So I've been prescribed medication, and I don't want to take it

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Hi all, having a bit of internal conflict here, I don't even know why I'm posting this here, but...I don't know...I guess it just felt like it might help.

Anyway, last week (6 days ago) I went to see a mental health professional, and I was prescribed a drug called Sertraline, designed to treat depression and anxiety (more anxiety than depression in my case apparently) I was prompted to see someone towards the end of September.

See, I've just started a postgrad university course (part-time, because fuck full-time,) now, I don't enjoy living at home, for no other reason that my hometown is boring as shit, and I don't have many local friends to speak of, so I was looking forward to coming back, but a couple of red flags went up, firstly, even though I knew it was what I wanted, I couldn't even bring myself to apply for the course until...WAY later than I should've, honestly thought it was too late (they accepted my application within two hours of my having sent it, which, not gonna lie, felt pretty good to know.) said application was only about 300 words long, but still took me all night to write for some reason, and I had to force myself to actually send it. Then, the night before I was supposed to go back, I was up all night in a sustained panic and all I could think was "I don't want to do this" and all I wanted to do was nothing. That was the thing that finally made me think "Okay, maybe there's actually something wrong."

The last minute application was par for the course for me as I'm a terrible procrastinator (I'm pretty sure that's true of most students, at least the ones I know.)

See, the doctor I saw was pretty vague about what this medication would actually do, other than I'd feel nauseous for the first few days, so I waited until after my lectures that week to start...then I didn't want to take them, so I waited till today, now, I know I should, but I'm honestly not sure I feel bad enough for it to be worth the apparent initial side effects. Especially since I have no idea what the long-term effects will be. I am however acutely aware, that of the two of us in the room that day, only one of us was a mental health professional, and spoiler alert, it wasn't me.

I've heard a lot of stories about things like emotional blunting, or just feeling worse on medication like this, and I don't really want to risk it, but I know I should because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't prescribe me for no reason.

As I say, I'm not even sure why I'm posting this,
TL:DR I don't want to take the medication I've been prescribed for anxiety, I feel really anxious about taking it...

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Afraid I don't have any first hand experience of this sort of thing, only second hand from when friends have gone through similar ordeals. But the take home message from them has always been that the medication was a massive improvement. most of the bad stories you hear tend to be due to the wrong medication, rather than 'medication not working' in the absolute sense. Which is an unfortunate thing with mental issues, it can take several tries to get the right treatment.

Best advice, you went and got the pills, so you clearly know there's an issue that needs to be addressed. So try them, and if they don't work, you feel worse, etc., go back to the doctor and see what they say, maybe try a different treatment. If you're worried about Uni work, there's normally a support service you can contact and inform about this sort of thing, and they're usually pretty understanding.

Thus ends the opinion of this anonymous internet used.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
You can always go back to the doctor to address your concerns. Or go see another doctor for a different opinion. It's part of their job to help patients feel reassured and as informed as someone lacking a medical background can.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The long and the short of it is that if it's been prescribed, it's been checked out for your use by a doctor, meaning that it should be safe. You can only be sure it's problematic after you take a dose and don't like the side effects.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
I've been prescribed sertraline in the past (albeit for depression, not anxiety). It did make me a bit nauseous for the first few days, but it was not too bad. As far as its actual effects go... if I'm being perfectly honest, I didn't really notice any, but people around me kept telling me I looked much better, so I guess that's on me.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, in my experience, it's really nothing to be nervous about.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Hmmm. My last boyfriend was on Sertraline. It seemed to work for a while but then it just made him worse. I kept telling him to change the brand he was on because he was just having constant breakdowns. The he took himself off them completely, rather than ween himself off them like you're supposed to. I assume that's what made him dump me for some child 100s of miles away from him. He's completely and utterly lost his marbles and still seems to be going through a complete mental breakdown. I've heard a few other people have bad experiences on them but I suppose everyone is different. And I think that he's got either bioplar or a personality disorder which Sertraline won't help with.
I'd say take them, they take about 2 weeks to get into your system. If you feel a difference then great. If you feel worse/no better get the doctors to put you on something else. I had to change my brad too, it's trial and error I guess. Best of luck to you!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well, speaking as someone with a brother who has been diagnosed bipolar, depressive, and schizophrenic at one time or another in his life, I can give you almost first hand experience with how he handled, or more accurately mishandled his medications.

He never thought anything was wrong with him. He would be forced to take the medications by law, because he was committed to a facility for breaking laws and generally acting crazy. When he would be on the meds, he would feel better, almost back to normal, and then "he was cured", and he would stop taking the meds. Why should he right? He wasn't feeling bad anymore, why keep taking the meds?

He couldn't grasp that the meds were why he was feeling better. It took about 30 years of mental therapy and strict, legal regulations, to keep him on meds long enough to actually let it sink into his brain that he needed to take them.

From the summary of your previous actions, it definitely sounds like you have some mental issues, and that you acknowledge it, otherwise you wouldn't have gone to the doctor for help. Now that you've been given that help, you don't want to take it.

So I have a few questions.

Do you really not want to take the meds, because of the possible (but not certain) side effects? Or is it because you, like many people, are mistaking the symptoms of your disorder for a normal reaction, and thus think that you shouldn't take the meds? Or is it the social stigma of having to take meds, and thus admitting that there is something "wrong" with you?

Because from what you said, it doesn't feel like it's simply "I don't want to feel sick for a few days" is really the culprit here.

Now, to be fair, some of the drugs for mental stability can have some unpleasant side effects. My brother was unlucky enough to get many of them for most of the pharmacy of drugs they tried on him. So it might not be that that particular medication is right for you.

Talk to your doctor. Explain your concerns, and ask questions, and then decide. But I would ask myself, if you didn't think there was something wrong with how you were processing situations, and found that you didn't LIKE that way of processing things, why did you seek the help in the first place? There's nothing wrong with having an issue that requires medication, but I do think there is something wrong with thinking you have a problem, and then refusing to even attempt to take the treatments that might help with the issue.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
You have some options:
1) Trust your doctor and take it

2) Go back for more information, and try to get a better feel for the situation

3) Try a different approach to health, ie. going to the gym (proven to help with depression and anxiety), and looking at eating healthier (Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food - Hippocrates), meditation, etc.

4) Do none of the above, and probably not get any better

Oly J said:
snipzimus

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Do you really not want to take the meds, because of the possible (but not certain) side effects? Or is it because you, like many people, are mistaking the symptoms of your disorder for a normal reaction, and thus think that you shouldn't take the meds? Or is it the social stigma of having to take meds, and thus admitting that there is something "wrong" with you?
I think it's a combination of the first two, in all honesty, (I'm already physically disabled, there being something "wrong" with me is nothing new) but the main symptoms, so far as I can see is an almost complete lack of motivation, which makes me feel guilty, which if anything is a paralytic, I have not had an assignment at uni that I did not end up rushing at the last minute because I couldn't make myself get it done sooner, (still managed a 2:1, so if there is an unmedicated issue there that's at least something to brag about.) and if there is something "wrong" I would indeed be the last to know, also logically, I guess being too anxious to take anxiety medication is a pretty clear sign, I have another appointment in 2 weeks, I'll start taking them tomorrow, if nothing else so that I can have something to report. I have friends that are on medication, one that is on the same medication, and their reactions have been universally to take it. I guess the writing is on the wall there, isn't it?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Ummm...

So you got prescripted medication against anxiety and you didn't take them more or less becaus of that anxiety and you didn't talk about that to your doctor about that probably for the same reason instead preferring anonymous internet advice ?

Yes, you might have a problem here. Good that you recognized it and trying them out and going to another appointment is the right thing to do. Just don't try to hide the fact that you dind't take them when you were supposed to.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I know someone who was on things like that for a bit. She kept putting them off at first too with things like not wanting the nausea during work and then other things[footnote]I wont say what as to not give you ideas[/footnote] until I eventually said I'd watch her take them in the morning. It was a struggle at first as she kept trying to put it off even with me there but eventually it started just being a normal routine. After two weeks of nausea side effects she stopped thinking her house was collapsing and there was an obvious improvement.

The problem was that she had to go through a couple of different tablets, each time returning to the doctor to try something else until she found something that worked, so if these tablets don't work for you I'd advise going back to your doctor and see they recommend something else.

Short version: take the tablets and talk to your doctor if you don't see improvement. Maybe see if friends can ensure you take them if you're having problems with that.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Oly J said:
Hi all, having a bit of internal conflict here, I don't even know why I'm posting this here, but...I don't know...I guess it just felt like it might help.
Alright, so...my girlfriend of 13 years works in the mental health industry (and has been a client of that same industry, along with her father). So I've had a big of a front row seat to how mental health is diagnosed and treated (in NA at least), and if there was one universal truth it's that pharmaceutical intervention is often reached for earlier than it needs to be. MDs in particular will look to pills first, as they're not really equipped to be psychiatrists (any more than they're equipped to be nutritionists, but that's a subject for another thread).

That does not mean there is not a time and place for anti-depressants. There absolutely is. Some people cannot function without them. For some, they are a savior. For others, they are a helpful push that gets them going when nothing else would. Are they the right choice/necessary in your situation? Hard to say. Is getting on an anti-depressant a serious undertaking that should be discussed at length with an informed and informative mental health professional? YEP. The side effects are not a joke, and they can be a serious pain in the ass to wean off. Additionally, anti-depressants are not "one size fits all". It can take a lot of time and effort to find one that works well for a particular individual.

So if you genuinely feel that you're in a simple situational malaise, and that you're not neck deep in clinical depression, then you are absolutely correct to question whether or not an anti-depressant is necessary. Which does not mean NOTHING is necessary. The alternative is to do what should always be the first line of defense for people who are struggling with mood issues. Exercise regularly, eat properly, and get plenty of restful sleep. If all that doesn't work, there's also talk therapy, which should also be looked to before starting a medicinal regimen if it's available/can be afforded. And in your case, find something social, productive or creative you can do with your time. Don't hang around moping. It's extremely common for people in their late teens/early 20's to have a walloping bout of clinical depression as a result of life changes...it's basically a second puberty and adulthood can be a real slap in the face...so debilitating moodiness should be taken seriously. You just don't necessarily need to medicate it.

Additionally, make sure you HAVE THIS CONVERSATION WITH YOUR DOCTOR. I am just a dude on a forum, however informed. Even if I'm telling you something you want to hear re: the meds, make sure you discuss it with the person who actually prescribed them for you. Bring up your concern about side effects, both short term and long. Ask about half life and how long it will take for the meds to clear your system and what possible withdrawl symptoms you might experience. Ask about non-pharmaceutical steps like the ones listed above and whether or not they might be a preferable first step before reaching for pills. Etc. Don't just ignore your doctor because I said doctors prescribe pills too easily. That's irresponsible.

And whatever you do, don't ever let ANY doctor prescribe you a benzodiazepine or similar effect drug for "anxiety". It happens all the time, the pills rapidly lose efficacy, and they cause heightened anxiety as a blowback symptom. They're a nightmare to come off and can be as addictive as heroin. If a doctor even SUGGESTS one to you for anything other than extremely short term use, consider changing doctors.

PS - Here's the reviews for Sertaline: https://www.drugs.com/comments/sertraline/for-depression.html

I know it better as "Zoloft". It's been around a long time. It's a standard anti-depressant, and not a benzo (thank God).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oly J said:
Happyninja42 said:
I think it's a combination of the first two, in all honesty, (I'm already physically disabled, there being something "wrong" with me is nothing new) but the main symptoms, so far as I can see is an almost complete lack of motivation, which makes me feel guilty, which if anything is a paralytic, I have not had an assignment at uni that I did not end up rushing at the last minute because I couldn't make myself get it done sooner, (still managed a 2:1, so if there is an unmedicated issue there that's at least something to brag about.) and if there is something "wrong" I would indeed be the last to know, also logically, I guess being too anxious to take anxiety medication is a pretty clear sign, I have another appointment in 2 weeks, I'll start taking them tomorrow, if nothing else so that I can have something to report. I have friends that are on medication, one that is on the same medication, and their reactions have been universally to take it. I guess the writing is on the wall there, isn't it?
I would say it's on the wall yes, or at least worth a try. I mean, really the side effects (if you even have them, some don't) aren't that bad, and you can make plans for the effects. And it's worth trying, because if it does show improvement in your overall mood, great. And if not, well, you can just stop taking the medication, call the doctor and say the stuff isn't working well, and can you try something else. You don't have to take the doctor's word as gospel, but you shouldn't ignore it entirely either. There is nothing unusual about asking for a second opinion, questioning whether the particular medication you are given is the right one, and other stuff like that. Your sessions with your doctor should be a conversation not a lecture where the doctor speaks, and you just nod and obey. It's your brain, it's your body, you have a say in how it is treated.

But yeah, try the meds, they will most likely work, and you will see signs of improvement, which is why you went to the doctor in the first place. You wanted to not feel the way you are currently feeling anymore. The drugs may help. And if they don't, don't give up on the process, just go back to the doc and say "we need to try something else, this isn't working well, or the side effects are too harsh".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
And whatever you do, don't ever let ANY doctor prescribe you a benzodiazepine or similar effect drug for "anxiety". It happens all the time, the pills rapidly lose efficacy, and they cause heightened anxiety as a blowback symptom. They're a nightmare to come off and can be as addictive as heroin. If a doctor even SUGGESTS one to you for anything other than extremely short term use, consider changing doctors.

PS - Here's the reviews for Sertaline: https://www.drugs.com/comments/sertraline/for-depression.html

I know it better as "Zoloft". It's been around a long time. It's a standard anti-depressant, and not a benzo (thank God).
Care to elaborate on this? I had been in the OP's situation, though I just chose to stop taking the pills. It was awhile ago, but benzodiazepine sounds really familiar.

I have been watching this thread, considering my own situation, and while maybe Im just looking for personal vindication, Id really like to know if I made atleast one right choice. (Even if I should just use something else)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Saelune said:
Care to elaborate on this? I had been in the OP's situation, though I just chose to stop taking the pills. It was awhile ago, but benzodiazepine sounds really familiar.

I have been watching this thread, considering my own situation, and while maybe Im just looking for personal vindication, Id really like to know if I made atleast one right choice. (Even if I should just use something else)
So, the nasty thing about benzos is...

1. They're frequently prescribed for anxiety. Ativan is a benzo. Valium. Zopiclone isn't a benzo but it's even worse than a benzo. Lots of different names, similar interaction with the human body.
2. They're meant to be used for acute situations and then rapidly stopped, because you run into diminishing returns with them very quickly. More than a couple weeks and you're headed for trouble.
3. They're extremely addictive. Think heroin/nicotine addictive. Quitting them cold turkey can cause a rash of horrible effects, including seizures. The ones with a short half life are the worst. You have to taper off them over many months, sometimes YEARS.
4. The side effects of taking the drugs often include blowback symptoms that the drugs were prescribed to treat, including and especially anxiety. You can get prescribed 1 benzodiazepine a day for "feeling anxious" and in 10 years time you're taking 20 a day to hold back raging paranoia and suicidal ideation. The line between the original problem and the side effects of the medication you're taking to treat it becomes rapidly blurred, and you end up sick from the "medicine" that was supposed to be helping you.

My Mom took Ativan for PTSD after my Dad passed away suddenly, and she was fine, because she took it to manage an acute condition and stopped after a short period. But those drugs are really dangerous and should be viewed similarly to something like oxycontin in terms of risk to patient and potential for long term abuse. And they're not treated that way by the mental health system. We still have a pretty shit understanding of a lot of mental health conditions, ESPECIALLY anxiety, and tend to over-treat with meds rather than taking more holistic approaches as a first line of defense.

Now keeping in mind the thread we are posting in, it's important to note that the OP was NOT prescribed a benzodiazepine. But as he's seeing mental health professionals and complaining of anxiety, it's important he be forewarned in case one day he is.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Saelune said:

So, the nasty thing about benzos is...

1. They're frequently prescribed for anxiety. Ativan is a benzo. Valium. Zopiclone isn't a benzo but it's even worse than a benzo. Lots of different names, similar interaction with the human body.
2. They're meant to be used for acute situations and then rapidly stopped, because you run into diminishing returns with them very quickly. More than a couple weeks and you're headed for trouble.
3. They're extremely addictive. Think heroin/nicotine addictive. Quitting them cold turkey can cause a rash of horrible effects, including seizures. The ones with a short half life are the worst. You have to taper off them over many months, sometimes YEARS.
4. The side effects of taking the drugs often include blowback symptoms that the drugs were prescribed to treat, including and especially anxiety. You can get prescribed 1 benzodiazepine a day for "feeling anxious" and in 10 years time you're taking 20 a day to hold back raging paranoia and suicidal ideation. The line between the original problem and the side effects of the medication you're taking to treat it becomes rapidly blurred, and you end up sick from the "medicine" that was supposed to be helping you.

My Mom took Ativan for PTSD after my Dad passed away suddenly, and she was fine, because she took it to manage an acute condition and stopped after a short period. But those drugs are really dangerous and should be viewed similarly to something like oxycontin in terms of risk to patient and potential for long term abuse. And they're not treated that way by the mental health system. We still have a pretty shit understanding of a lot of mental health conditions, ESPECIALLY anxiety, and tend to over-treat with meds rather than taking more holistic approaches as a first line of defense.

Now keeping in mind the thread we are posting in, it's important to note that the OP was NOT prescribed a benzodiazepine. But as he's seeing mental health professionals and complaining of anxiety, it's important he be forewarned in case one day he is.
I would have privately messaged you, but in case anyone else was like me, quietly reading it, Id rather it be shown. I am pretty sure I personally was prescribed this medication, so I am glad to have avoided that mess, since it would not have been for less than 4 weeks. I am not against medical science as a whole, I just think alot of people involved in it forget the actual people who might suffer from poor medication choices. I am more cautious with medication for mental problems than physical. If I had cancer, or even just when I had a nasty stomach virus, I am far more willing to take medication, cause I am less worried it will trick my mind into a false sense of self.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Unfortinatly when it comes to medication like this, you can't really go on other peoples opinions. Even people who have taken the same thing before, since each person will have a different reaction to it. If you do notice feeling more depressed or something then talk to your doc quick. One of the ironic possible side effects of anti-depressants is they can cause bad depression in some people. Its really hard to know what your reaction will be till your on it for a bit.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
I've have plenty of experience with meds like that, and have been on 4 different ones. As for short term, for most people, the not pleasant side effect go away within two weeks. But this is not an exact science as not everyone will react the same. Which leads me to if it will work in the long run, and that basically boils down to "you won't know till you try". Like I said, I had tried 3 others before I got to one that worked really well. Sure the periods I was on the other ones sucked, but it was worth it in the end.

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
I just recently came off Sertraline (known to many as Zoloft) recently after a 2 month bout with it.

I've been on many medications for anxiety, and proportionally more anti-depressants than anything else (SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclics, everything but MAOIs).

For me, Sertraline did not work. It basically just amped up my anxiety. The side-effects were atrocious and the withdrawal... let's just say I'm still feeling it.

My experience was terrible, and after 15 different anti-depressants over the years, I'm going with what I know works or nothing at all. I'm not willing to be a guinea pig simply because someone's afraid of a criminal organization like the DEA breathing down their necks, or they feel self-righteous to the point of providing inadequate care.

BloatedGuppy said:
Up until this point, your post was sprinkled with good advice.

There's a reason why diazepam (Valium) is on the WHO's list of essential medicines: it works.

SSRIs (and most anti-depressants) take weeks to take effect, and the effect until then is unknown; they can help or they can completely backfire. Then they take weeks to months to fully get out of your system and potentially years to get you back to baseline should it be determined that they are not treating the issue.

Every idiot on the planet who thinks that anti-depressants don't have a similar withdrawal effect as benzos or opiates or whatever are ignorant to the highest order. Most anything that causes changes in neurotransmitters is going to have some sort of withdrawal effect once the medication is ceased.

Speaking from considerable experience, anti-depressants are far worse to come off of than benzos. The diazepam taper works fine when coming off of long-term benzo treatment. I've done it three times in 15 years.

I don't want to be on any long-term medication. I don't have any truly horrendous mental health issues, simply crippling anxiety and random panic attacks. A random benzo every now and then is a far easier and simpler choice than either trying to power through the constant anxiety or taking something that's trying to fuck with a main component of my brain for years.

However, OP, your mileage may vary.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Shraggler said:
Every idiot on the planet who thinks that anti-depressants don't have a similar withdrawal effect as benzos or opiates or whatever are ignorant to the highest order. Most anything that causes changes in neurotransmitters is going to have some sort of withdrawal effect once the medication is ceased.

Speaking from considerable experience, anti-depressants are far worse to come off of than benzos. The diazepam taper works fine when coming off of long-term benzo treatment. I've done it three times in 15 years.

I don't want to be on any long-term medication. I don't have any truly horrendous mental health issues, simply crippling anxiety and random panic attacks. A random benzo every now and then is a far easier and simpler choice than either trying to power through the constant anxiety or taking something that's trying to fuck with a main component of my brain for years.

However, OP, your mileage may vary.
The problem with benzodiazepines is it very rarely amounts to a case of "a random pill every now and then". They're known to be highly addictive, and they're known to suffer from diminishing returns and severe blowback symptoms.

While I don't disagree that ANY anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication comes with risks and caveats, I've never heard of nor known someone to start gobbling 5 or 10x their zoloft prescription to try and battle down the side effects zoloft is giving them. Yet this is practically rote in cases of benzo abuse.

YMMV, of course. My concern is with any doctor who tells a patient "take a valium a day to keep anxiety away!", not "a random pill every now and then". As I stated, they're fine when used as intended...for acute situations. As a daily maintenance drug they're a complete disaster.