So IGN decided to ask "why do people hate EA"

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Of course IGN asked why people hate EA, I mean it's not like they're in the right business to know that kind of thing already.

Also, calling the people who hate EA a tiny minority...Well that's just a laughable attempt at an EA defence.

Mint Rubber

Dec 27, 2011
Why I personally hate EA?

Because it's the omen of the industry becoming McVideogames that's why...with everything bad associated to the term.

I just read about damage control marketing and professional trolling so I take the article with a grain of salt.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Crono1973 said:
I hate when people misuse the spoiler tag.

Hint: Don't use the spoiler tag to hide an article that is the main point of your damn thread. If it's the main point of your thread, why hide it?

Also, some people use it to hide entire quoted posts or even YouTube videos that don't contain spoilers.

As for the article, I hate when people act like anything goes because a business is supposed to make money. That's where I stopped reading the "spoiler".
You got it mate there we go fixed because unlike EA I listen to people and their issues and try to fix them

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009

I don't hate EA, but I wouldn't say I like them either. They haven't really produced anything that's got my interest in the last... a long time. I think maybe Nightfire on Gamecube was the last time I got into an EA game... That said, from what I hear they're doing some pretty dodgy stuff with their online passes, utterly shitty Origin pricing and all that.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
malakaira said:
Crono1973 said:

Hint: Don't use the spoiler tag to hide an article that is the main point of your damn thread. If it's the main point of your thread, why hide it?

Also, some people use it to hide entire quoted posts or even YouTube videos that don't contain spoilers.

As for the article, I hate when people act like anything goes because a business is supposed to make money. That's where I stopped reading the "spoiler".
You got it mate there we go fixed because unlike EA I listen to people and their issues and try to fix them
Wow, that's really cool of you. Thanks.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Look, the "they're a corporation" thing doesn't fly - that's not an excuse for treating the people who make you your money like they're your own private cash point. People don't like EA becasue they try to bleed them dry and doing everything in the name of money, when instead they should be doing it in the name of customer satisfaction. Get that and the money follows, as does a more solid fanbase and tolerance for genuine screw-ups.

Oh, hi Valve.

Again: "We're a business to make money," does not equate to a free Be a Dick pass.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
To quote Richard Garriott, the two games he made that weren't as good as they could have been, was when he listened to other people telling him how to do his job.

At its core, that's the problem with the big publishers.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
I stopped paying attention around the time they started citing metacritic scores in EA's defense.

Y'know what metacritic is? A means for developers to openly ignore what their fans think by superimposing that:

"User scores: generally negative."

Right beside this:

"Critic scores: OH MY GOD CAN I SUCK YOUR DICK!? I'LL SUCK YOUR DICK FOR A SANDWICH! I LOVE YOU EA!!!"

(Hint: if user scores almost never align with critic scores, the critics opinion's are useless.)

Also, there's something fundamentally stupid about asking the object of everyone's ire why they're hated. I seriously doubt they have a clear view on things.

Chinese Correspondent: So Mr. President, why does the west fear and hate us?
Hu Jintao: Well naturally they're jealous of our social progress. Next question.

Oh, and one last thing. Colin Campbell? Opening your article like this:

"Did I say hate? I meant dislike. Well, dislike's kind of a strong word. Disagree with, maybe? Well, there's only a few of them. It doesn't really matter. But why are they so irrelevant and wrong?"

Makes you the worst kind of journalist there is. You deserve to wear a badge that reads:

"Fit only to serve fried food. Please kick me."

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Why do people hate EA? Because on the internet it's THE thing to do. They write bile all over forums proclaiming them to be evil, unehtical, etc..... and then run to Gamestop and buy EA games on launch day.

Edit: Reading through these comments is pretty funny. It's remarkable how people on the internet think they are actually a majority of gamers. In truth it's the far opposite.

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
Crono1973 said:
malakaira said:
Crono1973 said:

Wow, that's really cool of you. Thanks.
I prefer it in spoiler tags because my internet has trouble downloading large pictures because I live in a rural area. Can I have that picture spoilerised for my convenience?

Haha I'm just being a smart arse :p However it goes to show that no matter what you do, someone will always whinge about your decision. Just in EA's case they manage to do meet everyone half way and yet still screw it up. Self inflicted screw up's though.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I humbly submit that all that EA hate is much more intense than is justified, and that electing EA to be the 'Worst Company' is the epitome of a First World problem. Compare EA to how the BoA crippled the economy, and EA seems like a harmless little kitten.

I don't particularly like the Origin policies, but as far as I know, they softened them down a little. Even if not, though: Outright hating them is too much. Anyone who goes as far as saying that s/he hates EA clearly has no perspective about real problems and real issues in this world. Or real bad companies.
It is just mastubatory "Oh, you hate EA? I hate EA, too! Let's rant about them and feel good about ourselves!" at this point.

Now, you don't need to like them -- I don't like them, either (I'm indifferent towards them). You can even give voice to reasonable criticism, surely. But hating and condemning them? Some people here even said that if they had billions of dollars, they would use them to crash EA into bankruptcy. Seriously, get a grip.
If you don't like them, don't use their products and ignore them. Negative publicity is still better for them than just ignoring them. You want to damage EA? Stop caring, then.

Edit: Or, as somebody else said: "It's just a fucking video game company, how bad can it be?"

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I dislike EA because of their business practices and their continuing endeavour to ruin all the game series they can get their hands on. That said, I don't hate EA nearly as much as I hate IGN.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
TheKasp said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
I find it funny how he states that EA was voted the worst company in America because of nerd rage over the Mass Effect 3 ending, while in fact EA was voted the worst company in America BEFORE Mass Effect 3 was released.
Because there was no nerdrage going on over ME3 before ME3 was released...
I was nerd raging at ME3 before it was cool.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Allow me:

-This is for buying out some of the best game companies and turning them to mediocrity.
-This is for having some of the worst customer service in the gaming industry.
-This is for deliberately holding back game content for the sole purpose of making customers pay more for it later as DLC.
-This is for strictly enforcing copyrights on content that you did not even create.
-This is for taking the Need for Speed franchise and completely ruining it.
-This is for supporting the S.O.P.A.
-This is for overworking some of your employees with no benefeits, demolishing any creative talent they have.
-This is for making terms of use that allow you to backstab your customers any time you see fit.
-This is for releasing the same things every year, an increasingly large number being the only difference.
-This is for forcing your customers to stay online to even play several games you publish at all.
-This is for backstabbing Valve, preventing the developers you publish for from releasing their games via Steam for the sole purpose of promoting your own platform.
-This is for overhyping your games and not delivering the content you promised.
-This is for increasing the funding of media review organizations to get better reviews of your games.
-This is for monopolizing the entire gaming industry and crushing all that oppose you.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
is pretty anti consumer right now. I believe they are right that AAA games are a little undervalued on the consumer side right now given how expensive it is to make them, but it is madness to suggest that they are trying to tackle the issue in a way that is fair to the consumer.

Bad DRM, forcing the use of Origin and letting IP they own rot on the vine rather than trying to use it are good reasons to hate them. Killing more than a few good classic studios and churning out the same copy/paste games year after year is another good reason(who the fuck buys a new football video game year after year after year? a co-worker who was getting into game design told me that these titles are so rehashed that there is code more than 20 years old in these pieces of shit).

I don't buy a lot of their crap because...it's crap. Bioware is about the only reason I have to purchase from them, especially since 38 Studios is dead.

But the worst in America? Really? There are companies that have been implicated in horrific environmental disasters, economic failures and outright embezzlement on a scale that makes anything EA has done X 1000 seem like the taking of school lunch money from a kid once, by comparison.

Pretty overblown if you ask me.

Which I think you did.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Bigeyez said:
Why do people hate EA? Because on the internet it's THE thing to do. They write bile all over forums proclaiming them to be evil, unehtical, etc..... and then run to Gamestop and buy EA games on launch day.

Edit: Reading through these comments is pretty funny. It's remarkable how people on the internet think they are actually a majority of gamers. In truth it's the far opposite.
http://investor.ea.com/stockquote.cfm

Yup, EA are doing great and its only a few dissenters that are stirring shit... downward slopes are good right?

For clarification, that link shows EAs share prices from June/2011 to now (June/2012). It shows a steady, but undeniable decline in investors faith with EA in the course of a year.

The value of their shares from last year has been cut in half this year. Not only that, but if you look at the trend from last year you can see the pre-christmas lull (august to october), which then leapt up again for the Christmas season. If a similar trend follows this year we're looking at share values less then $10.

EA is feeling the burn, and now they are lashing out, accusing the so called "minority" of being unreasonable and irrational. Because EA is just a business, and they only do good business as evident by their shares.

EDIT: EA will need to pull something phenomenal out of their ass at this stage to reinvigorate investors interest.

Let see whats coming in the next few months into 2013:

NCAA Football 13
2 DLCs for The Sims 3
Madden NFL 13
NHL 13
Fifa 13
Medal of Honour Warfighter
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Command and Conquer 2 Generals
Dead Space 3
SimCity
Crysis 3
SimCity social (possibly a F2P Facebook game)
Overstrike.*

*In the next 8-10 months, EA has only 1 new IP.

Seems like they are playing safe bets. I bet the developers are going to feel the reigns tighten harder.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
Bigeyez said:

http://investor.ea.com/stockquote.cfm

Yup, EA are doing great and its only a few dissenters that are stirring shit... downward slopes are good right?

For clarification, that link shows EAs share prices from June/2011 to now (June/2012). It shows a steady, but undeniable decline in investors faith with EA in the course of a year.

The value of their shares from last year has been cut in half this year. Not only that, but if you look at the trend from last year you can see the pre-christmas lull (august to october), which then leapt up again for the Christmas season. If a similar trend follows this year we're looking at share values less then $10.

EA is feeling the burn, and now they are lashing out, accusing the so called "minority" of being unreasonable and irrational. Because EA is just a business, and they only do good business as evident by their shares.
Thanks for the link, helps illustrate the reality dismissive internet douches are happy to ignore.

And honestly, it amazes me that EA is betting against gamers holding a grudge. They really must not know anything about us >.>