So I just finished LOST and...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
So it was really really good but I am just wondering one thing. Okay, so if the whole other story of them back to normal, was them just basically passing on to the next life. That doens't make much sense...

Kate, Miles, Sawyer, Claire, Richard, and Frank, all made it off the island.

Desmond, Hugo, and Ben, while on the island never died...

So then how would they be moving onto the afterlife if they didn't die..?

Was this never explained?

Sirpipple

Aug 17, 2010
They all died on the plane crash from my understanding but that show was VERY CONFUSING >.< Gah!

Gennaroc

Jul 30, 2011
Nah the idea was that the 'alternate universe' where they never crashed was in fact a communal purgatory for all the characters to sort out their final issues with eachother before moving on. The characters did not have to all die at once in order to be there, for example Kate, Sawyer, Richard etc probably lived long lives and died in their old age, but came together with everyone else in purgatory to move on together. Time was irrelevant.

Also first post defending LOST, how fitting:D

Jun 13, 2010
My understanding was that after the events that occurred on the island the characters that were still alive all just lived out their lives naturally. Then after everybody died the whole flash sideways thing or whatever they called it started.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I gave up on the series pretty early on when I realized they were just making it up as they go along...<.<

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Sirpipple said:
They all died on the plane crash from my understanding but that show was VERY CONFUSING >.< Gah!
Wrong.

Gennaroc said:
Nah the idea was that the 'alternate universe' where they never crashed was in fact a communal purgatory for all the characters to sort out their final issues with eachother before moving on. The characters did not have to all die at once in order to be there, for example Kate, Sawyer, Richard etc probably lived long lives and died in their old age, but came together with everyone else in purgatory to move on together. Time was irrelevant.
Right.

The "flash sideways" were them all meeting to head on into the afterlife. Ben didn't go because he needed more time to think about his life, while the rest of them were at peace with everything they had done. Time had no place in that "realm" (if you will).

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sacman said:
I gave up on the series pretty early on when I realized they were just making it up as they go along...<.<
actually: http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1184006p1.html

You could tell also by the fact that they found the bodies and stones in the cave. Which were actually the bodies of Barry and their mother.

Gennaroc said:

Also first post defending LOST, how fitting:D
That explains it. I will say, when Jack died, I felt quite sad.