So is BDO basically Dynasty Warriors Online?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I never really looked into BDO when it was first making the rounds, I just wasn't in an MMO mood at that time. But I was watching some gameplay footage of the classes, and it basically looks like Dynasty Warriors, at least in the basic combat system.

Would anyone who actually plays the game say that's a roughly accurate description? And just so we're clear, I actually like the Dynasty Warrior games for the most part, so the comparison isn't an insult, it's just what I see from the footage I saw.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Have not played it myself but was looking close because I wanted to. It has action combat, but it is a sand box. Not exactly like Star Wars Galaxies or EVE, but the idea like the similar ArcheAge, there is a main quest though you really want to make progress with stuff like housing, life skills, and contributing to the market.

Tera or Blade and Soul may be more of what you are looking for. Those are more for killing many things stylishly.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Tera or Blade and Soul may be more of what you are looking for. Those are more for killing many things stylishly.
BDO is actually very good at allowing you to kill things stylishly. I can't say how much it's like Dynasty warriors though as I've never played that. Apart from that you can kill a lot of enemies at once in BDO as well.

TERA especially in the beginning will mostly have you fighting 1 or only a few enemies at once. The combat system is different from BDO, but just as fun imo. Maybe a bit more static depending on class.

Blade and Soul is...a bit meh in terms of combat. It mostly consists of pressing your hotkeys in a specific order, and while you can move and dodge you generally don't need to do a lot of it while levelling at least.

I say try out BDO if you like to do more than just killing stuff. As, while it's a sandbox, there's quite a few other things you can do in the game. And try the other two either way, because they're free to play anyway.

Jan 27, 2011
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Might as well slap Phantasy Star Online 2 Up there too. The Melee classes are all about slasing up enemies in cool ways too (Gun users and mages basically turn the game into a shooter)

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
It is absolutely not an online dynasty warriors game. BDO, does have a flashy combat system, but it is a grindfest to end all grindfests. You wont be murdering millions of mooks inbetween bosses, while the combat is flashy it is still very WoW-like in that you aggro a mob, kill it, move on to the next, etc.

BDO seems to specialize more in jobs. Not like classes, but like actual jobs. Fishing, Farming, etc. The character creator is fantastic, but there isn't really anything exciting about the game unless you really like to grind of shit in the most complex ways possible.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
CritialGaming said:
It is absolutely not an online dynasty warriors game. BDO, does have a flashy combat system, but it is a grindfest to end all grindfests. You wont be murdering millions of mooks inbetween bosses, while the combat is flashy it is still very WoW-like in that you aggro a mob, kill it, move on to the next, etc.

BDO seems to specialize more in jobs. Not like classes, but like actual jobs. Fishing, Farming, etc. The character creator is fantastic, but there isn't really anything exciting about the game unless you really like to grind of shit in the most complex ways possible.
Yeah this is by far the biggest thing I've heard about BDO. Gonna skip out on it.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Not a fan of BDO. The grinding is absolutely awful. A fun game, to be sure, but once you start getting to higher levels that's basically it. Grinding until you can actually do the occasional fun thing.