So, I've been having these hallucinations recently...

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
mind telling me what kind of medication these are? and where I can get some?
(screw this, i wanna hang out with spiderman and green lantern!)

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I don't think I've ever had hallucinations, and I don't want to, because unlike your lucky self, I think mine would be full of things I'm afraid of.

But anyway, doctor seeing.

Edit: Today I learned (from this thread)I want to have sleep paralysis even less

Retal19

Dec 5, 2010
Only ever had the minor auditory hallucinations everyone has. The typical stuff. People calling your name when they aren't mainly, sometimes just little strange organic noises (not like squeaking or barking, things like growling in the walls, mumbling noises, etc.) when I'm alone in the house, or people talking when there's no one around.

It's annoying, although the little organic noises and the talking can be terrifying at Night when I start to get tired and paranoid. I do not like Auditory Hallucinations because they're really just your brain acting like an idiot, but at least they're nice enough to only turn up like, once every month.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
tthor said:
mind telling me what kind of medication these are? and where I can get some?
(screw this, i wanna hang out with spiderman and green lantern!)
I'd assume Ambien (Zolpidem), which is probably the most commonly prescribed sleep aid.
There is actually a game out there called the "Ambien challenge" in which you pop one or more pills, then try to stay awake in order to drift into a hallucinogenic dreamlike state.

Problem is that this stuff can be highly addictive, both psychologically and physically (it is chemically classified as a "non-benzodiazepine", meaning that despite its distinct structure it produces effects similar to the extremely habit-forming "benzos"), so my advice would be not to screw around with it.

Aug 25, 2009
Hallucinated while tired a few times (like, awake for five days sort of tired)

Mostly it was little things like the walls bending or the floor being the ceiling, but there were a few more terrifying ones.

Probably the most memorable was the drowned little girl thing. It was basically this little girl who was entirely white, white hair, white skin, white clothes, who kept appearing in front of me. She was dripping wet and didn't have eyes, just empty holes where her eyes should have been, and she always got uncomfortably close before disappearing. I was convinced one time that she was going to kill me, but that was the point where I lost consciousness and woke up eighteen hours later fully rested.

Yeah, she made a few repeat appearances in dreams after that as well.

Normally don't comment on Captcha but: Cool Heads Prevail. Maybe some good psychiatric advice from the captcha there?

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
When i first tried to take zolpidem for my sleep problems, i got completely weirded out, i thought there was some kind of slimy fuzzy skin all over my keyboard and the computer screen seemed to dissolve into three dimensional layers
Then i ate an entire bowl of popcorn which i promptly threw up on the carpet

Another time, i took it, and then lost conciousness and later i find a strange video on my phone of me videoing the computer screen which displayed the absurdly broken eve online character creator for like five minutes with the camera going up and forward and side to side and spinning around
I have no idea what i did that night, but my second, unopened box of zolpidem was completely gone when i woke up
I could not even find it in the thrash

Dangerous crap, that medicine, yet so hilarious

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
DrRockor said:
I've had weird dreams from a fever but then I have weird dreams anyway..
OH GOD.

That reminded me of that time when I had a sickness and while I slept I dreamed of becoming a mutant and forever suffering. When I check the time it had felt like years but it was only minutes after I had gone to bed...

Creepy shit.

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
Salad Is Murder said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Anyone experienced anything like this?
No, and I'm guessing neither have you.

DoomyMcDoom said:
Dude, life is a hallucination of sorts, after all everything you observe is just what your brain interprets your occular input as, which means what you might see as red could be what someone else calls turquoise, but since turquoise looks like something else to you, and they always called what you see as turquoise red, that you see that and identify it as red, but when someone else looks at it, it totally looks like a different colour, now apply that to EVERYTHING, now reassemble your brain.

Perspective is life.
This is also completely untrue.
Yeah, you've really convinced me there pal.
With all those arguments and stuff.

Well said.

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
KingHodor said:
I'd assume Ambien (Zolpidem), which is probably the most commonly prescribed sleep aid.
There is actually a game out there called the "Ambien challenge" in which you pop one or more pills, then try to stay awake in order to drift into a hallucinogenic dreamlike state.

Problem is that this stuff can be highly addictive, both psychologically and physically (it is chemically classified as a "non-benzodiazepine", meaning that despite its distinct structure it produces effects similar to the extremely habit-forming "benzos"), so my advice would be not to screw around with it.
the main reason i wont use it to help me sleep. Im afraid i would far too easily become relient on it. that coupled with the fact most sleeping pills cant be taken with my lithium.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
I used to have night terrors. Wake up with my heart racing in fear, unable to move while some indistinguishable but terrifying shape seemed to loom over me, eventually fading away and leaving me able to move. Haven't had that happen to me since I was around 20 or so, thankfully.

But yeah, OP, tell your doctor about these hallucinations. Hilarity aside, they could be a somewhat serious side effect and you might need the dosage tweaked downward.
Sounds like you have (had?) Old Hag Syndrome. A room mate of mine had the same issue, he'd often complain of waking up in the middle of the night, unable to move while he thought he saw some creepy old woman standing over him.

http://roohikhan.hubpages.com/hub/Do-you-have-Sleep-Paralysis-The-Old-Hag-Syndrome

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Despite my (admittedly lackluser) efforts I have never been able to hallucinate. The closest I ever became was taking magic truffles (utter rubbish) in Amsterdam and looking at an old mirror. The mirror was covered in cracks and I imagined it would be pretty if they flowed like water.

Whilst I was able to have what might be described as an involved day dream, I certainly didn't see any flowing mirror.

I tend to take other people's stories about hallucinations with a pinch of salt.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Few years ago when I had a high fever I saw tanks and other units from Advance wars crawling up and down the wall.
And quite often, when I have just woken up, I'm still partly dreaming. Once I saw snow falling under my desk, and other time I thought there was dark outside, even though it was sunny. But these don't last more than few seconds before I fully wake up.

But the most common hallucination (and a childhood nightmare) I have is a huge boulder crashing towards me. I only get it when I'm feverish.

But my brain has the tendency to kinda break down when I'm under stress so that I don't see things as they are, but as broken down to ther components.
It's difficult to explain, because even when I get like that I know it doesn't make sense.

If I for example look at stairs, I don't see them as stairs, I see them as steps that don't form a whole. Or looking at a human and seeing a mouth, a chin, eyes, arms etc, but not a human. Sure, I know there is a human, and can usually fake my way out of the situation, but if there's be more than one person, then I probably couldn't.

It's not a huge problem, because I've learned to deal with it, and usually stop it before it fully comes, though.

Syzygy23 said:
Sounds like you have (had?) Old Hag Syndrome. A room mate of mine had the same issue, he'd often complain of waking up in the middle of the night, unable to move while he thought he saw some creepy old woman standing over him.

http://roohikhan.hubpages.com/hub/Do-you-have-Sleep-Paralysis-The-Old-Hag-Syndrome
That's creepy. I get sleep paralysis every once in a while, but since I'm used to it, and it doesn't feel threatening, I usually feel restful, and can drift back to sleep.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Esotera said:
Kargathia said:
As long as he sticks with hallucinating superheroes on an idle loop then he might as well stay on them.
Sorry but that's terrible advice...this clearly isn't something that OP was expecting of the medication, and a lot of sleeping pills can have the side effect of triggering psychosis. While the hallucinations themselves are most likely harmless it wouldn't be something most people would want on a permanent basis, so OP should be talking with a doctor about the side effects.
Wait a second... were you actually expecting me to give responsible, and medically sound advice?
Really, if the guy takes advice from nameless people on the internet, then I'd say he's got a bigger problem than having hallucinogens as meds.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Kendarik said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
So I've been given some medication for a minor sleep disorder, and a listed side effect is that I have begun hallucinating. VIVIDLY.
You need to see your doctor, NOW.
Um, I did, that's how I got the medication. He warned me about it, I thought I...
Ooop, no I didn't make that clear, sorry

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
You should read Critical Miss. You might identify with the main character.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Angelblaze said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
So I've been given some medication for a minor sleep disorder, and a listed side effect is that I have begun hallucinating. VIVIDLY.

To give you an example of what I'm talking about, I'm currently sitting opposite black suit spiderman, hanging from the ceiling. I've written down the recurring ones, Black suit spidey, batman and robin, green lantern and commander shepard. Each of them are stuck on a loop of some description. Spidey hangs on a web, gently swaying, batman and robin have some unclear dialogue they repeat, green lantern appears, makes a cup of coffe, and leaves, and commander shepard stands in the middle of the room dancing. Yeah...My psyche is clearly very weird.

Not just them, though. Celebrities, animals, videogame characters, inanimate objects. It's weirding me out. Earlier I thought I saw a cup that I had been looking for, and it turned out to not be there. It's weirding me out.

Anyone experienced anything like this?
A...Are you Erin from Critical Mass with a minor upgrade?

And no. But drugs do that to you.

Cocaine is a hellova drug.

However, in your own defense I've had weird dreams involving video game characters too. Everything from Samus Aran to the Brute from Amnesia:DD. I prefer the former rather then the latter though.

I do remember one specfic dream I had where spiderman and I went to a coffee shop and, interestingly enough, talked about politics, the weather and other things. They were all things that I agreed with so maybe my mind was superimposing me onto Spiderman (at the time, I was playing Spiderman 2 the video game ALL THE TIME when I wasn't sleeping) and trying to show me my own beliefs, shown through something I had taken a fondness for.
Perhaps to prove to me that my beliefs weren't bad or flawed but were still imperfect or slightly shambled.(Spiderman couldn't get his life together remember? lol)
I'm Not Erin, I'm Rick James *****.
Also I'm having far less severe ones, they are pretty distinguishable from reality (Most of the time) cuz they look like they're cgi'd or something.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
That's crazy. Didn't know medication could produce such detailed hallucinations. Next think you know you'll be breaking in to your friend's house in the middle of the night to smash their Xbox, then later on finding yourself hanging out of a window of a tall building being by someone who you only met the night before.

EIDT: I'm so original...

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Salad Is Murder said:
Alternative said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Spidey hangs on a web, gently swaying, batman and robin have some unclear dialogue they repeat, green lantern appears, makes a cup of coffe, and leaves, and commander shepard stands in the middle of the room dancing.
Oh god i feel sorry for you, i cant imagine how horrible that would be. i mean Commander Shepard is a horrible dancer
False: The Shepard Shuffle is a tried and true, get down and boogie wit'cho bad self dance move. Only the Running Man is more beautiful in its execution and grace.
And you say I'm a liar?
You sir, just pooped on you own argument.
I shall now join Shepard for a celebratory Helicopter dance.
Good day sir.