So I realized what was wrong with MW3's plot.

way2sl0w

Resident COD Fanboy
Jan 29, 2012
Stukov Wolfwood said:
wich makes it kind of weird as yathzee said it. "if the russians were so decided to negotiate peace, that the president was already on the plane, who the fuck gave the order to invade europe?"

they never stablish that makarov takes control of the russian goverment when he kidnaps the president, and i am sure the russians would prioritize a rescue operation of their leader than an unauthorized full scale war.

and what would they gained from invading europe? more land to the already large amount of land they can barely control? or it was it just a patetic excuse to raise the stakes, because just withing 2 or 3 missions they recover control of america?
Go back and play the beginning of the airplane mission where the Russian president explains to his daughter that people in his cabinet didn't want to make peace with the west. There's a scene where his advisor(minister of defense or something) yells at him for cowering to the west (right before Makarov's men burst in). That's the POINT of a coup - to replace the president with someone who will change policy.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Of course it's utterly ridiculous. If Russia was to ever invade Europe, take on the ALREADY significant armies that Eastern Europe already possesses, AS WELL as fight off the other allied powers like NATO that want to stop them. I doubt they'd even get past Ukraine...

Like... seriously. If Russia declares an intention to invade a former soviet territory, that's grounds for a lot of European countries to go to war with Russia on account of some treaty that I can't remember the name of. So that's all of Eastern Europe's forces V Russia already.

That's not including the military grindhouses like Finland that has a history of kicking Russia's ass, Germany one of the most advanced armies in the world, France one of the most underrated armies in the world with one of the highest military spending in the world, and the UK that has some of the most badass infantry, tanks and special ops in the world.

Sure Russia's army would blitz any of those armies if they where just one on one. But NO force on the Earth could ever successfully invade any significant mass of Europe without first nuking it, and then claiming the nuclear wasteland that left behind.

So yeah, even with just Eastern Europe against Russia, it's unlikely they would get past Ukraine, MAYBE they'd get into Poland, but that's where the rolling ball would stop. But by that point everyone else in Europe would have got involved. That would definitely put a stop to it. And if for some reason the pretty much invincible combined European military is trumped America will no doubt involved, that's yet more kicked ass on the Russian side. No doubt Canada and Australia will get involved too. Japan COULD get involved, but I think going to war violates their constitution. So basically, that's Russia against all the countries that can MORE than defend themselves. It's bloody impossible I say.

Also, not to mention the fact that Russia is no longer batshit crazy and wants to rule the world like in the cold war. They're cool guys now. Friends with Europe. And it doesn't look like that's about to change. :3

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
"...or how predictable it was (at least for me)..." I stopped taking you serious after that. What's wrong with the plot is that one man, who's only asset was a bunch of money, started a world war. What actually pissed me off about it is that every single level you play ends with you failing. That annoyed the shit out of me.

TephlonPrice

Dec 24, 2011
Honestly, my problem with the plot is that WW3 doesn't really feel like WW3. You never get to see a perspective other than Frost's, 141's, & the one SAS operative. Kinda sad, because a game that advertised WW3 should've allowed to play as GIGN forces, GSG 9, Austrian commandos, or more SAS operations at the very least. At least we'd establish that the war is truly worldwide.

New York is fucked for two missions, then apparently Russia pulls out. Why no fighting in the Southern U.S., or anything in the West Coast for that matter, seeing how in MW2, they managed to practically assfuck their way into the East for a good bit? Because I'm thinking Russia, being able to strike at D.C, should've at least hit something interesting in combat.

If Makarov's goal is WW3 on the West, why doesn't he use backpack nuclear bombs or something instead of this long, drawn-out chem warfare fest that seems to end badly for Russian forces? Or what about Makarov's Inner Circle? Why aren't they developed a bit more? Or what Shepherd from MW2's Shadow Company? What's the deal with them in WW3?

Or what about the fact that the world never seems to be in any real danger, despite the fact Russia (along with Makarov's Inner Circle) manage to chemical bomb Europe & assist Russian forces during the invasion? Even COD4 had a sense of urgency around it in a way.

Then comes the ending, which is epic but kinda anti-climatic. Here's a guy, Makarov, who truly wants to bring WW3 to the West, but instead of taking over, say, a Soviet-era nuclear silo & attempting to use that with an ICBM, he apparently decides to hide in an expensive, famous hotel with a massive military contingent of his own peeps & decides to run away when confronted.

Honestly, I may have gotten off-track, but it seems like the writing should've been focused more.

N7 Ruiz

Nov 23, 2009
Well you could write off china's non involvment is because well China has never been one for interventionism or expansionism they may want to but the facts stand that China cant control its own people they arent worried about the US there worried about the daily 1,000 protesters / protests or so that go on in the country. India is like the US in a military Context i dont know how many days In game since the invasion but India at all times has the bulk of its Army looking at Pakistan second of all World wars are called World wars mostly because the West and the rest of the World views it as the "world"

Stukov Wolfwood

Feb 28, 2012
Robert Ewing said:
Of course it's utterly ridiculous. If Russia was to ever invade Europe, take on the ALREADY significant armies that Eastern Europe already possesses, AS WELL as fight off the other allied powers like NATO that want to stop them. I doubt they'd even get past Ukraine...

Like... seriously. If Russia declares an intention to invade a former soviet territory, that's grounds for a lot of European countries to go to war with Russia on account of some treaty that I can't remember the name of. So that's all of Eastern Europe's forces V Russia already.

That's not including the military grindhouses like Finland that has a history of kicking Russia's ass, Germany one of the most advanced armies in the world, France one of the most underrated armies in the world with one of the highest military spending in the world, and the UK that has some of the most badass infantry, tanks and special ops in the world.

Sure Russia's army would blitz any of those armies if they where just one on one. But NO force on the Earth could ever successfully invade any significant mass of Europe without first nuking it, and then claiming the nuclear wasteland that left behind.

So yeah, even with just Eastern Europe against Russia, it's unlikely they would get past Ukraine, MAYBE they'd get into Poland, but that's where the rolling ball would stop. But by that point everyone else in Europe would have got involved. That would definitely put a stop to it. And if for some reason the pretty much invincible combined European military is trumped America will no doubt involved, that's yet more kicked ass on the Russian side. No doubt Canada and Australia will get involved too. Japan COULD get involved, but I think going to war violates their constitution. So basically, that's Russia against all the countries that can MORE than defend themselves. It's bloody impossible I say.

Also, not to mention the fact that Russia is no longer batshit crazy and wants to rule the world like in the cold war. They're cool guys now. Friends with Europe. And it doesn't look like that's about to change. :3
and if one is a little into recent history of russia's militar forces, one would find out that currently they are to busy trying to avoid certain zones of the country to rebel and become independent countries since the fall of the soviet union. they have a lot of land indeed, but can barely control various parts of it.

and i have a hard time to believe that enough people of russia beyond some isolated cells would want to go back to the days of the soviet union. maybe throw down the current goverment but not going back to the soviet union.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
If a conflict of the scale of MW3 broke out, China and India would likely both stay out of it as much as possible. China especially doesn't like getting involved in things that don't directly concern them. So that part of the plot at least makes sense.

Now on the Russian front - it's ridiculous enough to think that Russia could get the military power to launch a full-scale invasion of the US like in MW2. But even if we let that slide, how is it that AFTER their invasion of the US has been thwarted they somehow have enough military capacity remaining to take on all of Europe at once? Sure, they started with a relatively cheap but effective series of chemical attacks but still - in the US they lost a large percentage of their air power in the EMP explosion, and a large percentage of their naval power in New York, and hundreds of thousands of soldiers between the two. What would they have left?

Stukov Wolfwood

Feb 28, 2012
XMark said:
Now on the Russian front - it's ridiculous enough to think that Russia could get the military power to launch a full-scale invasion of the US like in MW2. But even if we let that slide, how is it that AFTER their invasion of the US has been thwarted they somehow have enough military capacity remaining to take on all of Europe at once? Sure, they started with a relatively cheap but effective series of chemical attacks but still - in the US they lost a large percentage of their air power in the EMP explosion, and a large percentage of their naval power in New York, and hundreds of thousands of soldiers between the two. What would they have left?
like yathzee said, they play like fantasies of people that wish the cold war never end. that's why there is a lot of plot points that does not make any sense in the game. If the cold war had never ended or that they explain since cod4 that this was an alternate universe were the only realistic thing is the guns, it would made sense.

cod4 had it's feet on the ground, the main thread was a conflict in a non espedific midle east country, wich escaled in terrorism of a higher rank. (they kinda stop making sense when they got nuclear missils aimed to america, yet makarov could get them in mw3.)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
I'm more concerned with Frost's mysterious disappearance.
DLC man! He'll get his own mission.
Oh, wait. All we ever get are map packs. So...yeah, where did he go? I often wonder if he was supposed to be McCoy--the guy that gets killed in the opening of the level--but they had to change it. I'm sure he'll be back though, and it will explain in the next game where he went. They did it with Soap and Price anyway.
I know! He went to whatever location Rameriz, Dunn, and Folely went to!

Owen Robertson said:
Makarov's men (Russian Military men) send a pretty large force (300+ soldiers and air support) to attack Nicholai's safe house in India.
See, you touched on a deeper thing that bugs me about the entire war. Who exactly are we fighting? So...the bad Russians kidnap the President and wipe out his staff. And the Russian army just...keeps fighting? Or did they all suddenly bow to Makarov and continue the war? No way he has enough men to keep up that fight. I mean, are we supposed to believe that his mean are the ones that attacked Berlin and brought it to it's knees? Or did the Russian Army think it was a good idea to attack the very city where their President's daughter is being kept safe? And who's going to answer for the chemical attack? Sure it was Makarov's men, but the world is going to see it as Russia.
Yeah, that entire war is a bit of a mess if you look too closely at it.