So I've just bought a flightstick. What should I do next?

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
Plinglebob said:
The Madman said:
Freespace 2 is a must play. Not only possibly the best space-sim to date but also works really well with force feedback joystick and is an absolute joy to play.
This! You can get it for $10 at GOG.com, download the various hi-res mods people have made to make it prettier if you wish, and sink 20 odd hours into the best space sim ever.
Dear God please play Freespace 2. I'll also Echo that Descent 3 is pretty fun, and graphically not too hard on the eyes even after all these years.

I have not yet tried a flightstick on Mechwarrior Online, mostly because I need to get a new flightstick setup, and I'm waiting until they fully implement analog flightstick controls before I go out and buy a new one.

Oh, and cradle your joystick, and go look at STAR CITIZEN together while you gently stroke its buttons, murmering "soon" to it.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'd say the HAWX games are a good choice. Not too sim-y, but not super arcade either.

If you're a fan of Battlestar Galactica then there is a cool fan made game called <url=http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0>Diaspora that is a BSG space combat game where you play as a Viper (and sometimes Raptor) pilot. It's short, but it's fun and FREE!

EDIT: I almost forgot about SOL: Exodus. A great space combat game on Steam. It's well worth a try out.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Do NOT get Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. It's bad, so very bad.

For a hardcore combat flight simulator, I'd recommend Falcon 4: Allied Force.

The sheer complexity (instruction manual is digital, because it's +400 pages) will make your head spin.

Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (WWII) has a special place in my heart. Though it is from 1998, it still looks pleasing to the eye. And it's compatible with W7, as long as you get a special config file to fix a gamepad issue.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
UrinalDook said:
1)Get X-Wing Alliance... somehow (I'm pretty sure it's not on Steam or GoG).

2)Upgrade that sucka [http://xwaupgrade.com/], homeslice. So's your eyes don't bleed out.

3)???

4)Profit.
Damn straight.
TIE Avengers and E-Wing(b)s for life.

Also, good pick.
As much as I loved my (ancient) X45 yoke, you definitely want something that's lower maintenance or replaceable. I've repaired the trigger spring and rudder four times on mine in 12 years.

Not fun.

G32420NL

Jul 3, 2012
rhizhim said:
take on helicopters

and of course, h.a.w.x.
and perhaps Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

also:
I bought take on helicopters in the steam christmas sales because i hoped it whould be like simcopter from ye olden days, i was really dissapointed, while the missions whould be fun i just can't get the dahm game to perform in any kind of resonable framerate, now i know the arma II engine is no unreal 3 in terms of system requirements but it just looks at my GTX480 and laughs while it makes it impossible to do any kind of precision landings.

And in my opinion, if you are going to pick up h.a.w.x. make sure it is the first, the second one was the next dissapointment in my christmas sale :/

But as for nice games, Wings of prey is from the makers of IL2, nice flightmodel, pretty polished (more so then IL2 with all it's moshed together add-ons) only downside is that there aren't as many planes.

games like rc flightsim can be fun aswell, atleast relaxing :)

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
There is only one game I would love to play with a flight stick X3!
Takes time to get in to but when you are into it, it's fun.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
I came here thinking there was going to be talk of Sanwa bits and fighting games. Funny thing about head colds and reading.

OT: The only flight sim I've ever played is Chuck Yeager's sim from the early 90's, so I doubt that'd be very useful.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Tie Fighter Collector's Edition. The only game you will ever need. Includes awesome bad guy plot, DARTH VADER AS YOUR WINGMAN for a mission, and three of the coolest starfighters ever made, the Tie Avenger, the Tie Defender, and the Cygnus Starworks MISSILE BOAT.