So I Kinda Want to Learn How to Draw...

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Sectan said:
Many thanks for the replies! Like you all said I spose I have to just start with something and go from there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the first few drawings I attempt will be an exercise in frustration and disappointment and it'll slowly get better with practice? Hopefully I can at least get some baby steps towards something resembling a picture in the future.
Eleuthera said:
What type of drawing do you think you want to do?
People mostly. Something along the line of comics I guess...Even something simple like some dude in armor. The usual stuff people want to draw. Granted I understand I wouldn't make an attempt until I had some form of practice with the basics under my belt.
They can be, but you have to accept that you aren't "bad" at it, but inexperienced.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned above, but I HIGHLY recommend you take some life/model drawing classes.(You know, the ones with the nudes). If you are going to draw people, no amount of 2 dimensional diagrams can properly inform you on how a body looks at certain angles. You could have an encyclopaedic knowledge of muscular anatomy, but without seeing it in the real, you won't truly know how to apply it to your drawings.

A class a week for 6 months to a year should give you a decent foundation. If you like it then keep going, as its good practice.

Just one more point. I've heard many people dismiss life drawing studies when doing comic books of their own with the argument that they are going to "stylise" their work so real world anatomy won't help.

Wrong. If you work off of your preconceptions of what a body looks like, and those concepts are wrong in any way, then your work will suffer for it. The more detailed your work the more detrimental the lack of knowledge will affect you. Learning some fundamentals never hurts and can only improve your drawing quality (line strength, toning, etc.) and can even broaden your stylistic vision.

If its a good life drawing course you will learn A LOT, not just how to draw what's right in front of you. In my experience I learned an immense amount about composition and silhouette, 2 things that have helped improve my own drawings and designs immeasurably.

Beyond that, I'll show one of the first references I used (not the only one) when I was younger and only starting out (before life drawing).

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/

This is really basic stuff and very dated, especially when he starts talking about programs he has used, but a good starting point. His work is Anime inspired (not contemporary googly eyed anime mind you) so take that for what it is. I used some western comic book references as well, but for the life of me I can't remember any of them.

Regardless, once you get the basics down you can go whatever way you want with your style. With the fundamentals under your belt you'll find your ability to stylise quite malleable.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
Vault101 said:
[strike/]Naked women![/S] art models! how useful!
Drawing naked things is part of learning correct human anatomy. Art is awesome like that.
You can always uncheck the box.
and you dont even need to minimize when somone comes into your room

"whats that mum?....no just doing some drawing"

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Vault101 said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Sectan said:
You'll need lots of paper (so buy a cheap sketchbook) and of course a pencil.
Here are some good free tools for drawing from life.
http://artists.pixelovely.com/
http://lovecastle.org/draw/

The tool on pixelovely even has a class option.

Then draw!
As other have said, you won't like the first thing you draw, or the second, or the third, you'll get better with practice and the more practice you do, the faster you'll get better. Don't get discouraged, over time, you'll be able to see your own improvement.
[strike/]Naked women![/S] art models! how useful!
They do naked women!? We had a 60 year old man doing it for us. There was one pose that is now burned into my retinas. I can still see it... like a shrivelled up peach next to a sausage...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I don't think "how to draw" books are genuinely helpful. They kind of force you to dance to someone else's tune instead of creating your own. Plus, they drown you in technique which in my opinion is not the most important part of drawing.

Great art comes from inspiration, so try and expose yourself to what inspires you the most; Watching movies, listening to music, looking at other people's drawing, etc. And when you feel exhilarated enough by whatever you've been doing, go sit infront of a nice, pristine, blank piece of paper and just see what rolls out of your pen.

In the end you need to figure out yourself how you want to draw, by simply drawing.
I don't know about that. I've just started drawing and while I have inspiration a-plenty and all kinds of beautiful pictures I want to draw inside my head I simply lack the techniques to realize them. That's where those books come in handy, only to teach you certain techniques.

And that's where I am now. I'm sort of stuck technique-wise. I just can't get out of my hands what's in my head. Very frustrating.
Ragsnstitches said:
Just one more point. I've heard many people dismiss life drawing studies when doing comic books of their own with the argument that they are going to "stylise" their work so real world anatomy won't help.

Wrong. If you work off of your preconceptions of what a body looks like, and those concepts are wrong in any way, then your work will suffer for it. The more detailed your work the more detrimental the lack of knowledge will affect you. Learning some fundamentals never hurts and can only improve your drawing quality (line strength, toning, etc.) and can even broaden your stylistic vision.
Everyone, ye be warned for this man is right! If you refuse to listen you'll end up as Rob "Pouches" Lefield. [http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings]

Which...might mean hugely succesful and rich. But also a terrible artist.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Casual Shinji said:
I don't think "how to draw" books are genuinely helpful. They kind of force you to dance to someone else's tune instead of creating your own. Plus, they drown you in technique which in my opinion is not the most important part of drawing.

Great art comes from inspiration, so try and expose yourself to what inspires you the most; Watching movies, listening to music, looking at other people's drawing, etc. And when you feel exhilarated enough by whatever you've been doing, go sit infront of a nice, pristine, blank piece of paper and just see what rolls out of your pen.

In the end you need to figure out yourself how you want to draw, by simply drawing.
I don't know about that. I've just started drawing and while I have inspiration a-plenty and all kinds of beautiful pictures I want to draw inside my head I simply lack the techniques to realize them. That's where those books come in handy, only to teach you certain techniques.

And that's where I am now. I'm sort of stuck technique-wise. I just can't get out of my hands what's in my head. Very frustrating.
I have the same problem. It's extremely rare that I'm able to tranfer exactly what's in my head onto paper. I think the secret is going with the flow of what's already on paper; Sometimes I'll start with an initial concept, but as I'm drawing it changes into something completely different. And some of my best drawings are those where I started doodling nothing in particular and it ended up becoming something spectacular.

It sounds really corny, but you just need to find your own voice in regards to drawing. I've wasted many years trying to draw a certain way because I thought it looked better, eventhough that style really didn't suit me at all. You need to draw in a way that comes natural to you, even if this doesn't precisely match what's in your head.

frpzxvaa

Mar 4, 2013
I used to draw and paint every day for hours, but I quit around 2004 because I became addicted to two things that I regret today since I essentially ruined my career when I was getting started.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Casual Shinji said:

Oh my God.

No.

Shinji, you're a cool guy, but no. Just... just no.

Yes, inspiration is good. Sure, inspiration is probably a factor that separates great art from regular art.

However, inspiration is completely and utterly worthless in the hands of someone who doesn't know technique. Someone who can't draw a human face. Someone who doesn't know how perspective works. Someone who doesn't know how to create form with light and shadow. Someone who doesn't know the proportions of the body.

Someone can sit around being inspired all day long, but if they ever want to make something out of it then they need to know technique. Otherwise they're going to sit in front a nice pristine, blank piece of paper and have a whole lot of crap roll out of their pen... because they don't know what they're doing.

Or to put it another way, how many great artists can you think of who didn't have their technique down?

I also must disagree, albeit less vehemently, with what you said about "dancing to someone else's tune instead of creating your own." A lot of artist types have a bit of an obsession with establishing their own unique style. Thing is, to a neophyte that's more or less irrelevant. Learning the fundamentals is a lot more important than creating a style of your very own. It's like the inspiration thing in that a unique personal style isn't worth much to someone who can't correctly align the features on a human face. It's like trying to get a novice piano player to compose songs before they've learnt to play their scales

PS. I actually feel a bit silly ranting at you like this. Judging from the few drawings you've posted over the years, you're way better at drawing that I am.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sectan said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the first few drawings I attempt will be an exercise in frustration and disappointment and it'll slowly get better with practice?
Yup, pretty much.

You'll probably spend quite a bit of time staring at your work thinking, "Oh this is stupid, I can't even draw a damned nose!" or something similar.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
Casual Shinji said:

Oh my God.

No.

Shinji, you're a cool guy, but no. Just... just no.

Yes, inspiration is good. Sure, inspiration is probably a factor that separates great art from regular art.

However, inspiration is completely and utterly worthless in the hands of someone who doesn't know technique. Someone who can't draw a human face. Someone who doesn't know how perspective works. Someone who doesn't know how to create form with light and shadow. Someone who doesn't know the proportions of the body.

Someone can sit around being inspired all day long, but if they ever want to make something out of it then they need to know technique. Otherwise they're going to sit in front a nice pristine, blank piece of paper and have a whole lot of crap roll out of their pen... because they don't know what they're doing.

Or to put it another way, how many great artists can you think of who didn't have their technique down?

I also must disagree, albeit less vehemently, with what you said about "dancing to someone else's tune instead of creating your own." A lot of artist types have a bit of an obsession with establishing their own unique style. Thing is, to a neophyte that's more or less irrelevant. Learning the fundamentals is a lot more important than creating a style of your very own. It's like the inspiration thing in that a unique personal style isn't worth much to someone who can't correctly align the features on a human face. It's like trying to get a novice piano player to compose songs before they've learnt to play their scales

PS. I actually feel a bit silly ranting at you like this. Judging from the few drawings you've posted over the years, you're way better at drawing that I am.
The thing is, I can only speak for myself in regards to drawing. I know there are many different ways to put something on paper, and I fully admit I wouldn't be able to teach an art class or something. I mean I had art class in high school and I hated it, eventhough I loved to draw.

The problem I have with basic drawing techniques is probably a fault that lies with me. When I use something like guide lines to draw a face or something, I get the impression the whole thing is looking flat, like it's a blue print or an architechtual sketch. When I draw I tend to just fly by the seat of my pants, it's when I get the best results. Though it also severly limits the scope of what I can draw, since winging it can only take you so far. This is also the reason why it's hard for me to stay on-key with drawing a character multiple times.

The most important thing for me when I'm drawing something is that it feels "alive". That it's a living breathing presence, occupying space. When I use drawing techniques, it always comes out looking... stiff and wooden.

I'm really not trying to come across as some floaty "Dead Poet Society" hippy.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Whoa this kind of bloomed into something bigger than I expected. Next time I head into town I'll be picking up pencils and paper. I'll for sure have this page bookmarked and I'll be reading through the comments as I go along! The Escapist is awesome sometimes. Hopefully I'll have something to show for it.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
What majorly helped me was taking lessons from an amusing book called "Mark Kistler's Draw Squad"
http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Kistlers-Draw-Squad-Kistler/dp/0671656945

Then there's always those "Complete idiots" and "for dummies" books out there. I've got The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing Manga and Drawing for Dummies.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am in a similar boat to you, except I am drawing digitally. My current problem right now is getting the hang of drawing with a tablet. It's tricky, but I prefer the look of digitally drawn pictures over hand drawn ones. Unfortunately motivation is not always easy for me, I struggle to do things when I am bad at them unless there is a practical need to do it (which is why I can drive a car).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I have the same problem. It's extremely rare that I'm able to tranfer exactly what's in my head onto paper. I think the secret is going with the flow of what's already on paper; Sometimes I'll start with an initial concept, but as I'm drawing it changes into something completely different. And some of my best drawings are those where I started doodling nothing in particular and it ended up becoming something spectacular.

It sounds really corny, but you just need to find your own voice in regards to drawing. I've wasted many years trying to draw a certain way because I thought it looked better, eventhough that style really didn't suit me at all. You need to draw in a way that comes natural to you, even if this doesn't precisely match what's in your head.
Yeeeaaaah what comes natural to me is bloated stickfigures, as of yet. When drawing from my mind that is. I can copy a photo with enough patience, though just the lines as I can't even properly shade yet, and that's about it. That's the level I'm still at. Hence I think I can use a good book to help me get the basics down. I frankly don't even know where to begin. Drawing is so immense, so vast.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I've been learning to draw recently. I've been focusing almost entirely on drawing human faces and bodies. There's tons of info online about the different proportions involved, how to differentiate between male and female features, etc. The way I see it, no matter what you're drawing you're gonna have to know how to draw people. And people are so complicated that you're going to learn all sorts of general drawing techniques as you go.

By the way, isn't it just totally weird how eyes are actually in the middle of the head and not higher up? It's something you never notice in real life until you actually try to draw a realistic face.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Well that sorta depends on what you want to get into, firstly play around with some paper and a pencil.

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/
This site ^ has apparently helped many people get started and learn some tricks with human stuff, and there's lots of tutorials on sites like Deviantart.com.
Just gotta look.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
Well, if any of my terrible art is any indication, ignoring basics and just doing whatever is super fun until you realize that you've learned enough bad techniques that you're probably never going to be able to draw properly ever. So, my advice is to look at some of the resources people have listed here and do them first. Practice is great, but I can tell you from years of practicing crap that actually knowing crap is useless.

I also like https://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL for some more general ideas sometimes, but he can get into details of the industry that aren't really useful if you're just doing things for fun.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I-, oh fuck it. I can't really think today, so I'll just fish out a previous post. I cannot think. If anyone wants to offer criticism, it still applies here.

thesilentman said:
For drawing, I'd say have a goal. Start out wanting to draw one thing (for this instance, humans) and work towards it, but don't force yourself. To get started on that goal, draw as much as possible. It can be anything, landscapes, humans, abstract objects, whatever you want; just draw and let yourself go. After you finish that sketch, look at what you could improve and decide to work on it.

But do not assume that forcing yourself to draw anatomy day after day will help you. In fact, it might have the opposite effect and might discourage you after you get to a stage where you can see the problems like night and day. In that case, take a break from what you're normally drawing, but still be involved with art, look into drawing other things or playing with other forms of art.

And don't be afraid to put a little bit of yourself in your drawings. It may be a little tic, or a completely different style, an example of which might be a little change in the way you do your eyes.

Another thing to note is that it will take time to improve. A lot of time. I'll just let my art do some talking.

If anyone else wants to comment on them and give constructive criticism, you are more than welcome to. I'm just someone interested in drawing, so my skills are nowhere near the best.

OP, as you can see, I haven't improved that much even in the slightest. Now, this can be attributed to my laziness, but the fact still stands. It will take time to improve art skills. Even though this may seem daunting to you, do not give up.

Hope you go on to pursue this as a hobby, as this is one of the most rewarding things that you can learn, provided you have patience and an open mind.

Hope I helped, and don't get discouraged. :)

Criticism still accepted.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
It IS possible to learn how to draw! :D

All you really need is a sketch book and a pencil. Just doodle whatever you want into the sketch book until you're satisfied with the product, then flip the page and do something else. Follow these steps over and over again until your sketchbook is full. Once it's full, go out and get another one and keep drawing. Repetition is key in improving in art skill.

I've been attached to art since I was born. I was an avid artists up until Jr. High, and then I pretty much just stopped. When I reached High school, I had a little renascence with my current art class and am improving like crazy.

I've gotten better, but I'm not nearly as good as one of my friends. I also do some drawings on my tablet, but I'm not very good at using it. XD

I drew Grumpy Cat for my art class. I thought it turned out pretty well. I think I made this two weeks ago.

My tablet drawings are pretty unimpressive. I haven't really done any drawings since I got it. (Which was last summer)

Here's a rough tablet sketch of a Brotherhood of Steel helmet. I can't remember when I made it.

And a silly drawing I made for Gravity Rush after immensely enjoying the game.

There's still a lot I need to learn, but I'm pretty satisfied with where I am right now.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Speaking as someone who draws like it's a disease, do it constantly and constantly think of things you are not good at drawing, then draw them until you are. Also, look to media you like the style of and see how they do it. My only advice is try to balance being realistic with keeping the overall concept coherent. It's easy to go into too much detail in a few areas and not end up with a nice-looking thing.