So I want to captain a space ship

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
Ok, I quit eve online, mostly due to the twin evils of it's terrible, terrible comunity and consistent fuckups by it's dev (ccp). Unfortunately, this has left a hole in my life that needs filling, specifically the "I wan't to captain a space ship damnit!" shaped hole.

So, any suggestions? Im after something where I feel like the boss of a large ship, not a fightercraft. Also, I would like to avoid going too retro, so please for the love of god take of the nostalga goggles and suggest things that havn't aged worse than a mould sandwich in a guerrilla's armpit

Crazy_Man_42

Mar 10, 2011
Um....a.... I have nothing really.

Eve Online sounds like the one good bigger then a fighter space ship game out there. I haven't played it but I have played Star Trek Online and well for one it doesn't feel like Trek and the most you do is circle enemy ships and pew pew them till they blow up and of course they give you plenty of ships to blow up. I probably destroyed more ships through the little time I played the game then Sisko, Picard, Janeway, Kirk, and Archer combined.

Put yeah once you start playing the game it gets really boring you've pretty much done everything you can do in that Game after an hour or two because everything is the same.

There is Battlestar Galactica Online you could play but you have to start out with a fighter and save up enough tylium to buy a bigger ship(and they're not cheap either, felt like I was buying a 5 star hotel tower when I bought the ship) Its in the beta phase I believe so it has quite a few bugs. I don't know if you would like it because it's kinda a grind fest of a game. But it is free so you can try it out a little bit and see if you like it.

I understand how you feel. I haven't exactly found a game that can satisfy my desire to be a captain of a starship that isn't the size of a little fighter. But I will continue looking but I do hope someone else can help to find a good game.

Sangnz

Oct 7, 2009
The problem is as far as most devs/publishers seem to feel space is dead. I kinda touched on this in a thread I started up a while ago about why we have never seen anything like homeworld in modern game releases.

Space based games (shooter/sim/rts) just don't seem to be on the radar these days, they may be seen as too niche by the studios so lack of profitability might be keeping them down.
I honestly cannot think of a space shooter/sim off the top of my head since Freelancer in 2003. It tends to make me sad as I LOVED Elite which was one of the original space sims.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Really, really get into the Mass Effect series

That's all I can think of

Also maybe that apparently awful star trek mmo.... Or did I just make that up?

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I heard Star Trek Online is going free-to-play by the end of the year, but I have no clue if it's any good. I guess there's the Mass Effect series until then. I think Infinite Space on the DS has you as a captain of a space ship. It's suppose to be pretty good...

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'd suggest you look into writing, you sound like you're someone looking to fill a creative void, I use to spend a lot of time on video games and books until I started to write myself. Now I write and it's very fulfilling.