So I'm (finally) getting a gaming PC

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
I would recommend providing your budget range, what sort of peripherals you need/want, what sort of games you want to play, whether you want to build your own or not, what country you're in, etc. People need more info before they can make any helpful recommendations.

I'd also recommend vising a site dedicated to building/buying PC's, but i don't really know any so can't help you there.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
If you don't plan on putting it together yourself or this seems out of your league, then I'd suggest your first step would be to find a trustworthy shop that can put your computer for you and help you pick out parts. I'd also suggest you give consideration to using Windows 8 for your OS instead of 7. Its supposedly optimized better and you can get a skin to make it work just like Windows 7. The other solid advice I can give you, is to get a solid[footnote]not sure where this pun came from. I apologize[/footnote] state hard drive for your computer. They're becoming the norm and the difference between them and normal hard disk is big. If you want a lot of space, then you might want to get one affordable solid state drive for programs, games, and the OS (to make them run faster) and a terabyte hard disk for storing things like movies, music, pictures and other things that don't need the best speeds

And at the risk of undoing the advice I just gave you, I'd also suggest you take any advice you find here with some salt. I've seen people recommend stupid stuff like 16 gigs of ram (8 for the record is more than enough) and promise people the moon when it comes to their pc build. There are a lot of people who know what they're talking about here, but maybe try browsing threads on AnandTech [http://forums.anandtech.com/] for example

Pinkscare

Wearin' Steam Badges
Jul 19, 2013
We need more details, man. Budget? Building it yourself? Buying it? Help us help you.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
ibuypower.com can pretty much do it all for you. I know, some people will want to slap me for suggesting this, but their custom PC builder is quick, easy to understand, and won't let you do something like get a huge video card that your power supply can't handle.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
Yes because we need 5 people to say we need a budget <_<

Anyway welcome to the light side, the meetings are on Wednesdays, and the bathrooms are down the hall on the right.

OT: Echoing some other statements, If your going to have it built use someone who is local and you trust, avoid big dealers they will just screw you.

In my experience with computers going over-kill on the power (RAM, etc.) is better because it works like future proofing, you can spend 1000 now and need to upgrade in 2 years or spend 1800 and need to upgrade in 8-10. So in short, Go big or go back to the store way more often.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Get off the internet and talk to your real friends that build custom PCs. They wont be as condescending and can teach you the skills that you'll need long term. They'll probably help you assemble it as well.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Just don't get a gaming laptop. You'll have heating issues, battery issues and limited in what you can upgrade.

As for hardware, get the stuff that's one step behind the bleeding edge. i5 processor, GTX 600 series or early 700. RAM is dirt cheap though so just max that shit.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Welcome to the wonderful world of PC gaming. We're sure you'll like it here.

First off, here is the Escapist's usergroup for PC enthusiasts and such. Most, if not all, of us build our own PCs, and are quite knowledgeable about the whole process. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/PC-Builders-and-Hardware-Group

Second, as has been said many times, we need information. This is like saying "I need a gaming device, what do I get?". It could lead to suggestions to get a Xbox 360 when what you wanted was a portable device capable of playing most current gen games, with a good battery life and that costs less than $300. The 360 does not work in that case.

Information that will be needed:
1. A budget, as has been said many times. How much would you like to spend? PCs can range anywhere from $300 to $5000. Without any idea of where to put you on the budget, we can't really pick the most cost effective parts to get you what you want.
2. Are you willing to build it yourself, or would you have to buy prebuilt? Building yourself also includes finding your local tech store and having them build it for you, or having a friend/family member build it for you.
3. Laptop or PC?
4. Do you already have peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers? Or would you have to purchase those?
5. Where you'd like to see the budget allocated. Least important, and you can probably skip, but what would you like the build to focus on? Maximum FPS in games on highest settings? Fast loading times? Being quiet whilst running well? Putting more money into certain components will increase the capabilities of the PC in certain regards, whilst the budget sacrifices in other areas will reduce what you get out of it in others. Some idea of what you'd like to focus on would be nice, but is not necessary.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
If you are interested in building your own PC then you should get some advice in the PC Builders and Hardware Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/PC-Builders-and-Hardware-Group]

Everyone is very friendly and willing to give all sorts of advice.