So... Last of us.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
So, watched The Last of Us trailer.
I have to say, I'm hyped. The trailer looks freaking awesome. What do you guys think? (I know, I'm a bit late to the party... I think.)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I have a lot of thoughts:

1) I think, a lot like Uncharted, the game is going to receive undeserved critical acclaim.

2) It's going to start off with a lot of atmosphere but very likely lose said atmosphere within a few hours and turn more into just a regular, cover based, 3rd person shooter.

3) It's probably going to control a lot like Uncharted, which to me, isn't a good thing.

4) It's going to be an overly scripted and cutscene heavy experience.

5) I think the juxtaposition of giving Ellie firearms isn't particularly shocking at all.

6) Isn't the zombie apocalypse a little played out at this point?

You know how some movies, they call them "Oscar Bait"? Because they just ride that "Oscar" forumla? The Last of Us feel a lot like that to me, but for video games. They just want to get all those "best of show" awards and ride the hype train to the hills. It's just got all those elements. The "edgy" concept. The modern sort of box art. It's all so just... formulated, in my opinion. Calculated to just reel everyone in.

Finally, this game just reminds me that this console generation just won't fucking die. Can we please just let it end? Please?

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
AC10 said:
4) It's going to be an overly scripted and cutscene heavy experience.
They're denying the latter accusation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.382542-The-Last-of-Us-Wont-Rely-on-Cutscenes]

I haven't seen much to support that, though. Nearly everything we've seen of the game so far has been cinematics...

The gameplay sounds like it could be interesting. I didn't like Uncharted but I'm being cautiously optimistic. It looked mechanically similar to Uncharted at E3 but the "vibe" seemed very different. I hope the survival aspects are at the forefront instead of the shooting.

CAPTCHA: I fancy you.

And I'm very flattered.

Juan Cantu

Dec 30, 2011
Well after playing The Walking Dead I just hope the girl character is half as good as Clementine

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
There's some E3 gameplay footage that looks fucking incredible, look it up. I'm hopeful for this one.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Cautiously optimistic, but excited nonetheless. I already like the atmosphere, like the setting, love the characters. Naughty Dog could do a lot of interesting things with this title... or they could make another Uncharted-style game. It doesn't sound like they're doing that though. I first heard about The Last of Us on the E3 podcat and loved what I heard... they talked about the non-linearity and the intelligent AIs The Last of Us features. (Here's hoping that's what the actual game is like and not just Naughty Dog cherry-picking a few interesting bits.)

So I have really high hopes, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like it might deliver. I'll wait for reviews, but I have a feeling this is the game that'll get me to buy a PS3.

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
AC10 said:
But they aren't zombies. They have a fungal infection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgkL8PulPdE

False Nobility

Jul 29, 2012
Hmmmm....This has very cool vibe to it. A varied atmosphere, emphasis on character, and lots of emotion.

Looks cool, and subdued in a way. It's not all BOOM POW, LOOK AT THE EXPLOSION. I like.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm REALLY excited for this game.
I absolutely love Naughty Dog games and I'm *very* interested in what they do with their first M-rated title.
I remember seeing the E3 and I thought it was pretty cool, if a bit brutal. Not to say that it should be censored or something, I've just never seen a game where the violence was so... real.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Its a definitve buy for me....

I don't like uncharted but to have uncharted without mr shithead drake is very apealing...not to mention a (hopefully) compelling story

I am however avoiding anything related to it because I find serious post apocalyptic scenarios too depressing

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Eh, I don?t know.
Post apocalyptic setting with a gruff hardened survivor dude who lost everything (and likely had a daughter who died judging from the movie poster conversation) is forced to take care of young girl that reminds of the daughter he lost and ends up caring for her is a fairly standard set up. I bet he dies at the end too. Yes I know stories repeat but I'm getting sick of this one.

The monsters look like zombies by another name.

Gameplay sounds like it could be interesting but I'm not sold on it yet.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Vault101 said:
I don't like uncharted but to have uncharted without mr shithead drake is very apealing...not to mention a (hopefully) compelling story
Basically this.

Naughty Dog clearly know how to make really good games.

Sadly, they went and used that talent to make Indiana Jones Junior... With Attitude.[sup]TM[/sup]

The prospect of them making something with more heft and less irritating prick is a tempting one indeed. Better yet, I don't need to operate on prospects alone 'cause that 15min gameplay preview posted above is one supremely sexy sight.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I love how tangible and realistic everything seems. In the demos that were shown, every thing that happened had a sound, a perfectly synced up and high quality sound. Grunts when carrying a ladder, frantic breath struggles when somersaulting and fighting people, insanely high quality voice acting.

I'd be hyped, if I had a playstation!

Austin Manning

Apr 10, 2012
AC10 said:
Finally, this game just reminds me that this console generation just won't fucking die. Can we please just let it end? Please?
Why? I mean it's not that we really need higher rendering capabilities and it means high production costs, making games more difficult to develop. Also there's the whole "next-gen consoles will be super expensive" thing.

Austin Manning

Apr 10, 2012
That's some Jak II level stuff right there, and for those of you that played Jak II, you know that I don't make that comment lightly.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it will be Uncharted minus Indiana Jones, apparently some people prefer that.
Looks like quality all around as Naughty Dog tends to deliver, hopefully some day they come to PC so I'll actually buy something of theirs.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
I like Nathan Drake. He's great.

OT:

I'm definitely looking forward to this game. I don't think I'll buy it full price, though.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Balvale said:
AC10 said:
But they aren't zombies. They have a fungal infection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgkL8PulPdE
Given that the argument about their zombie status becomes entirely academic, the pattern of facts remain that they behave as zombies and serve the same function as zombies. Thus I can point to the old adage regarding walking and sounding like a duck being compelling evidence that the thing in question is a duck.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
It doesn't look like it's doing anything new.

Although it appears to be somewhat violent, check out 1:30 where they blew up that guy's legs. I wonder if we can do that with any other body parts.