So, I just played Morrowind after beating Oblivion; and...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Bobzer77 said:
Why do people always use the fact that oblivion looks better as an excuse to say it's better than morrowind?

It was made in 2002!

While I'm on the subject:
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5535
The graphics extender doesn't do much by itself, but it does open a new world of possibilities.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3248990

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:
Morrowind feels like a medival fantasy...on an alien planet. Thats one thing I loved! It was not goblins and ogres and rural england, it was swampy, and ashy and dark, with Nix Hounds, Koguti, Guar, and Ogrim!

And I should point out, playing Oblivion first spoils you. People who say the grahpics are bad annoy me the most. OLD GAMES LOOK OLD. They were cutting edge in their day before all grpahics were equally amazing but still people say this is better than that. I really hope they take all that was good in Morrowind and put it in TESV. I dont want to go through all this stuff again.
I actually like older graphics in some games compared to newer ones. Like, the graphics in Dawn of War (I don't know if you could consider it that old) look great. Half-Life's graphics? Good. But then, MW2's? Everything is too shiny, my god. Though, water effects look amazing thanks to current gen technology...
The realism of Morrowind's sky amazed me (two moons aside)

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:
Morrowind feels like a medival fantasy...on an alien planet. Thats one thing I loved! It was not goblins and ogres and rural england, it was swampy, and ashy and dark, with Nix Hounds, Koguti, Guar, and Ogrim!

And I should point out, playing Oblivion first spoils you. People who say the grahpics are bad annoy me the most. OLD GAMES LOOK OLD. They were cutting edge in their day before all grpahics were equally amazing but still people say this is better than that. I really hope they take all that was good in Morrowind and put it in TESV. I dont want to go through all this stuff again.
I actually like older graphics in some games compared to newer ones. Like, the graphics in Dawn of War (I don't know if you could consider it that old) look great. Half-Life's graphics? Good. But then, MW2's? Everything is too shiny, my god. Though, water effects look amazing thanks to current gen technology...
Now, I've never played Morrowind, but, if it's graphics are even half as beautiful as Oblivion's, then it'll look goregous. I hope it's not as bright as Oblivion, though.
They aren't. At least if you don't mod it with the link I posted. If you mod it, it can look about 3/4ths as good as Oblivion.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:

Now, I've never played Morrowind, but, if it's graphics are even half as beautiful as Oblivion's, then it'll look goregous. I hope it's not as bright as Oblivion, though.
Morrowind has a darker feel to it, which I love. But Morrowind is a darker place, both literally and figuratively, with ash storms and a legal assassin's guild.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Signa said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:

They aren't. At least if you don't mod it with the link I posted. If you mod it, it can look about 3/4ths as good as Oblivion.
I think Morrowind's graphics work well enough for the game though. Certainly Morrowind looks more unique.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
JimmyBassatti said:
Signa said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:

3/4ths, you say... Which to get, Morrowind, or APB? Argh, which to choose?
Miumaru said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:

Morrowind has a darker feel to it, which I love. But Morrowind is a darker place, both literally and figuratively, with ash storms and a legal assassin's guild.
Do you get to see said ash storms?
Get to? Trust me, you will see ash storms.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Signa said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Miumaru said:

Morrowind is ?5 on steam right now = P

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I couldn't stand Oblivion. Whereas Morrowind was immersive and interesting, Oblivion felt hackneyed and stale. It was pretty, but not as pretty as other games. And I'm actually old enough to remember when Morrowind came out and looked like the bee's knees. Actually, I'm old enough to remember when Baldur's Gate came out and looked spectacular.

We make a big deal about graphics now, but as others have pointed out, killer graphics can actually make things less scary. You can see enemies coming much clearer, and humans are more likely to fall into the uncanny valley than ever before.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
JimmyBassatti said:
Morrowind for sure. It's $5 on Steam right now.
JimmyBassatti said:
But APB looks like it'd last me longer...
If you end up liking Morrowind half as much as I do, I doubt it. The game never leaves my list of actively playing games. Even if there is about a year between plays, it's still something I'm always willing to go back and play.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
Yeah, the mudcrabs in Morrowind are much larger than in Oblivion.

In Oblivion, they kind of look like they would be a nice pet. (that you would keep in a cage.)

In Morrowind, mudcrabs are huge! They come up to your waist! (atleast I think they do. May depend what race you are)

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
The only monster that ever scared me in Oblivion was the Underfryckte Matron (ya know, the invisible über-Troll?). The reason it scared me was the classical reason. I were getting tenser as it took longer to find it. When it swiped at me, cue jolt and panicking trying to kill it.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
TheSeventhLoneWolf said:
Well, is it just me or are the low level monsters from morrowind a heck-load scarier than the ones from oblivion?
It's not just you. They are. The whole damn game is a thousand times more immersive and atmospheric.

Morrowind > Oblivion in every single way except graphics.