So I Just Got a Cat...

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
Most cats "shy phase" depends on why they're shy. She's either shy because she's in an unfamiliar place, which means it won't last long, or shy because she's afraid of you, in the stray cat sense. You can try to coax her out by giving her treats or food, then back away until she comes out to eat it. It'll be nice if you can stay within her sight, so she can get used to the fact that you won't attack her.

Scratching her collar is normal, but if it bothers you or if she's really scratching it raw, I advise something like Advantage or Frontline. They're liquids, so you just squeeze it onto their nape and wait for it to dry. There's less expensive generic type ones too.

If you leave her alone, try to leave her in a single well ventilated room with the door closed. Also, leave a toy or two, like a small ball or the feather duster type ones. As long as she has access to food water and litter she'll probably be fine, especially since she's not too fond of you yet anyways.

Toxoplasmosis you get from handling their waste, so just wash your hands after you play around their litterbox.

As long as your cat is scared and hiding I recommend not moving her stuff from where it is, or better yet, moving everything to a single low-traffic room, like your bedroom. Let's them get used to a small area without feeling overwhelmed by the space, getting lost, etc. I also recommend getting a covered litterbox: it helps a bit with the smell since most of them have filters on, and it stops them from throwing the litter everywhere. It also means she likely won't try to run and scatter piss everywhere if you walk by. Privacy and all.

AndyFromMonday said:
Is there any way to get her to stop climbing on beds and such or is this just another little quirk I'll have to live with?
Buy her nail covers. I get them from petsmart, they're like little silicon-ish nail moulds that you glue over their nails. When they're on the cat can try to scratch, but no damage. I only put them on my cat's front nails, so she can still climb (jumping up on my high bed, scaling bookcases...) and fight (should she ever get out of the house or if the dog's playing rough).
[link]http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4033287[/link]
Of course you both need to be comfortable with clipping nails. Or you can use a spray bottle and loud noise. They're very good cat deterrents, although you'll want to be a bit sneaky and pretend it wasn't you so they don't associate you with punishment.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
I have two cats that my fiance rescued as feral cats. They continue to hide when "strangers" come over but they got used to me pretty quick. We didn't force a meeting, they just warmed up to me after a while. Just let the kitty come to you and you'll be fine.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
MassiveGeek said:
UGH, I want a cat so bad...

Anywho, don't stress her and she'll eventually make herself comfortable. If you have to walk past her or decide to approach her don't stare her down try to just mind your own business so she won't feel threatened. If you're going to attempt to interact with her, sit down a bit away from her and let her come to you.

... Uhuhuhu, I want a fucking cat of my own.
Do what my friend did, and get a grey one and call it Gandalf. Please.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
You! You have not posted one single adorable picture of said cat on a public forum, and yet you call yourself a cat owner. For shame!

Mar 30, 2011
When I got my cat, she was just a kitten and was a bit sick after having licked the detergent used at the pet shop. When we got home I showed her a bowl of food, her litter box. Then, as she was really timid, held her like a baby for approx 2 hours, during which time she slept. When she woke up/started to stir and want to move, I put her down by her food and left her alone for an hour.

After this she was quite friendly. She still prefers to do her own thing, but hangs around me and my family, especially when we are gardening.

Just NEVER frighten your cat with water, we had to give her a bath after getting herself covered in oil, and now she never lets us even touch her if there is water nearby.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
Pretty much all of your questions have been covered. So all I will say is this, chill out. Seriously. If you're calm, your cat will be calm. Animals can pick up on our emotions and will behave accordingly. An agressive dog who senses that you are afraid will be more likely to attack etc. Just leave the cat alone, make sure there's food where the cat can reach it without having to go out into the open too much, to ease it into it. As for the flee colar, if it's an indoor cat, do take that shit off. Don't mess around with your pet's neck for nothing.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
AndyFromMonday said:
She's 3 months old by the way.

I'd also like to move her litter box and feeding bowls once she adapts to her new home. Will she get upset if I do that?
Move them slowly

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
I drew a picture of your cat on the popular application MS paint.
I ant you to frame it and treasure it always.
Actually, that's exactly what she looks like.