So I just started going for morning runs.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Thread title says it all, I just started going for morning runs. Me and a gamerbro of mine decided its about time we got ourselves into something vaguely closer to in shape. In keeping up with classic nerd stereotypes, he suffers from Asthma and I have a long running heart condition (Tachycardia woo) so we are keeping it calm, for now, jogging for about 5-10 minutes every morning. Mainly because if we don't he starts to hyperventilate and my BPM goes past 200 like a fucking drag racer.

Today is day three of this new regimen and both of us feel fucking awesome. Bar the whole "Wanting to vomit after the run, having trouble breathing, dizziness" and all of that. It feels good to go for morning runs, it really does pump you up for the rest of the day. This was the article that got us moving (http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-stunning-revelations-idiot-has-about-running/) and it really feels like, if nothing else, I have turned over a new leaf. When I was still with my ex I always said I was gonna try and get into shape and become who I was many, many years ago and be a bit of an athlete. I never got round to it. Now that I am on new meds (Brain stuff) I just feel like I have the motivation to get out there and get shit done.

It might only be day three but we are both feeling the benefits. Once the nausea and stuff calms down anyway.

So, for discussion value, has anyone else randomly made the choice to try and move their fat gamer asses? Any tips for keeping it up, random motivational crap, insults, you know, stuff.

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
I decided to actually drink water lately. I used to always avoid that stuff and drink damn near 15,000 cans of Mt Dew or Dr Pepper. I'm moving away from that and drinking multiple bottles a day.

Hopefully this makes me at least a little healthy!

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Congratulations! I'm really proud of you and your friend for deciding to get out there and try to get yourselves in shape, regardless of the fact you both have conditions which can complicate things a little. There are people out there in perfect health who just can't be bothered to do anything, and they don't even have a legitimate excuse as to why they're not looking after themselves...

I have a fear of running myself (primarily because I don't like people watching me exercise if they're not working out themselves), so instead I tend to dance to try and get fit. It's still cardio, but I can do it in the comfort of my own room. It takes a bit more self-control than if I just dragged myself to the gym... but it's also cheaper, so.. haha.

Honestly, I think the first few weeks are always the hardest for me. That's when you really have to push yourself to get out there and run (or get yourself to dance, if you're me). After that, it becomes part of your daily/weekly routine, and it becomes easier to do because you see it as more of a habit than a chore.

I really hope you and your friend stick with the running. Think of how amazing you feel after you work out! It makes it all worthwhile. Yay, endorphins!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I am proud of you, soemthing i could not be arsed to get to do myself. then again i guess i already have morning runs, when i run for 5 minutes every morning to catch that bus im always late for.
and as "i stomp on kittens" said (really, that is your name?) wateris very good. i got no idea how can people go without drinking water.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I Stomp on Kittens said:
I decided to actually drink water lately. I used to always avoid that stuff and drink damn near 15,000 cans of Mt Dew or Dr Pepper. I'm moving away from that and drinking multiple bottles a day.

Hopefully this makes me at least a little healthy!
Same problem here.
I drink soda and sweet tea (with an occasional coffee) like a fiend and don't drink nearly as much water as I should.
My kidneys hate me.

More on topic, I have been playing Brain Age every morning before going to bed.
It's supposed to help with memory, recall abilities and what not, and my memory is the absolute worst there is. So I figure if any change occurs, I'll see it.

Every so great often I will grab my MP3 player and take a walk through town, buuuuut that's usually because I'm upset and need to think or cool down.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Ahri said:
Congratulations! I'm really proud of you and your friend for deciding to get out there and try to get yourselves in shape, regardless of the fact you both have conditions which can complicate things a little. There are people out there in perfect health who just can't be bothered to do anything, and they don't even have a legitimate excuse as to why they're not looking after themselves...

I have a fear of running myself (primarily because I don't like people watching me exercise if they're not working out themselves), so instead I tend to dance to try and get fit. It's still cardio, but I can do it in the comfort of my own room. It takes a bit more self-control than if I just dragged myself to the gym... but it's also cheaper, so.. haha.

Honestly, I think the first few weeks are always the hardest for me. That's when you really have to push yourself to get out there and run (or get yourself to dance, if you're me). After that, it becomes part of your daily/weekly routine, and it becomes easier to do because you see it as more of a habit than a chore.

I really hope you and your friend stick with the running. Think of how amazing you feel after you work out! It makes it all worthwhile. Yay, endorphins!
Originally we were running late at night but that woke us up too much. Our plan is one you could go for: Early morning runs means normal people won't see you! I am plagued with colossal body issues from years of wildly fluctuating weight (Which is thought to be one of the causes of the heart condition) and I struggle to wear t-shirts cause of years of self harm (Although I got over that hurdle last night, which feels awesome) so yeah, super early morning runs for us. Starting at 7am. That way the only people who will see you are other runners/joggers, which are few and far between.

I used to be in shape. Way back when (Talking 7 years ago. When I was 14 xD) so I know all about the runners high and how amazing you end up feeling. Its already hitting us. Cheers for the motivational though, us trying is making me hate other people just a little bit. You meet some guys who just naturally look in shape despite doing fuck all to try! Although I did notice that one of my friends who I thought fell into that category is actually a streak of piss (To use an English phrase).

Running is painful. Its hard. Right now (after going for an extra run down to the docs to get my prescription refilled) I feel like my legs have grown new muscles that now ache. But I feel wonderful. I might even quit smoking.

Heh, my mate and I are a pair, we really are. Him with asthma, me with tachycardia, both of us going for morning runs and both of us smokers xD I swear, the only reason I am not obese right now is cause I have to walk up and down 4 flights of stairs to smoke and I am on 12 - 20 a day xD

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Very nice going!

I will want to give you some advice though, just so you are in the know, anything above 5 km (give or take) will damage your joints to some extent (depending on how much you go over).
So it's best to get the most out of those 5 km, so your goal is to be huffing and puffing at the end of your run, which you apparently are living up to, so that's good.
One of the better ways, when you get there, is running 20 seconds and then sprinting 10 seconds etc.

Remember to stretch out before and after.

I too enjoy running in the morning around 7 AM or earlier, however due to my Krav Maga training I run (3 km) just before warmup.
I swim in the morning instead, between 20 and 60 min, no I have no idea how long it is though, safe to say I won't be winning any competitions as more than just a handful zoom by me constantly, granted there are a fair few atheletes between them.
It's one of the few sports where you can actually feel a difference between each time you do it and it's very gentle to your joints. So if you have a pool near by I would hightly recommend that.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Boris Goodenough said:
Very nice going!

I will want to give you some advice though, just so you are in the know, anything above 5 km (give or take) will damage your joints to some extent (depending on how much you go over).
So it's best to get the most out of those 5 km, so your goal is to be huffing and puffing at the end of your run, which you apparently are living up to, so that's good.
One of the better ways, when you get there, is running 20 seconds and then sprinting 10 seconds etc.

Remember to stretch out before and after.

I too enjoy running in the morning around 7 AM or earlier, however due to my Krav Maga training I run (3 km) just before warmup.
I swim in the morning instead, between 20 and 60 min, no I have no idea how long it is though, safe to say I won't be winning any competitions as more than just a handful zoom by me constantly, granted there are a fair few atheletes between them.
It's one of the few sports where you can actually feel a difference between each time you do it and it's very gentle to your joints. So if you have a pool near by I would hightly recommend that.
I touched on it in an earlier post but I have hella body issues, which is why I go running. As for the high-impact nature of running, I run on a woodland trail. Read: Dirt. My mum used to be a cross country running so I take her advice and I just wont, at all, run on roads or pavements because doing so is just asking to destroy your joints, end up with shin-splints and all the rest of it.

As for swimming? I have not gone into water in... 7 years. I used to be able to swim, properly fucking go at it. I once took part in a 2km swimming race, it was somewhat of a marathon for 14 year old me but I powered through without a break (It was in an Olympic sized pool). After about 7 years of a habit I am only just managed to break free from (Go go new happy meds!) I look like I have been assaulted with a selection of knives. Which I essentially have. The only people to see me topless are my various partners over the years, and its always taken me a long time to let them see topless me.

A wonderful combination of 7 years of SH + Hellish body issues means I cannot swim.

AS for a running sprinting combo? Right now we are finding it hard enough to just keep jogging! I have realised I am fitter than the bro I am getting fit with though, I keep at his pace despite knowing I could go for longer. Hence going for a second run after posting this thread, just cause, and I needed to hit up the Docs to refill my prescription anyway.

All of this has made me realise one thing. Whilst yeah, the meds have helped, I still think that before meds are prescribed for depression docs should demand patients get at LEAST 30 minutes of exercise a day or, failing that, go for an hours walk every day. It makes anyone feel better. I mean full on PRESCRIBE. With like, checks and whatnot. And a few more NHS dietitians.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Mr F. said:
As for swimming? I have not gone into water in... 7 years. I used to be able to swim, properly fucking go at it. I once took part in a 2km swimming race, it was somewhat of a marathon for 14 year old me but I powered through without a break (It was in an Olympic sized pool). After about 7 years of a habit I am only just managed to break free from (Go go new happy meds!) I look like I have been assaulted with a selection of knives. Which I essentially have. The only people to see me topless are my various partners over the years, and its always taken me a long time to let them see topless me.

A wonderful combination of 7 years of SH + Hellish body issues means I cannot swim.
I was thinking of something along this http://www.finisinc.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/h/thermaltrainingshirt-hero-hr.jpg just not in thermal version obviosuly. That should help a fair bit, no?
Mr F. said:
AS for a running sprinting combo? Right now we are finding it hard enough to just keep jogging! I have realised I am fitter than the bro I am getting fit with though, I keep at his pace despite knowing I could go for longer. Hence going for a second run after posting this thread, just cause, and I needed to hit up the Docs to refill my prescription anyway.

All of this has made me realise one thing. Whilst yeah, the meds have helped, I still think that before meds are prescribed for depression docs should demand patients get at LEAST 30 minutes of exercise a day or, failing that, go for an hours walk every day. It makes anyone feel better. I mean full on PRESCRIBE. With like, checks and whatnot. And a few more NHS dietitians.
I had eye migraines before I started getting back into shape it promptly stopped when I started running, so yeah I agree with you and that the doctor who saw me was specialized in both neurology and opthalmologist so I don't quite get it.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Definitely I decided I was tired of my asthma and wanted to get better at soccer so I started running. Before travel soccer started up I was running 5 miles every other day. After that asthma was a joke to me, and any attack was a minor annoyance at worst. Now Endurance wise I'm not in as good a shape but otherwise I'm in great shape hardly the skinny kid from high school.

I might end up doing a spartan elite race(obstacle course race) at the end of the summer, my only problem is not wanting to run fucking 8-9 miles. That is too far in my opinion.

Also tell your friend with asthma if he keeps it up he'll barely have any asthma problems even if he has severe asthma.

Apr 24, 2008
Nice work.

I do a lot of exercise but I would like to get into the habit of doing morning runs. I always feel focused and fresh after a workout, like I could be productive and get things done. My workouts tend to come in the evenings at the moment, because the weather is nasty and I don't wanna get up to run in the cold... It's still good, but it'd be good to have that focus during the day when I could actually be doing things.

Bring on the warmer weather and maybe I'll get to it.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Boris Goodenough said:
Mr F. said:

I was thinking of something along this http://www.finisinc.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/h/thermaltrainingshirt-hero-hr.jpg just not in thermal version obviosuly. That should help a fair bit, no?
Mr F. said:

I had eye migraines before I started getting back into shape it promptly stopped when I started running, so yeah I agree with you and that the doctor who saw me was specialized in both neurology and opthalmologist so I don't quite get it.
Well, that specialty makes a lot of sense, with regards to how much the brain can screw up eyesight and whatnot. As for the swimming, it would be strange to jump in a pool in a wet suit (And stupidly expensive) but its something I am actually considering. A full on wetsuit would be neccesary considering the whole arms and legs malarky, although I wore a t-shirt for the first time in years and nobody noticed (Or commented) on the state of my arms. I intend to become the athlete I feel is still inside me, going for daily runs and joining both a climbing society and a hiking society (Gotta love universities) its all down to money. Next purchase (If I get a gorram job) is gonna be some trackies and some decent trainers, running in walking boots is rather heavy and I only have walking trousers, not trackies. Thankfully they are really loose so it is not so bad, but still.

dmase said:
Definitely I decided I was tired of my asthma and wanted to get better at soccer so I started running. Before travel soccer started up I was running 5 miles every other day. After that asthma was a joke to me, and any attack was a minor annoyance at worst. Now Endurance wise I'm not in as good a shape but otherwise I'm in great shape hardly the skinny kid from high school.

I might end up doing a spartan elite race(obstacle course race) at the end of the summer, my only problem is not wanting to run fucking 8-9 miles. That is too far in my opinion.

Also tell your friend with asthma if he keeps it up he'll barely have any asthma problems even if he has severe asthma.
With regards to Charles, its the cold weather that is killing him. It was not an attack, it just exacerbated it and he was in full on agony for about 2 hours after the run, felt like he was burning inside. But I am making him keep up the running, much like he is making me keep up the running. As far as I am concerned, I am 21 (he is 19) and its about time we got over our flabby stages. My weight is within healthy bounds (Unlike his) but I want to go from "Not fat" to "In shape".

For him its a health thing, for me its more trying to get over years and years of a buggered body image. I have lofty aims, I want to be in shape to do the London Marathon in 2 years time. Might be out of reach, but still, aim for the stars and you might say hello to the moon on your way past. Its how I function.

Honestly though, for me, this is partially because I like spiting people. My ex left me. I want to get into shape partly just to go "Ha, *****, I am healthy. I am toned. I am the activist I wanted to be and now I can actually run away when need be! Miss this, cause you aint getting a piece."

Childish? Perhaps.

But I got into one of the top 10 Unis in the country through being childish. One of my exes said I would never get into Cambridge. She was right, for the wrong reason (A tutor lost my application form and thus I missed the application deadline) but I got into this place instead, not such a bad second option.

What is it my mum used to say? "Success is the best form of revenge."

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
I started a fitness regime myself not long ago... and just to press the matters of stretching further. I can't run anymore, the muscles around my legs tensed up and stopped supporting my knee caps which are now grinding against the bones it rests on. I'm going through physiotherapy now to prevent having to get knee replacements by the time I'm 50 years old.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I started running frequently 7 years back and I haven't managed to keep that up as well as I should, but I am better at long distances now than then, but a little slower on the 1.6 km run I used to do (that's one mile for those of you using the inferior system (no that was not a typo)). However I am still getting my exercise. I head to the gym 2-3 times a week andI try to run every Sunday morning and after finishing at the gym. My only tip for keeping it up would be to keep exercising together, that's great motivation. I also recommend doing weights since that's very efficient and will be great for both looks and preparing you for old age. I started out as a skinny guy with no muscles and it's only taken me 2 years of a little dedication to get the kind of body that people compliment me for.

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013
I was doing morning walk/jog for a few kilometres a day about a year ago - about an hours worth, though the actual length always stayed the same. After a few weeks, I gave it up. The truth is a I don't actually care about my health - in fact, I hope my death comes sooner rather than later. Even more incredibly; I don't actually want to get skinny - I like being bigger than everyone else. It's been a part of my identity in a positive manner for so long I can't imagine anything other than being fat bastard.

Maybe I'm just odd.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
I run frequently, the problem that I have is that after about 15 minutes I get in the zone, I have a lot of time to talk to my self.

With all that adrenaline and testosterone in my system I start thinking I can take on the world.

Like seriously, as I run I come up with media campaigns, consider cold war era propaganda campaigns and how I can undo 60 years of anti communist sentiment and fight a battle of popular opinion. Last night I started dealing with the end game issues of resource allocation and corruption regulation; With a decentralised government it's quite easy for individuals to become powerful and exploit individual sectors.

So, on the one hand I feel baller, on the other hand I have to deal with the egomaniacal voices until the hormones leave my body.

My advice is get some good music that operates around 60bpm.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I do push ups every day =S Started out with 10 a day, then stepped it up to 20 - now it's 40. It's not much but it's something. I'm hoping it'll make getting into something else more demanding a little easier. I'm not sure what that something else IS yet but I think this is alright for now.

I don't know how to work running in the morning. I'd rather eat before it and shower after, but if I did eat first then I'd have to sit about and wait for it to settle. If I ate then ran immediately I'd just end up throwing up. On the other hand, if I ate after then I would be running on empty which I don't think is a great idea either. How do people actually do it?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Like some gamers I'm a fairly large gentleman. But for the last year or so I've been riding 5 miles on a bicycle 4 or 5 times a week. And about every 2 weeks I kayak with some friends. 30 minutes or so if on a lake. Or an hour or more if we go downriver through our city.

I'm not losing weight (well a little) but that wasn't the idea. I was sick of running the 50 yards from the front of my office location to the back of the building and being out of breath. I just wanted to be in a little better shape. And I work 3rd shift. My trouble sleeping during the day went away. It's helped in a number of ways.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Auron225 said:
I do push ups every day =S Started out with 10 a day, then stepped it up to 20 - now it's 40. It's not much but it's something. I'm hoping it'll make getting into something else more demanding a little easier. I'm not sure what that something else IS yet but I think this is alright for now.

I don't know how to work running in the morning. I'd rather eat before it and shower after, but if I did eat first then I'd have to sit about and wait for it to settle. If I ate then ran immediately I'd just end up throwing up. On the other hand, if I ate after then I would be running on empty which I don't think is a great idea either. How do people actually do it?
You run on an empty stomach. You want to die, you want to vomit, you start shaking a little bit but you run. And you run.

And then when you get home, that toasted bacon sandwich is OMFGTASTY. Then you shower. If you are me, you jump in a Uni shower which cycles between OMFGWTFBBQ hot and OMJEEZUSITSARCTICA cold. You scream a little bit.

Then you feel awesome and punch god in the face.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Ahri said:

Indeed, I have no conditions to speak of, even dodging my dad's asthma bullet. I have, however, been a lazy shit for the entirety of my teenage existence. However, I've taken it into my head to join the Royal Marine Commandos after university. The only thing that could conceivably change my mind on that is being in a loving relationship with a fine woman who doesn't want me doing that. So, I guess we'll see.

In any case, I too didn't enjoy the running part of my workout, because of the hellish pain, and obviously, random passersby; and doing upper body exercise at home, I still had my mind wandering.

I'm at the gym now, and the treadmills mean I can beat my times and such. And everyone else is exercising, so no need to be self conscious. Being in the gym also improves my concentration, too.