So I Just Saved A Life. Have You?

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
I was there for a suicidal person during their darkest hours and they're doing a lot better now.
The threat was very real but we can't say for 100% sure whether they'd have killed themselves without me (they say they would have, for what it's worth). Does that count?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Saved one of my best friends from chocking with the heimlich maneuver once. Felt pretty awesome, still do when I think about it. Few feelings that are better than to know you have really had a big positive impact on someones life.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Lonely Packager said:
I didn't step on an ant once.
That's because you wanted more, squishing them would not have been enough. You would shout "I am a vengeful god" as you sear their carapace and turn their blood to boil under the concentrated rays of the sun with your optical device powers. You probably got a kick out of it.

I haven't saved any lives since it wasn't certain they would have died.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
When I was little, the bus would drop us off on the side of the road and we would have to cross the road before the bus left to get to our house. Because of the size of the bus we couldn't see oncoming traffic so we usually listen for engines, and then stuck our heads out to make sure it was safe. Once my brother was preoccupied with something, probably talking about something and stepped out onto the road without checking. I could hear a car coming so I grabbed his bag and pulled him back behind the bus.

I'm not sure if he would have died, there might have been time for the car to stop if they noticed him, or he might have just been seriously injured. But that doesn't stop me from saying "Well I did save your life" when I want something from him.

Mr Goostoff

Aug 14, 2008
When I was really young, I saved my brother from drowning twice, possibly three times (I can't remember if the second scenario occurred twice, or if I'm just remembering the same event twice)
Anyways, the first time, we were in a friend's pool, and we were all playing in the shallow end. He was about 4 or 5, and I was 7 or 8, and he went too near the deep end, and slipped down (the pool had a slope from the shallow to the deep). He couldn't swim very well, and sunk like a rock, but I caught him before he got too far.
The other time, well, let's just say that there was human intervention in his near-drowning. We were only a few years older than the previous time. We were at our grandparents' house, and my two brothers and I were in the lake with a couple of our cousins, who were around the same age as us. As we were playing, the oldest of the cousins - for whatever reason - started to hold that same brother under water. I don't know how long he had been doing it before I noticed, but when I did, I pushed him off and helped my brother up.
So, yeah. Whenever he and I fight, I bring up that I saved his ass twice, and that he owes me :p

Esotera

May 5, 2011
My ex did once, it was her first day as a swimming instructor. I texted her saying there was no way she could screw it up unless she nearly lets one of the kids drown...so that's what she did until she realised he was in difficulty.

I haven't been in a situation where anyone needs saving though, I don't think most people have.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
somonels said:
Lonely Packager said:
I didn't step on an ant once.
That's because you wanted more, squishing them would not have been enough. You would shout "I am a vengeful god" as you sear their carapace and turn their blood to boil under the concentrated rays of the sun with your optical device powers. You probably got a kick out of it.
I feel like a mass murderer now, thanks a lot.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
overpuce said:
Every good story should start with words.
01001111 01101000 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01101100 01101100 01111001 00101100 00100000 01001101 01110010 00100000 01010000 01110101 01100011 01100101 00111111[footnote]Oh really, Mr Puce?[/footnote]

No, I haven't. But my friends did, a few years back. They saw someone's house had been broken into, then noticed the owner on the floor covered in blood, and called an ambulance which most likely saved his life.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I have never been placed in a situation where I have had to. I guess that makes you better than me. Which was the point of this thread, right?

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I give blood every now and then. Its the lazy way to be a hero, and I'm reasonably certain it'll have actually helped people because my blood type is in hight demand. Plus, I'm a registered organ donor, so I'm guaranteed to eventually save someone's life.

I've not actually done anything heroic personally though, but I prefer to look on it as a positive that I've never had to.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
I think everyone does their part in saving lives- by preventing people from suicide, killing themselves. Think about it, most people or a majority of people have it rough in life thus some have the worst of it which leaves them into depression or feeling really down. However, because a lot of people like being nice and giving support one way or another even if it's just socializing with that person.. we actually help them get through the day.

So thank you everyone for keeping each other in arm's reach to help and motivate our neighbors to live on. Sadly, we still have some suicides but if we keep doing our best to be civil and good towards others, it will really benefit humanity in the long run.
I was kind of on the fence as of to post in this thread or not, as it seemed that most of what needed to be said was being said. But i found this pretty neat. It's a good reminder that just taking the time to be kind and talking to people does actually help.It's a cliché but that doesn't stop it from being true.

Also, i guess i've kinda saved a life. But i don't really mention it. When i was off gallivanting in Japan we were about to cross a a street. But were brought to a halt by a red light. Now, in the middle of the street there was a kid that had just stopped (instinct and habit, i guess) in the middle of the street, while his mother had crossed to the other side, it was kinda weird. But everybody was just staring, and at a loss, as traffic was about to start up and the kid was staring at the cars completely terrified. Instinctually i screamed one of the few words i know in Japanese at the top of my lungs. Which is "migero!" ( which i believe translates as) "Run!". Sure as heck the kid broke out of whatever terror he was in and ran like hell to the other side. While everybody stared at me for yelling like a hollerin' fool. At the green "Go" me and my two friends just walked on. Nothing changed, nothing really different. And we rarely if even mention it.

Dunno' if it counts though. The kid would've probably scarpered even if i hadn't run.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Pulled a friend out of the way from a car that had lost grip and was heading up on the sidewalk.
Had completely forgotten about that.
Maybe I should demand royalties because of his continued survival.
And send cease and desist letters if he refuses.

Frungy

Feb 26, 2009
I'm a psychologist so saving lives is pretty much a regular thing. I've been a psychologist for just over ten years and to date I've saved a dozen suicidal patients (three of them minutes before attempting suicide, and one mid-suicide attempt). I also lost one about eight years ago and that still haunts me (I was driving and didn't return the call until I got to somewhere safe to pull over, a critical 10 minutes too late... and I only found out about it a day later when the cops turned up to question me about the call to my phone).

... and you know what, while it feels good every time I manage to save a life somehow 12 lives saved just doesn't seem to balance the scales on that one life lost.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
I gave blood which helped saved someone's life (as apparently I hve a rare blood type which I didn't realise).

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Frungy said:
I'm a psychologist so saving lives is pretty much a regular thing. I've been a psychologist for just over ten years and to date I've saved a dozen suicidal patients (three of them minutes before attempting suicide, and one mid-suicide attempt). I also lost one about eight years ago and that still haunts me (I was driving and didn't return the call until I got to somewhere safe to pull over, a critical 10 minutes too late... and I only found out about it a day later when the cops turned up to question me about the call to my phone).

... and you know what, while it feels good every time I manage to save a life somehow 12 lives saved just doesn't seem to balance the scales on that one life lost.
No it doesn't seem fair. It seems like kind of a raw deal. But you have helped Twelve people, and you still do (as far as i know) and you keep trying to help people to the best of your professional ability on a daily basis. I'm not going to say that i can imagine your feelings about this. But i imagine you're pretty good at keeping an emotional distance to this, and with that i hope that it helps you process it all.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I save lives on a constant basis, each moment I choose not to give someone a ride down to Hades on the Strangle Express, a one way ticket with stops at pain, despair, and vengeance. Not that you're allowed to get off at those stops. Or, you can, really quickly, if you need to grab something from one of those shops they have in train stations, but you have to be quick, and to be honest, the selection is awful. Also, you're only allowed to sit in the aisle, not by the window.

. . . sorry, what were we talking about?