So I'm getting a next-gen console, but need some recommendations.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, now I actually have a job that pays money and have been working craptons of overtime, I finally find myself in the position of being able to take the metaphorical plunge and finally buy myself a next-gen console.

Don't worry, this isn't going to turn into a "which one should I get?" situation because I've already very solidly decided (despite the urging of a frankly alarming amount of my friends to do the opposite) to get myself a PlayStation 4.

So now we come to the problem: I need some recommendations for what PS4 games to pick up with it. Because there's quite a few I'm interested in but I can't afford to splurge and buy all of them, so I need to narrow it down to some choice highlights. And since I admit that much like Jon Snow I know nothing, I thought I'd turn to some people who do know what they're talking out.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The games I'm personally enjoying the most on PS4 are Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein, NFS Rivals, Outlast, Strider, Sniper Elite 3(guilty pleasure :p), Resogun and the multiplayer portion of BF4. Killzone is alright as well if you enjoyed the previous ones.

So it depends on what your interested in. Open world, shooter, racer, survival horror etc. For what is essentially still a launch line-up PS4 isn't bad. I remember on PS3 around this time I only really enjoyed Resistance and The Darkness(incidentally Starbreeze who made this game also had key staff working on Wolfenstein if I recall correctly).

If you wait out for fall there is also a lot of (hopefully) really good stuff coming out like Evil Within, Far Cry 4, AC Unity and Alien Isolation.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
If you like MMOs, Final fantasy 14 is a good buy. Looks great plays great and loads of fun.

Wolfenstein:TNO is also a very good FPS, no multiplayer though.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
...I'm sorry, but I have to engage in the obligatory 'pc gamz' post. I was pulling myself away from this thread thinking 'no, don't bother making the PC gaming point, his/her mind's probably already made up' - but I think the point is worth making. Especially in your situation where you want quite a few games, it'd be a good idea to simply spend the money on a PC, as it'll end up cheaper because of the stark difference in pricing of games. There's all the other things as well: you can actually experience 'next gen' graphical fidelity, you have the ability to use either mouse+keyboard or controller to your own preferences, it's just as easy as a console to set up, and a myriad of other things I haven't mentioned here because the comprehensive list is actually quite long.

At the end of the day, the PS4 has only one thing going for it - the exclusives (by definition, of course). From wikipedia (valuable and reliable source, I know) there are apparently 27 exclusives, of which quite a few don't seem to be what I'd call deal-breakers, but that is your call to make.

Anyway, I hope when you're done you've made the right decision for yourself and your situation, and you get fun out of whatever console/games you get.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
If having a proper gaming PC in my room was a feasible and realistic option for me, I wouldn't be asking after consoles. Unfortunately due to hang-ups such as my room being a bloody cupboard with barely enough room for the stuff I already have without adding an extra table to it for the purposes of storing and using a desktop PC and the problem of me being the most un-technical idiot to ever stalk the Earth, being a member of the "PC gaming master race" is not an option and thus I must rely on consoles for any kind of gaming that's remotely up-to-date.

I probably should have put this information in the OP because I knew I'd get the "lol consoles lol" responses at least once or twice.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
ReservoirAngel said:
"lol consoles lol"
Glad we're treating the issue with weight, :p

I know you won't change your mind, but I do believe that the issues you're presenting are based on misconceptions, given that a: you're using the internet, that's all you need to be technologically-savvy enough to set up a PC, and b: the space you need for a console is pretty much the space you need for a PC, so if space was a real issue you wouldn't be getting a console at all. (One can plug a PC into a TV, you see, and the rig itself can just sit about one's shelving unit)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be inflammatory(!), not at all, but I find it intellectually dishonest to not clear up misconceptions where they lie. (And again, I wish you luck with what game/consoles you end up purchasing.)

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
I would definitely recommend Infamous: Second Son if you like Superhero/open-world games. It was really fun and one of the first games I ever 100% completed. Wolfenstein The New Order is also a really good game for FPS fans.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
In my ideal world I'd have a kick-ass gaming PC but it's not like I just arbitrarily decided I couldn't. I have ridiculously little shelf space. To get a PS4 in here I have to remove my Blu Ray player and even then will probably have to stand the console up vertically to make it fit. And that's not even bringing into account the keyboard and mouse. I don't sit at a table to use my laptop, you know. I use this thing sat on my bed because it's the only space I have. To use a mouse with this laptop I need to sit on one side with a large book next to me to serve as a flat surface to use the mouse on.

I am not set up for a convenient PC gaming experience. Hence why I'm in the market for a console.

And I have to call nonsense on the idea that using the internet is enough tech skill to be able to create, set-up and use a proper gaming PC. To get such a thing at anywhere near an affordable price you have to go the build it yourself route, and I am not even apologetic about saying that that is a skill I do not have and never will. I can't bake cakes either, that's why I buy them from bakers. Because they know what they're doing so I go with them, even if it might cost more than the individual ingredients.

And pre-built gaming PCs are frankly fucking ridiculous in the pricing, so sod that.

I know some people will never be convinced that a console can ever be better than a PC in any situation, but for my situation a console is just the most convenient option for me.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
It's too early for a next-gen console. The Wii U has a lead by a year, and it too is still a bit flat. If you want the bragging rights of owning the newest, greatest thing, I guess go for it, but I doubt you will find 5 games on the system that are really worth playing through.

Booklover13

Mar 10, 2014
OP: If you haven't played Tomb Raider yet I would go for that. Its cheaper and I have heard good things about the definitive edition.

Remaiki said:
I know you won't change your mind, but I do believe that the issues you're presenting are based on misconceptions, given that a: you're using the internet, that's all you need to be technologically-savvy enough to set up a PC, and b: the space you need for a console is pretty much the space you need for a PC, so if space was a real issue you wouldn't be getting a console at all. (One can plug a PC into a TV, you see, and the rig itself can just sit about one's shelving unit)
I really dislike when people say building a pc is easy, because they have their own set of misconceptions. A) Its not that simple, even understanding the terminology of what is in a computer, and how those specs affect your results can be confusing. It is easy for people to forget how hard something is once they can do it. Just because I can drive a car does not mean I can change the oil. B) Having the confidence to do so when you lack a technical background is actually quite a big hurtle. Don't just dismiss it because this is where risk/reward balancing is huge. It is not worth the risk of messing up a key step and thereby ruining all my work. Especially when I am not that confident I did everything right in the first place.

Now add those to things to the fact that in order to receive the the same space requirements (not including the keyboard and all that stuff) you have to work within a 2.09 x 10.83 x 12.01 in (Size of a PS4) space. That is much smaller then the 9.1 x 18.9 x 19.5 in case I found was recommended when building a PC under $1000. In order to build it in a smaller case I expect a person would need more then beginner level skills to do so. Note for this I just looked at the first few links I would find. Same as someone doing basic research on sizes.

I get that you don't want to be inflammatory, and understand where your coming from. But as someone who enjoys technology without being the most tech-able person in the world, I find that many people don't understand there can be quite a large learning curve. It terms of relative skill level and understanding, that is like me saying it is simple for you to fix your car, why don't you. It's not meant to be mean or anything negative, but it comes from an assumption that everyone is as skilled as you think they are. I know what my skill level is, and my time value of money. The effort it would take to be competent makes the cost for the PC far outweigh the cost of something I can just buy.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yup, i knew before clicking on this thread that the PC gamer elite would have their say. I understand the limitations of not being able to house a PC setup. Hence it is a lot more convenient to get a console, especially with a busy life.
PS4 does have some interesting exclusives. Some upcoming Amnesia-esque horrors too! Infamous second son looks worth a try. Hopefully itll be cheaper now its been out a while.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
ReservoirAngel said:
Fair enough.

I personally think that we should never presume malice when discussing these things, but it happened, regardless, even when I openly expressed how I was simply housing the other argument, which could have been a benefit in the long run. (This isn't targeted at you, OP, I understand your stance) As such, I'm not going to bother writing and explaining why anyone can put together a PC, as it will be inevitable taken as the 'elite' looking down at 'the poor console gamers'.

(Also, very balanced post, booklover13, I'm glad someone can the point I'm trying to make without presuming Nazi-like regimes.)

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
So, yeah, the idea that building a gaming PC is a "cheap, rewarding, easy experience" is pretty much gunk from my perspective. I'm still going to go through with it, but after the stress and minor panic attack that this was... I believe it's anything but easy and stress-free.
That's kind of where I'm coming from and I'm having to make a second build because me and my then ex roomie tried building one together only he managed to screw me out of money for a poor build that wouldn't last me 5 years, needless to say he's in the past but more recently I've been having assistance from other friends (not wanting to screw me over) while using PC parts picker, only problem is I've got at least 5 saved builds so far and they were cheap around a month or two ago and even with the recent builds most of the 5 have shot straight up past the £800 mark, two of them were at least £600...

Yeah I'm not exactly happy with the way the market works to be honest because really I can't get parts cheap unless I get them now, but that would mean half the parts which I don't want to do and what I was advised not to (buy them all at the same time) and that presents a problem because the parts are just getting more expensive by the day rather than cheaper, it's almost like Moore's law gave you half a fuck instead of the whole thing when it comes to money, I can't say I'm thrilled about it at all because 1) I have to make a new build and 2)I need to throw another stack of money to fix the first mistake and it still hasn't gotten any cheaper in my eyes.

After today's results of my builds I'm starting to think it;s better to just stay with a moderately shit PC for a longer while and instead just go for the Wii U I've wanted before years end (get it sooner) and then an XB1 later on next year and maybe then bother with making a new build when I can actually get plenty of performance parts at prices that won't shoot up, I know people say you have to play catch up with each new console gen but here I am having to play catch up with individual PC parts which feels far worse to me.