So I'm getting myself a 3DS...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I need your help. Is the XL version or the regular size better? Which games are your favorites to it?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well really the XL is the better choice for the size of the screen and apparent longer battery life. I myself have an original 3DS, but that is because I always intended to modify mine with a capture board, which I have now.

Game wise, the game on the 3DS I just haven't been able to put down since day one is Kirby Triple Deluxe. The game has so much charm, personality, and is just plain fun. Not to mention it references all Kirby games, in the form of keychains, and story elements and attacks reference other games such as Super Star/Super Star Ultra, Canvas Curse, and Amazing Mirror especially.

Other games that are must owns for 3DS users are:
Bravely Default
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Pokemon X/Pokemon Y

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Games I own: Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate.

Get the XL, it's fucking awesome. And get a bundle, too.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Don't forget about Kingdom Hearts 3D!

It's the next title that I plan to get and I'm sure that Fire Emblem Awakening is also a good title.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Go with the XL. Its substantially bigger and more comfortable then the regular version.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Xl. Is great, feels great.

I just own three games, but all are great and big time sinks, which I prefer in handheld games.

Pokémon X/Y
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Pokemon for obvious reasons, but is really nice for returning players like me. X was the first Pokémon game I bought in a long while.
Fire emblem is a must have 3ds title, especially if you like strategy games. It is easy to play and a lot of replay value and options. This is the first FE title I ever owned and I love it.
I just bought Monster Hunter, but I already have played more than twenty hours. The game is great on the 3DSXl and there is A LOT of content. I have barely scratched the surface of the content so far.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I haven't owned the normal sized version but the XL is worth it as it fit perfectly in your hands.

As for the games I got-
Animal Crossing (NOLY if you want to throw your life away).
Professor Layton Vs Pheonix Wright
Pokemon X
Professor Layton and the Miricle Mask.
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Kricketz

Apr 25, 2014
I also recommend getting a XL. It feels much better than the original.

My game recommendations:

Super Mario 3D Land
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Bravery Default
Starfox 64 3D

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
The XL is the one I own and it's great, so I say go with that one.

As for the games...everything I can think of off the top of my head has already been suggested. XD Oh, except the Devil Survivor remake (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked).

GeneralBigG

Environmentalist Clarksonian
Jun 26, 2012
Another one here with the XL. Only just got it, but it's absolutely great. The size is perfect, can't imagine the normal version being big enough. Games I own so far are:

Bravely Default
A Link Between Worlds
Star Fox 64 3D
Ocarina of Time 3D

Got the Legend of Zelda edition of the console, looks preeety damn SWEEEEET, if I say so myself!

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
All of my suggestions have already been listed, but just to help convince you...

Zelda: Link Between Worlds, my favorite on the system. It's just a great Zelda game all around.

Pokemon X and Y, while I would not say they are the best Pokemon games, they are really awesome. The visuals alone make it worth it, and it certainly made getting into competitive battling a lot easier.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, I got it about a year after it came out and I've been kicking myself for not getting it sooner. It is an excellent game.

Those are my favorites on the 3DS, but others I would recommend:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, especially if you never played the original, or if you like the original, it's an excellent remake.
Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Kid Icarus Uprising, but I must warn you the controls are incredibly uncomfortable, especially if you are left handed like myself. Other than that it's a good game.
Mario Kart 7, just a fun game to play on the go if you like Mario Kart.

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
Just keep in mind if you are buying an XL, the resolution does not change.

As for game reccomendations:
Kid Icarus Uprising
SMT:IV
SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked

would be my personal favorites.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
XL, no questions asked. None~

Also: Kid Icarus Uprising, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate, Kirby Triple Deluxe

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Fire Emblem Awakening, Rune Factory 4, Bravely Default, any nintendo first party games, Layton vs. Phoenix, Animal Crossing, Shin Megami Tensei IV, SMT: Devil Survivor.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I need your help. Is the XL version or the regular size better? Which games are your favorites to it?
XL for sure. Easier to hold, longer battery life, larger screens...there's really no downside for so little more for the unit. I started with an XL and whenever I see my boyfriend's regular 3DS I cannot comprehend how he can properly play anything on that puny thing.

And as for games, I've recently picked up Bravely Default and can hardly put it down. And if you're a fan of the Professor Layton series you can't go wrong with Azran Legacy. If you've never played the Professor Layton series...well, you should get on that. The order is thus:

First Trilogy:
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
...Diabolical Box (EU Title is Pandora's Box)
...Unwound Future (Lost Future)

Second Trilogy:
...Last Specter (Spectre's Call)
...Eternal Diva (this is a movie, but it is canonical with the games and chronologically belongs here)
...Miracle Mask (Mask of Miracle)
...Azran Legacy.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
I've heard the shoulder buttons on the 3DSXL break after a rather short time, but I can not confirm this.

I can however confirm that the regular 3DS is one of the most uncomfortable portable systems in history to play games on. Within an hour of every session, my knuckles would be killing me.

As for the games... I haven't actually played any besides star fox 64 3d and Mario land 3d. That's not the system's fault though, I just never got around to buying anything after Christmas of 2011.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
People say the Xl fixes design flaws of predacessors, but I don't know for sure.

Games?
Pokemon X, or Y, or both if you're feeling it.
Senran Kagura Burst
Rune factory 4
Samurai warriors Chronicles
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Style savvy trendsetters
Real Deal baseball
Project X-zone
Crazy Construction

I'm sure there's the obvious like Fire Emblem Awakening, Zeldas, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, etc.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The XL has a fat ass but I'll be damned if it doesn't run nice and smooth. Also, some advice, don't get SMT IV unless you are very patient.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I absolutely love my limited edition Pokemon 3DS XL, the screen is nice and clear. My favourite games for it are as follows:

Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney vs Professor Layton
Monster hunter 3 ultimate
Pokemon X and Y
Legend of Zelda: A link between worlds
Luigi's mansion 2

I am also thinking of picking up the new Kirby game as well.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I have the XL, and it feels very comfortable to me. Aside from the apparent longer battery it also comes with a bigger memory card. The regular is 2GB and the XL comes with a 4GB.
As for games I like Shin Megami Tensei IV, Fire emblem Awakening, Pokemon Y, and Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies.