So I want to get Minecraft...

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
But I could use some advice for what to put it on.

I currently have a Mac Pro and it still has about 224 Gigs worth of free memory, however I'm just wondering if getting a separate laptop specifically for Minecraft/gaming would be better. If it is, what brand would you guys suggest? Also any tips for getting started?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thanks everyone, I will try it out. I'm not to computer-literate, so that's how I confused hard-drive space with processing power. ^^; As for the classic mode, it runs decently on my computer, but it makes it heat up really fast and the music can be a bit choppy at times. But other than that, it's pretty smooth.

Also, to those who suggested looking into a desktop, I'll check around for a decently priced one. ^_^

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I wouldn't know. I know shit about computers and specs. But I am guessing you should be fine. How much RAM does that have?

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
Minecraft runs on Java.
Basically everything can run it.
However if you're planning on running alot of games it would be worth your time looking towards a gaming desktop.

Also, hard drive space doesn't matter.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
natster43 said:
I wouldn't know. I know shit about computers and specs. But I am guessing you should be fine. How much RAM does that have?
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

These are the main stats of it. Does this help?

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Bluntknife said:
Minecraft runs on Java.
However if you're planning on running alot of games it would be worth your time looking towards a gaming desktop.

Also, hard drive space doesn't matter.
Okay, thank you. :3

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
silversnake4133 said:
natster43 said:

That should run minecraft as well as anything. Its rather buggy, it will crash a lot. Thats not the PC thats just minecraft.

Also - get the "now thats what I call minecraft" mod, it makes the game 100x more awesome.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Bluntknife said:
Minecraft runs on Java.
my Mini-laptop can't run minecraft because it has a bad intergrated Gpu.
It has an intel atom 2.4 ghz prossessor and I upgraded it to 2 GB ram.

But a mac can run minecraft, if you want to be sure try the creative mode on the website its free.

mionic

May 22, 2011
Phishfood said:
silversnake4133 said:
natster43 said:

That should run minecraft as well as anything. Its rather buggy, it will crash a lot. Thats not the PC thats just minecraft.

Also - get the "now thats what I call minecraft" mod, it makes the game 100x more awesome.
I was just gonna say that.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
There is no limit to how many copies of Minecraft you can download. So buy it, play it and stick to the computer that runs best.
Also, call me a purist, but I prefer the game un-modded

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
silversnake4133 said:
But I could use some advice for what to put it on.

I currently have a Mac Pro and it still has about 224 Gigs worth of free memory, however I'm just wondering if getting a separate laptop specifically for Minecraft/gaming would be better. If it is, what brand would you guys suggest? Also any tips for getting started?

Thanks in advance.
your question was answered and all, but I just wanted to say....memory isn't hard drive space. >.>

On a more related note, if you plan on gaming, I would look into a desktop rather than a laptop, also not a mac. I mean..yeah be all go go mac and stuff but, it's much easier to game on a windows machine, boot camp or not.

Not trying to start a flame war.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
try out the classic version first and see if it runs well, it´s free so no harm to try whitout losing money

Blue_Devil13

Jun 10, 2011
I don't know a lot of stuff about computers and memory and graphics and what not, but Minecraft is pretty easy to run. If your going to start gaming a lot on the pc however I would just get a good desktop, go to Best Buy there are normally some pretty good pc nerds there.

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
Varya said:
There is no limit to how many copies of Minecraft you can download. So buy it, play it and stick to the computer that runs best.
Also, call me a purist, but I prefer the game un-modded
Hello my purest brother. :D

OT: you should be fine as long as you have enough processing power and a good graphics chip, if moderate doesn't work for you then put everything on the lowest settings especially rendering distance just too make it easier for you too traverse the world.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
you can do it fine on ur current specs however if u want it for gaming then definately invest in a good desktop. try http://www.hardwiredpc.com.au/ for some high quality cheap desktops. also once u have minecraft u could join my clan at http://btcreepers.forumotion.com/

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
black_knight1337 said:
you can do it fine on ur current specs however if u want it for gaming then definately invest in a good desktop. try http://www.hardwiredpc.com.au/ for some high quality cheap desktops. also once u have minecraft u could join my clan at http://btcreepers.forumotion.com/
Okay thanks. As for the clan, I'll look into it. ^_^

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I think you'll be good to play it, but having a graphics card would help (your mac book might even have one already!).

Danmonkey

Jun 14, 2011
Yeah, it'll run on a mac, but I want to warn you, if you want to use texture packs on a mac, you have to put it in the same folder as the application is in.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
My minecraft install+savegame is less than 200mgb, so space shouldn't be an issue. As far as performance is concerned, don't worry. It runs on Java, which means just about anything made after 2000 can run it.
As far as other games are concerned, get yourself a real PC. Macs and gaming...well...Steam's just about the only place that has a few Mac games outside the indie realm.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
I'm not here to fanboy on my Xbox I promise, but it's coming out for the Kinect soon. Who knows, maybe it'll be a lot more fun that way?