So I'm moving to Australia...

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
strum4h said:
I am going there for a semester of college. I hope there are hot Australian women.
Of course there will be it's an immigrant nation we got hot in all the shades it comes in.

VampiresDontSparkle

Jan 14, 2010
Queensland. Seriously, it's awesome.

Pretty much all of Australia has definite must-visit places. The most obvious ones are the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, the Twelve Apostles, etc. Melbourne is a great city, it's my favourite so far (I wish I lived there). Just avoid spiders, snakes, crocs, and -- ah, screw it, stay away from the animals.

(Just kidding. To be honest, living here isn't nearly as life-threatening as everyone makes it out to be.)

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Kortney said:
Yeah, I second this. They are the most aggressive bird in the entire world. There was a recent thread that was pretty similar to this. I suggest you try and find it you will probably find it pretty useful.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Cobbs said:
I suggest you read the following articles on our fine fine land and absorb all the infomation that you can.
http://www.cracked.com/funny-163-australia/
and
http://www.cracked.com/funny-5997-the-animals-that-make-australia-deathtrap-it-is/

Have Fun XD
Along with <a href=http://www.cracked.com/article_16868_the-6-deadliest-creatures-that-can-fit-in-your-shoe_p1.html>this.

Seriously, if it looks dangerous it probably is. And the cute, fluffy stuff wants to claw your eyes out.

The women are hot though :D (eg: me)

YepGeddon

Apr 16, 2009
Radelaide said:
Cobbs said:
I suggest you read the following articles on our fine fine land and absorb all the infomation that you can.
http://www.cracked.com/funny-163-australia/
and
http://www.cracked.com/funny-5997-the-animals-that-make-australia-deathtrap-it-is/

Have Fun XD
Along with <a href=http://www.cracked.com/article_16868_the-6-deadliest-creatures-that-can-fit-in-your-shoe_p1.html>this.

Seriously, if it looks dangerous it probably is. And the cute, fluffy stuff wants to claw your eyes out.

The women are hot though :D (eg: me)
Yay for hot women and deadly animals. Like totally the 2 most awesome things ever.

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
YepGeddon said:
backpacking with a couple friends for a year or two. Any tips for living in Australia (i.e key places to visit or avoid, what animals not to fuck with, that kinda stuff) Oh and I currently live in the UK, so I'm guessing Australia is like the UK just sunnier and involves BBQs at Christmas.
If you end up in Sydney, people are gonna be telling you to check out the nightlife at Kings Cross and the harbour, do so if you must, but you need to head to a little place, corner of George and Liverpool, called Bar Century. Its an experience not to be missed.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
There isn't as much dangerous wildlife as the internet says there is... So if i'm posting this...

But anyway you should probably bring a cold cloth along. And avoid bogans at all costs. *Shuders*

Edit: How could I forget? http://www.just-whatever.com/2008/09/21/this-doesnt-happen-in-australia/

YepGeddon

Apr 16, 2009
Lake Deuteronomy said:
YepGeddon said:
backpacking with a couple friends for a year or two. Any tips for living in Australia (i.e key places to visit or avoid, what animals not to fuck with, that kinda stuff) Oh and I currently live in the UK, so I'm guessing Australia is like the UK just sunnier and involves BBQs at Christmas.
If you end up in Sydney, people are gonna be telling you to check out the nightlife at Kings Cross and the harbour, do so if you must, but you need to head to a little place, corner of George and Liverpool, called Bar Century. Its an experience not to be missed.
Looks good, will have to put it on the list of places to visit, thanks. :)

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I'd recommend the eastern coast, that's where the best beaches are, including the great barrier reef.

The Gold Coast (about an hour long train ride south of Brisbane) has pretty good beaches and a strong entertainment district, as well as a couple of theme parks.

Brisbane also has the Mana Bar (and if you're going next year, me).

Melbourne is the arty city.

Tasmania is pretty good if you like nature and rainforests, but it's kinda bogan (it also has a chocolate factory that sells poorly manufactured chocolate really cheap).

As for Sydney...I don't know much about Sydney other than its landmarks.

Also: Out of all of the animals to look out for, snakes are the most likely one you will come across, just don't antagonize them and look where you're stepping at night.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I live in Perth and I find it a very nice intresting city. (No I'm not a boring person)

Well Perth is spread out compared to many cities. So you should find out how you want to get around. Public transport is ok I guess. You might have to wait 15-20 min for a bus or train. Traffic is good unless it's peak time.

Like others have said the beaches are nice (not in winter). You might want to see the bell tower when your in the city. It's nothing special but if your down there you might as well see it. Nice spot though, open and nice view. King's Park is another place you might want to see. See an AFL match if your into sport. Would have to be the right time of year. People say Perth is boring but they just don't know what to do. Check a celendar for events that happening.

Turbo_Destructor

Apr 5, 2010
I'm an Aussie, never actually left Australia.
I'm not much of a sight seer (not sure if that makes sense), so apart from the obvious (Opera house, harbour bridge, uluru) I can't really reccommend much... if youre in Sydney, stay away from Redfern if u can, especially at night. Also, Paramatta is a shit hole.

If you're going to Queensland, the Gold Coast is overrated. The Sunshine coast is quieter, much nicer and very backpacker-friendly.

As for animals you dont want to fuck with... almost everything that has scales, we have most if the most poisonous snakes in the world. Most of the mammals will just run away, and the birds don't usually cause any trouble, just watch your food around the magpies and kookaburras. but yeah, be careful of the bugs, and the reptiles.

Best of Luck, I hope you really enjoy your trip. Welcome to Australia (for when you arrive) :)

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Dude come to Melbourne if you want to have a sweet night out. Shit goes off here.

Above all have fun. Most people are nice, but just like any country we have our wankers to. Hopefully you won't bump into anything too deadly... but since your starting in Perth, keep an eye out for Scorpions. Tricky little buggers they are.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
YepGeddon said:
Awesome, so the plan is, I stay the fuck away from anything that breathes and isn't human. Avoid lakes, swimming, places where people seem to die a lot, the arid deserts and eat lots of meat. If I survive the trip, I'll tell you guys how it went.
Don't wander through the desert please ... Australia is safe if you know what you're doing, but tourists who do go out into the interior eventually radio in a day later because they're low on water, food, or because they didn't know how to drive a 4x4 and their car has been partly swallowed by the moving dunes.

Then it costs us hundreds of thousands to send out search and rescue teams because they hadn't figured out that grid-to-magnetic (compass to topographical mapping) navigation is off by about 10.3 degrees .... so they aren't where they say they are.

So don't backpack into the interior and merely backpack between major human population clusters please ... There's a reason why the grand majority of Humanity on the continent chooses to settle on the Eastern Seaboard.

Basically here's a very simple map to follow ... anyplace marked semi-arid or arid is best to avoid unless you know you can get there safely and with minimal effort (find someone to drive you all the way).

http://www.diamantina-tour.com.au/maps/australia_deserts/arid_zone.jpg

RandyPants

Jul 9, 2010
YepGeddon said:
The_Healer said:
YepGeddon said:
Where are you moving to? Its a big place and it changes a lot over each state.
Well going over to stay with family in Perth for a month or two then travelling about from there. Perth seems pretty safe.. And if we've got any aussie skateboarders on the escapist it would be lovely to know where its good to skate or what not around the country.. I hear the scene is pretty good in Perth.
I stayed at this place called North Lodge down in Perth when I backpacked around before settlin in, there are a few places like that. :) Pretty decent.

But yeah, try and get outta Perth a bit - I mean, I live in Perth, there isn't all that much to do :p Visit King's Park if you can, great views of the city/river, and it's splendid for walks. :)
Melbourne has decent nightlife. :) Well, so does Perth. :D *loyal Perthian*

Beaches. Fuck everything else, go to a beach. ;) Try your hand at kitesurfing or something. ;)

Folks are friendly, they'll help you out quite happily on the street with directions or whatever. :)

And yeah, don't backpack out in the middle of nowhere, unless you have a really large party. :p

Chronamut said:
Don't listen to when people say our country is full of dangerous insects and animals, thats just the rural parts, the cities and bigger towns are fairly good, and the small towns and places aren't that bad.
Was just gonna say that - I haven't had much problems with that living in a city - just an occasional redback/black widow running around.