So I want to try some anime...

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I've been noticing that lots of fellow escapists really like anime.
I'd like to sample some of the crop. Nothing too serious, just want to see if it's anything like the stuff I remember from watching Toonami with my sister in the second grade. Any ideas where to start?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Nothing too serious eh? Hmmm...

Outlaw Star and Trigun. Try those, you'll hear about them a lot but that's for good reason, and since you're starting off those are good starters.

If you want something darker go for Baccano!

One Seven One

Feb 5, 2009
Depends on what you like, even if you don't like a serious type of animes I'd highly recommend School Days and Higurashi, if you ever started to want to watch them.

For a funnier, light hearted anime I'd go with K-ON!

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Death Note
Soul Eater
Maybe Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you want something more over-the-top.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
Trigun, Baccano, Hellsing, all mentioned above, are great places to start.

I'd also recommend Elfen Lied if you're up for something a little on the squicky side. Witchblade was also surprisingly good.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
SnootyEnglishman said:
Death Note
Claymore
X
Hellsing
Shana
Code Geass
Shin Chan.
That's some of the most harrowing anime to start off with. And here I was trying to ease him in...

"Hey...is that Hayao Miyazaki?"

*kicks into deep end*

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
Death Note
Claymore
X
Hellsing
Shana
Code Geass
Shin Chan.
That's some of the most harrowing anime to start off with. And here I was trying to ease him in...

"Hey...is that Hayao Miyazaki?"

*kicks into deep end*
If really wants to get into it he needs to go in big. *pulls you in*

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
[sub]The title of this thread makes it sound like you want to try some kind of narcotic drug...[/sub]

As was previously stated, go with Outlaw Star. It's a fantastic anime for newcomers as well as being a highly respected classic amongst the Escapist community. You can't go wrong with Gene Starwind.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Hellsing. Relatively short, pretty cheap, and awesome visuals (Especially the Ultimate series).

Plus, I mean... Nazi defeating vampires? You have no reason to NOT own Hellsing, even more so now that we are drowning in Pansy Vampires. Alucard can save you.

mitchellkenn

Apr 23, 2009
Hayate the Combat Butler
Full Metal Panic
Avartar The last airbender
Zero no Tsukaima
are some pretty good ones.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Full Metal Alchemist is a good one to start with. Death Note as well.

I will recommend Clannad too, in case you're interested in a romantic comedy that is guaranteed to make you laugh a lot, and cry your eyes out later. Seriously, I don't care how tough you think you are, you will cry.

If you want something reminiscent of the old stuff you watched when you were younger, however, I can highly recommend Digimon Tamers. It was the third season of the show, and it was really freaking good. Get the Japanese version with English subtitles if you can, as the English dub was okay at best, and they replaced the awesome soundtrack with some sort of horrible crap.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Outlaw star is a great first suggestion.

My first anime was Akira, followed by Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy bebop and Azumanga Daioh. The first 3 are heavier (akira is heavier than ghost is heavier than bebop which is fairly light) and Azumanga is Azumanga. It doesn't get much lighter :)

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I suggest buso renkin. really fun, really good, and only 26 episodes. very toonami like as well. one of my favorites

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I personally started with Lucky Star, so I guess I can recommend that. Otherwise there's Bleach, which is pretty good for people new to anime.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
My favorites (also the ones that got me into anime) are: When They Cry Higurashi, FLCL (although FLCL is kinda... wierd), Elfen Lied, Death Note, and Slayers.

Higurashi, Elfen Lied, & Death Note are darker animes with blood & violence
FLCL is just weird, but funny in a weird way
And Slayers is fantasy setting (magic, swords, etc.)

Can't really say if you'll enjoy any of these because I don't know what you like, but these are the ones I had my friend watch to get into it.

Also, I heard Trigun is a a good one but I've never seen it.