So, I started a Let's Play...

Verdilian

Jan 8, 2011
Dr_Horrible said:
Verdilian said:
A new starting LPer 'eh?

I'll be sure to watch your videos soon. Especially your Fallout 3 one. I never played the Fallout series games, so it'll be a nice learning experience for me.
Thanks, and the games are definitely worth a buy :)

I would try lp'ing the original 2 fallouts, but I'm terrible at them. I may consider doing a New vegas playthrough as well though.
Your welcome! And yeah, even if they are unforgiving at times, I believe they are awesome in their own ways.

By the way, what other LPs do you think or plan on doing in the future? I can give you some suggestions if you wish.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Verdilian said:
Dr_Horrible said:
Verdilian said:
A new starting LPer 'eh?

I'll be sure to watch your videos soon. Especially your Fallout 3 one. I never played the Fallout series games, so it'll be a nice learning experience for me.
Thanks, and the games are definitely worth a buy :)

I would try lp'ing the original 2 fallouts, but I'm terrible at them. I may consider doing a New vegas playthrough as well though.
Your welcome! And yeah, even if they are unforgiving at times, I believe they are awesome in their own ways.

By the way, what other LPs do you think or plan on doing in the future? I can give you some suggestions if you wish.
Well. I'm always happy to take suggestions on games :) At this point, I'm planning on some indie games that have been provided to me by the creator (I'll say more about that later). I was also considering an older GTA game and beyond that, I'm fairly clueless. If you have any ideas (AAA, indie, whatever), I'm always happy to take a suggestion :)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I justed started up my own lets play today and thought about hunting round this site to see if I could dig up any info and lol and behold I find this topic.

So you want constructive criticism? Since I am starting out myself I will be critical from a viewer's point of view. The thing everyone else says: Enthusiasm. You need some more of it. Aside from that it seems ok though the timing and nature of your jokes need improving, same as me. We are both newbs here. :) So yeah, keep motivated and have fun. Also check out this topic right here that I found, some helpful shyit here.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.238837-Tips-for-Making-a-Lets-Play

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
Dr_Horrible said:
A similar thread came up yesterday. I'll just go ahead and post the same advice here as I did there:

I wish you luck on your endeavor! A Let's Play can be something very enjoyable to create, and to watch if done properly. I've not much experience with creating them myself, but I've done a lot of looking into them.

I do have a few recommendations though. Preparation is key for a successful Let's Play. Recording a play through of something that you're not 100% familiar with, may seems like a decent idea at first, but more often than not your audience will suffer for it. It's imperative that you play through the game or levels beforehand, and know exactly what's expected of you within the game. Trust me....there's no fun in watching someone backtrack through half a level because they forgot to pick up a key for the next puzzle.

Another thing is to make sure your audio recording and video editing skills are competent. If we can't hear you, that's a problem. If their are anomalous and annoying sounds in the background of the commentary track, that's a problem. If you're videos are filled with needless pre-game junk, substantial event-less backtracks, or unnecessary scenes; it's a problem. If you're recording via camcorder, I would rethink you're first attempt at a Let's Play.

I would also recommend that you decide on a theme for your lets play. By that I mean there are many different types of lets plays: A straight play through of the game (much like a visual walk through) with minimal commentary, A play through with a commentary that acts like an interesting factoid about the gameplay elements and creation of the game. Fast and loose play through featuring humorous commentary (with one or several commentators), and so on...

The more structured and well put-together your Lets Play is, the more likely you will maintain an audience past the first video. As a reference, I suggest that you check out the Something Awful Let's play archives. Some notable LP'ers to examine would be those such as: Slowbeef, Chipcheezum, ResearchIndicates, Proteus, many more. Their stuff isn't amazing, but it's a good example to go by.

Again, good luck!

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Saulkar said:
I justed started up my own lets play today and thought about hunting round this site to see if I could dig up any info and lol and behold I find this topic.

So you want constructive criticism? Since I am starting out myself I will be critical from a viewer's point of view. The thing everyone else says: Enthusiasm. You need some more of it. Aside from that it seems ok though the timing and nature of your jokes need improving, same as me. We are both newbs here. :) So yeah, keep motivated and have fun. Also check out this topic right here that I found, some helpful shyit here.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.238837-Tips-for-Making-a-Lets-Play
Thanks for pointing out this thread :) looks useful.

DesertHawk said:
Thanks :) luckily, my recording software and microphone are at the very least rather decent. My plan has also been to create more humor/commentary based videos, although I try to provide interesting information when relevant.

EDIT: by the way, if anyone still can't see playlists, try a different browser. It has problems (at least for me) with Google Chrome, at least from a channel owner's standpoint.