then maybe you should check out the Prinny series. Reminds me alot of classic 16-bit platformers, although they're DAMN hard. But maybe you like that. Plus, they've got a great sense of humor.

If you're into fighting games, you should check out Darkstalkers Chronicles: The Chaos Tower. It's a good opportunity to get aquainted with Capcom's OTHER fighting game series.

Aside from that, I can't think of that much, but then again, I bought a PSP SPECIFICALLY for the JRPGs, since the system has so many.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
If you can track it down, Warhammer 40k: Squad Command is worth a look. I don't have a PSP, but I have the DS version of the game (the only difference is that the PSP has better graphics). It's a linear turn-based tactical game that plays like the on-foot segments of X-COM.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
If you like Metal Gear, Peace Walker is an absolutely fantastic game.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker all the way.

and X-men legends 2 if you want a diabloesque x-men based game.