So I'm about to get into Anime...

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Nicholas Mendoza said:
If you want a good sci-fi anime then you should watch "Psycho-Pass". It's about detectives solving crimes in a future Japan whose laws are governed by a robotic system, and later on tackles the problems of having that system decide almost all your choices in life. Below is a better summary of the anime if you're interested.

Summary:
In the near future, it is possible to instantaneously measure a person's mental state, personality, and the probability that a person will commit crimes with technology called the Dominator. Just thinking about a crime can make you guilty, and in this world there is no mercy for criminals. Detectives work in pairs--one Enforcer and one Inspector--with Enforcers delivering lethal justice, and Inspectors making sure their partners don't take things too far. The story follows Enforcer Shinya Kogami, who must solve and manage crimes in this dark future.
This. This this this this. I signed on for the first time in months just to recommend this but someone already did so I will support this. This is great sci-fi and crime drama, and has a good smattering of action as well.

Someone mentioned Gantz. That is...not nearly so good a show, and extremely shallow and infantile, but has sci-fi themed action all over the place.

Daughters of Mnymosene is in a similar boat, but blends psychology and trippy pseudo-religious stuff into the sci-fi. If you wanted the boobs and gore that Gantz offers, this has even more. In fact, since it also has a better story, just watch this one.

Serial Expirements Lain isnt an action anime, but if you like the sci-fi that questions humanities relationship with technology (GitS, PsychoPass) it will serve you well. Trippy, and sometimes disturbing.

Technicolor robots are silly, but Eureka SeveN has lots of sci-fi action as well. And more depth than the silly robots betray.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I haven't really kept up with Anime in years, so I can only give you a list of animes that will have already been said by this point.

-Cowboy Bebop
-Trigun
-Gungrave(It definitely has flaws, but I love it).
-Ghost In The Shell(the movies if you haven't seen them).
-Akira
-Elfen Lied(this is a love it or hate it show with most people)
-Outlaw Star
-Mobile Suit Gundam(Try to watch the movie versions if you can find them. I honestly enjoyed those more than the actual show)
-Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0083
-Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
-Gundam: Char's Counter Attack
-Gundam Wing(Yeah, I really like Gundam)
-Full Metal Panic
-Code Geass(wow I have a lot of mecha shows in this list)
-Moribito: Guardian of The Spirit(more fantasy that Sci-Fi... but absolutely fantastic.)
-Black Lagoon

That's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope it helps!

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Keiichi Morisato said:
Boku No Piku
^ No. IF your new to anime and someone suggests this, know that they are trolling you.

Maybe, MAYBE, if your a teenage girl who likes slightly younger boys you can watch this and not be creepy. Otherwise, the appeal is to hebephiles and pedophiles who like boys.

Caveat: Have not watched it, but I suppose if it had some deep or signficicant story, you might give it a go. I still recommend against it.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Muphin_Mann said:
Keiichi Morisato said:
Boku No Piku
^ No. IF your new to anime and someone suggests this, know that they are trolling you.

Maybe, MAYBE, if your a teenage girl who likes slightly younger boys you can watch this and not be creepy. Otherwise, the appeal is to hebephiles and pedophiles who like boys.

Caveat: Have not watched it, but I suppose if it had some deep or signficicant story, you might give it a go. I still recommend against it.
This will show you why you shouldn't watch Boku.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUDGzFUmTgg

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Lugbzurg said:
Odbarc said:
Death Note, season 1. - Epic story, cliff hanger endings in each episode, very interested psychologically.
To this day, I've never understood all the hate for those last few episodes. The closest thing to a reason I've heard is the outright lie that the cat-and-mouse games end, when they flat-out increase!
Jarlaxl said:
As long as there are a pile of anime fans gathered in one place: why anime?
Because the original poster is unfamiliar with it and wants some recommendations.

Recommendations like Higurashi: When They Cry? 'Cause, That's what I'm watching right now.
I feel that the show always showed their explanation and at the very end, they decided to tell you instead after the fact.
While it made perfect sense, it seemed like a curve ball from their established method of story telling and felt cheap for it.

Kommand

Dec 21, 2012
Movies:

Akira
Metropolis
Jin Roh The Wolf Brigade
All pre-21st century Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films
Grave of the Fireflies

Regular:

Elfen Lied
Code Geass
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gundam (original, UC, Wing)
Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood
Death Note
Shigurui
Basilisk

These were some of my favorite anime(s?). I highly suggest Akira, Miyazaki works, Grave of the Fireflies, and the first four of the regular anime(s?).

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Dr. Cakey said:
Thank you for saying that about SAO. I would have, but I didn't want to be That Guy. Which makes you That Guy, but...
If I must be the sacrificial "That Guy" then so be it. I thank you for your honesty and solidarity.

Dr. Cakey said:
As for Meduca Meguca, I'm of two minds. On the one hand what you say sounds correct. On the other hand, all you really need is to have heard of Sailor Moon before.
True, it really just depends on how you wanna experience the series (but it will be fun either way).

KatieP

May 30, 2013
Hey guys,
I'm a newbie on here, great thread that was started :)
Hopefully I can contribute to the forum as there is a good crowd on here and great topics. Not a huge fan of anime but now and again its ok. To answer the thread, my preference is sci-fi... and One Piece. I like it because its deep and involved which keeps me interested because I can get bored pretty quickly...I don't know why I just tend to lose interest. You guys provide some pretty cool links on here so hopefully I can contribute to you guys from a females perspective maybe? Like whenever I feel creative, I like to use different fonts like sci-fi or star trek or anything like that http://www.fontsaddict.com/ It's pretty cool and I've just started getting really hooked on the free fonts thing because it can bring your emails or anything you do to life..

@ashadowsage, that is a massive list.

Katie

TBman

Oct 31, 2008
Talaris said:
TBman said:
anything labeled yaoi

LOL jk

Future Diary is finally getting a dub :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvC9cRAyJX8
Dammit, video not available in the UK. Mirai Nikki (a.k.a Future Diary) is one of my favourite shows, and I'll most definitely re-watch this series when the dub comes out, if the voice cast is up to par. Though I don't think hearing Yuno cry out "Yuuki!" in a crazed manner will be as effective. Whilst I'm on the subjection, has there been any news on the Mirai Nikki: Redial OVA that was the continue the ending? I read a while back it was to come out in June.

As it's been a while since recommended, I will throw Deadman Wonderland back in the ring. An action series set in a weird and corrupt prison, it has some of the best visuals and atmosphere I've seen for anime, with quite a dark and twisted narrative. Be warned, high levels of violence and gore (for recent anime at least).
don't know anything about the OVA sorry :( the dub cast sounds good although yuno sounds a little more mature and yukki has like a nasaly nerd voice. I just wish Mako (voice of Aku and Iroh) was still alive, he would have been a perfect fit for Deus :(

TBman

Oct 31, 2008
Movie wise, I'd say any miyazaki film and Steamboy. Some of my favorite series are:
Cromartie High School
Fairy Tail
Bleach
Pumpkin Scissors
Full metal panic
Panty and Stocking
Is this a zombie?
Attack on titan

Here are some good anime reviewers too
http://www.youtube.com/user/gigguk
http://www.youtube.com/user/GRArkada
http://www.youtube.com/user/TokyoGirl07/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
Sorry to resurrect this, but I need to ask my question again (it came up in conversation recently): why anime?

And, let me rephrase that: what makes anime different from other television (cartoons, if we must be narrow) that makes it worthy of anime-specific recommendations? "It isn't different" doesn't fly, because people do seek out anime specifically (as in, over other cartoons).

I must reiterate that I am solely curious, especially because, if you asked me, most anime is bad, melodramatic, spectacle-laden garbage, and most of the stuff I find enjoyable is good for reasons I find other, non-anime entertainment good for.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Jarlaxl said:
Sorry to resurrect this, but I need to ask my question again (it came up in conversation recently): why anime?

And, let me rephrase that: what makes anime different from other television (cartoons, if we must be narrow) that makes it worthy of anime-specific recommendations? "It isn't different" doesn't fly, because people do seek out anime specifically (as in, over other cartoons).

I must reiterate that I am solely curious, especially because, if you asked me, most anime is bad, melodramatic, spectacle-laden garbage, and most of the stuff I find enjoyable is good for reasons I find other, non-anime entertainment good for.
I think the reason it's regarded as such a separate entity is because of the cultural difference, in regards to tropes present in anime that most cartoons just don't feature. Go to tvtropes.org, and look at a list of anime tropes. Many of them are fairly unique when compared to non-anime cartoons, and the eminence of these unique tropes can make anime a rather polarizing, "love it or hate it" genre of show. Again, this is just what I think, not some sort of factual answer.

Anyway, as for anime I recommend, all of these aren't strictly sci-fi, but I think you'd be woefully limiting your range of experiences by sticking with just one genre, so I'll throw out some of my favorites. These are listed in no particular order of quality.

Gurren Lagann

Fate: Zero

Cowboy Bebop

Baccano

Death Note

Code Geass

Welcome to the NHK (If you're introverted and have suffered from any degree of social anxiety, this one will really resonate with you. Even if you haven't, it's still a pretty good character piece).

If you want an anime that's currently ongoing, then I'd recommend Attack on Titan.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
Shax said:
I think the reason it's regarded as such a separate entity is because of the cultural difference, in regards to tropes present in anime that most cartoons just don't feature. Go to tvtropes.org, and look at a list of anime tropes. Many of them are fairly unique when compared to non-anime cartoons, and the eminence of these unique tropes can make anime a rather polarizing, "love it or hate it" genre of show. Again, this is just what I think, not some sort of factual answer.
I quite appreciate that answer, actually. It makes plenty of sense. I didn't really expect a Unifying Theory of Anime, but you basically said "it's different" which is so simple yet something I just overlooked. <_<

I'd also like to apologize in case I came off as abrasive in the previous comment, especially to fans of anime; this has been an issue of surprising frustration for me recently. I do like some anime - Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and Outlaw Star come to mind - I just have difficulty getting into it on the whole/as a genre. It's just not my bag, I guess.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Jarlaxl said:
Shax said:
I quite appreciate that answer, actually. It makes plenty of sense. I didn't really expect a Unifying Theory of Anime, but you basically said "it's different" which is so simple yet something I just overlooked. <_<

I'd also like to apologize in case I came off as abrasive in the previous comment, especially to fans of anime; this has been an issue of surprising frustration for me recently. I do like some anime - Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and Outlaw Star come to mind - I just have difficulty getting into it on the whole/as a genre. It's just not my bag, I guess.
Glad I could be of help.

And I don't really think there's any need to apologize. You didn't go out of your way to insult anybody, and you're free to have your opinion on anime. In some ways, I kind of agree with you that a lot of anime is junk. I research a series quite extensively before I watch it, because I don't want to get 5 episodes into a show just to find out that it's just some shallow harem show.