So i need a reason to buy a PS3 over a Blu ray.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
So my Blu ray player has gone to heaven and dont feel like watching movies on my desktop all the time. I recently took a glimpse at the gaming section at my local bestbuy and noticed the recent PS3 price drop.

a little about me and gaming: if its on PC i will buy it for PC. maybe im to much of an pc elitest jerk but thats what my years of of being a PC techie and a 3D animator have turned me into. Yet i still look on at the PS3 and see those console exclusives i've missed over the years:

Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 (cause im a FF masochist)
Uncharted 1/2/3

and well those are the only two series i can think of that is only on console. so how i look at it is that its 100$ for the blu ray/netflix portion of the machine, and gaming is the other 150$, Think its worth it? or am i missing some crucial function of the PS3 that justifies the other 150?

Thanks for the help!

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Resistence Series, Killzone Series. I herad good things about the Yakuza games I'm yet to play them

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Honestly, I'd go with a standalone Blu-Ray player.

I'm saying this as a PS3 owner: if you already have a capable PC, you won't be interested in the bulk of exclusives the PS3 has to offer. Or at least, not enough to justify the money you'd be paying for the console.

If you still decide to make the jump, I'd recommend Little Big Planet, the Uncharted Series, and Heavy Rain.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Honestly, if you either have a 360 or a gaming PC just get a blue ray player. The PS3 exclusives suck. I don't know of any other way to put it anymore. Even still, I have a 42" 1080P etc etc TV and I can't tell jack shit difference between a blue ray and a DVD. Revenge of the Sith looks just as good on DVD as Avatar looks on blue ray.

The exception to this is if all your friends have a PS3 and you want to play with them. In that case...hop on the boat I'm in. Unless of course you have already made up your mind and just made a thread to get people to justify your decision.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
For me it was worth $250 as a gaming device. If you have no interest in the games then I would say no, unless you have the extra cash to spend.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
mikey7339 said:
Honestly, if you either have a 360 or a gaming PC just get a blue ray player. The PS3 exclusives suck. I don't know of any other way to put it anymore. Even still, I have a 42" 1080P etc etc TV and I can't tell jack shit difference between a blue ray and a DVD. Revenge of the Sith looks just as good on DVD as Avatar looks on blue ray.

The exception to this is if all your friends have a PS3 and you want to play with them. In that case...hop on the boat I'm in. Unless of course you have already made up your mind and just made a thread to get people to justify your decision.
Still considering and weighing the options, all my friends have PS3's but when we game, we PC game. a few of the suggestions of games do sound interesting, but wasn't to big a fan of little big planet when i played it on my friends.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
So against threads like these. These are just an excuse to make you feel better about a choice you have already made. Made an investment in the past based on a total strangers advice that you are never going to meet. Meet you halfway, do whatever the little voice inside your head tells you to do. Do not make it my business to be a PS3 salesmen.
ouch, was just asking for help lol. :p

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Infamous 1 and 2
Uncharted Series
God of War Series
Resistence Series
Heavy Rain
Yakuza Series
Ratchet & Clank Series
Red Dead Redemption (Not a PS3 esclusive, but console only)
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
The Last Guardian (Should be released this year)
And since you like Final Fantasy, if you want other JRPGs: Eternal Sonata, Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland, NIER, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Valkyria Chronicles.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
psicat said:
Infamous 1 and 2
Uncharted Series
God of War Series
Resistence Series
Heavy Rain
Yakuza Series
Ratchet & Clank Series
And since you like Final Fantasy, if you want other JRPGs: Eternal Sonata, Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland, NIER, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Valkyria Chronicles.
And still motorstorm gets missed out, nobody ever gets that one!

On topic. other than exclusives there is no reason for you to get a PS3 over a blu ray player. Saying that I can't tell the difference between blu ray and dvd

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
inFAMOUS 1 and 2!

buy now!!!!!

Seriously the games are great, and if you play an online multiplayer (which you might if you pick up the Uncharted series) you don't get charged (damn you xbox live!)

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I don't see why you really want a blue ray player, I don't believe there is enough of a difference in quality to justify the huge price difference between DVDs and Blu-rays.

But A PS3 is worth it for other reasons.
Games like:
psicat said:
Infamous 1 and 2
Uncharted Series

God of War Series
Resistence Series
Heavy Rain
Yakuza Series
Ratchet & Clank Series

The bold ones are the ones I can vouch for personally, but some of the others you might like too.
Another great reason is the controls are much better for certain types of games as opposed to PC in my opinion. Some games just feel more natural than on PC. Also you'll never have to worry about it not meeting game requirements. Although if you're really used to PC then those too may not bother you so much.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
I'm a PC gamer who recently bought an X360 - I'm having distinct difficulty finding games that, well, I consider worth my time that aren't also on PC.

Save some money - go stand alone.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Go all out, man. Get a PS3. I don't have a PS3 but if I was in your position I'd go for it. There are a fair few killer apps and just plain console-exclusives and it's probably worth it just to say you can play them, even if you don't. ...so yeah. Go for it.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I must agree ... at 42" (my smaller tv) i can't tell much visual difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray. On the 60" however, THAT i can see a huge difference between. Even using the dvd upscaling, on a huge TV, the picture difference is amazing.

Sound on the other hand.. if you have a decent receiver/amplifier ... there is a world of difference... the quality on blu-ray compared to DVD is mindblowing (having owned certain movies/concerts on both formats... you can easily discern which is which)

That being said... i have a cheap br player on the small tv, and the ps3 on the big tv... and the only difference really is, one plays games and the other doesn't. So if you want to play any of the games that other people have listed above, then buy the ps3, otherwise go the cheaper option, or you can have my old ps3 that the network adapter died in...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'd say get a new Blu-Ray player, PC exclusives are often better than console exclusives.

However if you plenty of money, you can't go wrong getting the PS3