So I just played Katawa Shoujo...

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
It is my "game" of the year, I completely loved this game and thought it was a good example of how you can make something amazing out of a touchy subject. My ranking would go:

Hanako > Lilly = Rin > Emi >>>>>>>> Shizune

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Can't believe it's been a year already since Rin's path mentally broke me.
I was not the same after playing that game, I was planning on playing it again, probably going through Rin's story a second time because I'm at the stage where I'm starting to forget about all the nuances of it and it'll probably feel fresh in my mind again.

Depressed me like all hell get out mind you, seriously, nothing's hit me right in the feels as much as Rin's path did.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I didn't really find the writing as spectacular as everyone seemed to think it was. Emi was both boring and awkwardly written in places. Hanako was predictable and a couple of things about her story rubbed me the wrong way. Shizune's story was worse than canc- eh, pretty bad. I never finished Lily's story, so to be fair I guess it might have gotten good by the end. The major exception for me personally had to be Rin.

Oh man, Rin. That one hit me where it hurt. It didn't help that her character felt so well developed. I actually started doing a drawing as sort of tribute to Rin a while back, but ended up abandoning it because of tablet problems and other reasons. Hell, I might as well post it here, since I don't think I'll ever finish it.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
When it was first released, it made so much buzz that i decided to check it out. Hadn`t played/read any VN-s before, but since it was free and all, and everyone on the Escapist was saying good things about it, i tried it out. And well, i liked it. I don`t think it was mindbogglingly good, but it was interesting and well-made, and quite enjoyable. And not what i was expecting. So, yeah. It really surprised me, as well. I played through Emi-s route, and a bit of Lilly's, as well.

Also, i did play Dear Esther, too. I´m really not sure what to think of it. I don`t think i got the idea of it, I´m afraid. Still, it had some very beautiful sights to see, especially that whole underground cave and river system. Damn, those crystals and markings on the walls looked beautiful!

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
You seem to be stuck in the mindset that 4chan = /b/. Thats just one board out of like thirty, pretty much all the other ones keep to their subject matter and actually discuss it. Actually the videogames board is a bad example of that but still you've played the evidence.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
You should all consider joining the Katawa Shoujo user group!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Katawa-Shoujo-Fans

Shdwrnr

Waka waka waka
May 20, 2011
This is the way you play Katawa Shoujo:

Step 1: Pick a girl.
Step 2: Wind up on Emi's path by accident.
Step 3: Fail Hanako's path and realize you're a terrible person for trying to be a good person.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
uchytjes said:
also:

Emi is best, better than all the rest
That's not how you spell Hanako!

Anyway, good job! Also, be honest, did you accidentally get Emi first because you thought that you'd quite like to NOT die?

ChupathingyX said:
Fun fact: Today is the one year anniversary of Katawa Shoujo.
Celebratory wank!

Elois

Dec 10, 2012
uchytjes said:
Emi is best, better than all the rest
I agree, got her first and just loved it. Amazing visual novel written by awesome people.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Shdwrnr said:

Step 3: Fail Hanako's path and realize you're a terrible person for trying to be a good person.
This is exactly what happened to me =D Except I succeeded in Hanako's path because I used a walkthrough (which frankly, I recommend. The way you get onto each path can be really obtuse and I didn't feel like being rewarded or punished for a choice was particularly interesting considering how the choice mechanic worked. The good aspect of the choice mechanic was the story required you to want to be in a relationship with a particular person and choosing allowed this perfectly. Hanako's storyline is particularly effective because of this. But you get that experience better by using a walkthrough)

Jove said:
I can't believe it's been a year already :(.

Hanako's Route:
I really enjoyed her route too because of how much she grew as a character, and I'm also a sucker for the cute shy types. My biggest complaint though is...well the sex scene....
It is meant to be like that though. And the big negative shock you get from it is exactly whats meant to be felt. I am kinda not okay with it too. Thats a very disturbing thing to force on someone, considering that games naturally promote placing yourself in the protagonists shoes.

Hanako's storyline was so good though it actually had an affect on my life. I pretty much learnt a huge important lesson that would have taken a colossal messup and lots of wasted years to get to otherwise. KS proves the power of games and narrative in general

ChupathingyX said:
Fun fact: Today is the one year anniversary of Katawa Shoujo.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, now go and try out other VN's.
Have you got some recommendations? And also should I still look for other VNs if I thought the worst aspect of the game was that it was a visual novel?

I'm pretty big on loving all interactive works and not judging them on the degree of interactivity, but I want every aspect to be well thought out and included with purpose and it seemed to me that KS was going through the motions and including things because they're genre types. If you look back up to the top of my post I talk about how I feel the choice helps the story and I think it's clear that they weren't really thinking about this and just including it because it's a VN thing. And I find the actual clicking through dialogue something of a hindrance although I hope its something I get to.

Actually even with all that I'd still love some recommendations. I hope the idea of a visual novel dies in a fire because I want people to develop things without playing to the book of some genre but I hope visual novels themselves get more and more popular and show more people the other exciting end of the interactive spectrum and just how powerful it can be and the incredible things that can be created

EDIT: The exception is visual novels with no interactivity at all, just clicking through text with music and pictures. Thats a medium by itself, like film and comics and all the cleverness their can be concentrated on exploring what can be done. The term VN doesn't hurt that. I'd like to try some of those to see if I warm to them, but that might be something I end up leaving to other people to enjoy

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Shdwrnr said:

Oh Gods, it's so true!

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
did you accidentally get Emi first because you thought that you'd quite like to NOT die?
Nope, I just got her by pretty much role-playing and asking myself what I would do in each situation. Its how I play any game that involves having to make choices, but I only do it the first time around as a "blind playthrough" type thing to get the best experience possible. I just so happened to end up with Emi by doing what naturally came.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
uchytjes said:
Nope, I just got her by pretty much role-playing and asking myself what I would do in each situation. Its how I play any game that involves having to make choices, but I only do it the first time around as a "blind playthrough" type thing to get the best experience possible. I just so happened to end up with Emi by doing what naturally came.
Yes, as in "If I were Hisao, I'd like to not die. Better exercise".

Damn Emi, that racetrack is a better trap than a giant lemon-scented spiderweb.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
uchytjes said:
Loop Stricken said:
did you accidentally get Emi first because you thought that you'd quite like to NOT die?
This caused me problems. Its why I don't think the choice mechanic is particularly well implemented (although at the same time accidentally transcends to near genius). Because my first thought when I saw Hanako was 'Hey I like that person, I want to help get them out of their shell and grow their confidence (can you see why this game had such a big impact on me? =D (this is where the choice aspect becomes genius)) but then at the same time giving up wasn't what I'd think of my character. So I tried roleplaying and I ended up with this huge disconnect as the protagonist went further and further away from what I had in my head. It was confusing, I didn't know why he kept saying all this positive stuff about Emi and eventually the roleplaying attempt was so destroyed I gave up half way, looked up a walkthrough and did it the way I'd intended.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
BrotherRool said:
well I guess that is the inherent problem/positive with having a choice system. Also, I had planned from the beginning of the game to go for Shizune, but that didn't work out (I failed at Risk) and I ended up with Emi and wound up liking her the best.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
uchytjes said:
BrotherRool said:
well I guess that is the inherent problem/positive with having a choice system. Also, I had planned from the beginning of the game to go for Shizune, but that didn't work out (I failed at Risk) and I ended up with Emi and wound up liking her the best.
It's not really inherent it would have been fairly easy to fix. They just needed to make the choices more blatant. A couple of the choices worked but all the ones along the lines of 'I want to go to the library/run/go to town' that decided relationships were defeating the point of having choices in the first place. Something as obvious as 'I want to spend some time with Hanako/Lilly' would have served the purpose

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
So....how would you feel to know that there's going to a fan dub of this game in the near future?