So I recently found out that I won't be able to play Skyrim, after preordering it.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Fix the computer.

If it's totally beyond repair, buy a new barebones system, it wouldn't cost you much at all to build a computer that is capable of running Skyrim while leaving room for future upgrades if money is tight.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well if it's a PoS computer it probably wouldn't run Skyrim anyway (though the requirements aren't as bad as was expected), but since you ordered it it must be fairly new. I'd say find a friend who knows about computer repair, or post details in this thread (or send me a PM) and you should be able to narrow down the problem for free. The fix could cost between the tens to the hundreds of dollars depending on what's up, but you'll have your computer working again good as, possibly better than, new.

To answer your stated question it depends on what games you like. If you haven't played Knoghts of the Old Republic then that's a great RPG that should run fine. Same for KotOR II (though mods are recommended to fix bugs and issues since it was made by Obsidian). More up to date maybe Fallout 3 or New Vegas (though it depends on how good your laptop is).

As a wild card I'd say try Sword of the Stars. A 4X Space Strategy game. Many many hours of play, and you can pick it up for cheap. The sequel was released last week, but it's requirements are quite high, and it had some major bug issues the last I heard.

So my final suggestion is to look into getting your PC fixed. It's FAR easier than most people think, and only requires a screwdriver.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Yeay, I know that feeking, I can't play it till Chrimbus. Pretty much because my mom won't buy me anymore games. I fucking hate not being 17, I really do.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Well if it isn't worth saving your computer then I perhaps a new one (if you can afford it) or if you haven't tried the fallout series then maybe New Vegas.

On a side note I am sorry that this happened to you. You were my first friend on the escapist.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Unless your entire PC exploded just go and buy a new part. If there was smoke and things it was probs just the power supply, I have done that before, rest of my PC was fine.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Well, for about $300-$500 and an OS reinstall you can easily get a system capable of running Skyrim, if you buy the parts and install them yourself. Its not too hard to do, and I'm sure plenty of people here (Myself included) would be willing to walk you through the process.

Other than that, sell it on Ebay and buy something else with the money. If you can't run Skyrim I'm not sure what you should get, but hey, you'll find something.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
standokan said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
standokan said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
What is wrong with your computer exactly? It is unlikely the entire thing crapped out. If only one piece died on you, just replacing it might not cost you that much at all. What exactly were the issues? Is this a laptop or a desktop?
Desktop, I've asked my brother again and apperently it's the video card that died. In all likelyness the cause of the breakdown was a spilled glass some time ago. But I don't know if it's worth replacing the thing because I don't know in what kind of state the rest of the PC is.
SirDeadly said:
Just putting this out there... Try to fix your computer?
Well, I don't know if it's worth repairing, maybe it's better to just gather some money the next couple of months and look for a new one because the pc has always been unreliable.
Vrach said:
massive snip
About the preordering, I've been texting my friend but he keeps telling that it's not gonna happen since I already paid but I'll ask him for the site and see for myself.
About GTA V, my brother meant "does it come out on this Playstation (3) or on the next Playstation".
And apparently it's the graphics card that broke down a week after a glass of cola was knocked over but again I don't know if the computer is worth saving.
Just the graphics card?
http://bit.ly/uxjDlS - Good graphics card under £50

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
@Above: Yeah! Minecraft is 'released' on the 11th as well! Wait a week for a custom map with ender dragons and you'll be set! Hell someone could whip up an Oblivion portal that leads to The End.

Assuming you have a console, maybe dig through your games to see if you can trade some in for Skyrim? I just traded in Super Smash Brothers Brawl and New Super Mario Bros for Arkhamn City a few weeks ago, maybe see if a local store has a similar system.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Antitonic said:
Do you have any consoles? If so, you could always swap versions. My suggestion: Replace Skyrim with Skyrim.
but if he replaced Skyrim with Skyrim and then changed it back to Skyrim then it would be

SKYCEPTION

BRRRAAAAAAA [trying to imitate sound]

change to console or Play Minesweeper love that game

Rikkano

May 29, 2011
standokan said:
I've been waiting for this game for a long time and now I can't play it. Because my pc is toast, I still have my laptop but my laptop is barely fit for Oblivion, let alone Skyrim. The moment Ifound out it felt like a part of me died. And the worst thing is that I have preordered it so not only can I not play it I also have to hold the game in my hands knowing that I can't open it if I still want to sell it for a reasonable price. I need something to replace it ASAP, I currently feel like I've been diagnosed with something horrible and I need something to banish that.So in conclusion, anyone got something to replace Skyrim, some good mods for Oblivion (I have only played vanilla) or maybe some older games.

For those who didn't read the whole thing: What should I replace Skyrim with or what would you replace Skyrim with?
http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html Enjoy!

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
Am I the only one here who feels this thread has been made purely for more Skyrim chatter/pointlessness? No offence standokan, just find it odd that your PC craps out, and you're worried because you ordered Skyrim -through a friend- on a website, whom is now telling you its impossible to get a refund?

Anywho get Fallout3 and mod it.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
standokan said:
About the preordering, I've been texting my friend but he keeps telling that it's not gonna happen since I already paid but I'll ask him for the site and see for myself.
About GTA V, my brother meant "does it come out on this Playstation (3) or on the next Playstation".
And apparently it's the graphics card that broke down a week after a glass of cola was knocked over but again I don't know if the computer is worth saving.
About the preordering - I call "bullshit" on this my friend. No site I've ever used has charged me before the goods ship. Your friend just sounds like a lazy fuck to be honest. You may have already handed him the cold hard readies, but I guarantee you that his card has not been charged yet.

About GTA V - yes, it will be released on PS3.

And you can pick up a new video card for peanuts these days. If that's all it is, then the PC is far from being "toast" beyond repair.

standokan

May 28, 2009
CLEVERSLEAZOID said:
Am I the only one here who feels this thread has been made purely for more Skyrim chatter/pointlessness? No offence standokan, just find it odd that your PC craps out, and you're worried because you ordered Skyrim -through a friend- on a website, whom is now telling you its impossible to get a refund?

Anywho get Fallout3 and mod it.
Well I made this thread because I needed a Skyrim replacment but it didn't turn out like I thought it would.

standokan

May 28, 2009
srm79 said:
standokan said:
About the preordering - I call "bullshit" on this my friend. No site I've ever used has charged me before the goods ship. Your friend just sounds like a lazy fuck to be honest. You may have already handed him the cold hard readies, but I guarantee you that his card has not been charged yet.

About GTA V - yes, it will be released on PS3.

And you can pick up a new video card for peanuts these days. If that's all it is, then the PC is far from being "toast" beyond repair.
My shitty friend came through, the game is cancelled which makes me both happy and sad.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
standokan said:
Richardplex said:
standokan said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Just the graphics card?
http://bit.ly/uxjDlS - Good graphics card under £50
Hmm, I'm interested, at what setting would I be able to play Skyrim? And how trustworthy is the card?
Recommended settings the card can handle, so it would depend on the rest of your PC's settings.
As for trustworthy, well, I have it, but I can't play skyrim, or new PC game at the moment, so I don't know. I'm fairly sure it's a motherboard issue though, not the graphics card, /find out tomorrow when I qq at some people.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I Can haz ur copy? :D

Or you could just try and get Arkham city, and if that doesnt work, you could give me that instead! :D