So Mass Effect Andromeda...

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
BloatedGuppy said:
I could spend a day detailing all the many reasons I think the game was terrible, from story to tone to pacing to game play. I actually find it very difficult to single out things worthy of praise. The graphics are lovely, but feel rather static to me after Witcher 3 (and are plagued with technical issues). The voice acting was spot-on and the music was good. I'll give it that. I liked Solas.
I rather liked that they tried to explore themes like faith and hope. Like the part where the inquisition starts to sing together to boost morale. Too bad my qunari mage didn't really care about any of it.

I also really liked to judge your enemies. Unfortunately most of time it felt like your options were really limited.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
votemarvel said:
Jandau said:
ME3 was a good game up until the ending.
Was it a good game though?

The only parts you hear people praising are the Rannoch and Tuchanka missions, with maybe Thessia if you take Javik along for his comments.

For the rest of it though. I think the endings have blinded people to the comedy animations, eavesdropping side-quests, increase in passive conversions and times that Shepard speaks on their own (all to make the experience more cinematic). What about the ruined journal and that they somehow managed to make planet scanning even more boring than in Mass Effect 2. The role of ME2 characters reduced to almost inconsequential cameos. The pushing of the class balance even further in favour of the gun based classes.

My personal bugbear is that Shepard's background rates little more than a couple of throw away lines (one if you don't have the From Ashes DLC), why is my colonist Shepard so obsessed with Earth but can easily put her own homeworld out of mind. Why does my Butcher of Torfan give a damn about some child he knew for all of thirty seconds.

ME3 certainly isn't the 99% great game that people proclaim.

Edit: and I wouldn't want to forget how the game was obviously written for the people whose first experience into the Mass Effect universe was the final part of the trilogy. Nowhere was this more obvious than in the conversation with the Rachni Queen. The line referencing the first game is so obviously an afterthought by how badly it is added into the conversation.
Yes, it was a good game. Was it as good as ME2? Nope. But it wasn't bad by any means (ending aside for now). Made some changes to the gameplay, some for better, some for worse. But overall, it was fine. And that's my overall point - ME3 was fine, Andromeda will be fine. No more than that.

As for characters from ME2 being reduced to cameos and backgrounds not mattering that much, that's simply a compromise they had to make. Hell, of all the things I might object to in ME3, these are at the bottom of the list. Think about it for a minute - EVERY member of your squad could end up dead in ME2. Bioware had to make a game around that. Are you saying that they should have woven all those characters into the story intricately and deeply? And then made versions of every part of the story without them? Then versions for every possible combination of them being dead or alive? And then permutations based on your background, etc.? All fully voiced and with the same production values? Don't you think that's just a wee bit unreasonable?

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
That's an incredibly inaccurate comparison; an interactive entertainment medium is world's apart from a fixed linear alternative - books or films don't typically have optional content, but games have pretty much always had that (options are arguably one of the medium's defining traits).

RPG's in particular have long since had tiered content; main quest, side quests, and miscellaneous tasks. Different games approach that differently, funnily enough, but the principle remains of presenting content of varying importance and/or relevance, and it's down to personal preference as to how much the player engages with.
The overall story is usually pretty linear, though. The options are generally minor flavor variations. So it still reads like a book. But maybe at chapter 7 you can decide to read either Chapter 7a or 7b before moving on to Chapter 8.

As for "personal preference as to how much the player engages in," as I said, I am an OCD gamer, so there's really not much personal preference for me. If there is a quest in my log, I'm going to have to do it. If there is a marker on my map, I'm going to have to go there and see what's there. And if there are 300 of those, and they're all boring, I'm going to have to do them all even if the grind bores me to tears. The only other option for me is to quit the game and go play something else (like I did with Skyrim after a week).

This is the reason that massive open world games with too much filler content are a problem for me. But it wasn't a problem in any of the pre-DAI Bioware games, from Baldur's Gate to ME3. I just don't understand why Bioware felt the need to throw a 15-year tried and true RPG blueprint in the trash with DAI. And it's frustrating that they seem to be going in the same direction with MEA.

I have no problem with there being massive open world games like Skyrim. I know a lot of people love aimless sandbox exploration games like that. I just wish they would stay over there, and the traditionally more linear, story-driven games like Bioware has always produced would stay over here doing what they have always done best instead of trying to copy Skyrim.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Jandau said:
As for characters from ME2 being reduced to cameos and backgrounds not mattering that much, that's simply a compromise they had to make. Hell, of all the things I might object to in ME3, these are at the bottom of the list. Think about it for a minute - EVERY member of your squad could end up dead in ME2. Bioware had to make a game around that. Are you saying that they should have woven all those characters into the story intricately and deeply? And then made versions of every part of the story without them? Then versions for every possible combination of them being dead or alive? And then permutations based on your background, etc.? All fully voiced and with the same production values? Don't you think that's just a wee bit unreasonable?
I don't think it is unreasonable at all.

Again why do you think when talking about the story of the game people tend to only refer to two points, Rannoch and Tuchanka. Two points where characters being alive or dead (one of them could have been killed in ME1) make pretty significant differences to how the events of those story arcs feel.

Yes I confess to over exaggeration before because Legion and Mordin do affect the story arcs they feature in pretty significantly. And Bioware did hell of a job with the replacements too. Characters from ME2 and replacements woven intricately into the story. So yes Bioware can do it, they just didnt.

They made background specific missions in ME1, they may have been short but they were pretty damn good. Why was there not a short mission on Earth where you recruit Shepard's old gang. A mission to Mindoir to extract people Shepard knew during childhood. Hell it wouldn't have even required a mission for the spacer, just a call to Shepard's mother (who we talked to in ME1's spacer background mission) to discuss events up to that point.

It would have allowed for people to feel that the background of their Shepard mattered. In fact that's something I've felt through the times I've played ME3. The two previously mentioned story arcs aside, I never felt that who my Shepard was or what they did in the previous games mattered all that much.

The combat I try not to touch on so much because I far prefer the system of the original game, which just offered far more options in a scenario than the latter two games provided. That's not to say I didn't think it could have done with improvements, I would have liked to have seen them take into account with the dice roll where the enemy was hit instead of just going for centre mass. Oh and for grenades that could have multiple type options, which could be triggered when you wanted, instead of the bouncing balls they because which had such a massive delay they gave the enemies plenty of time to get away.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
votemarvel said:
Jandau said:
I don't think it is unreasonable at all.

Again why do you think when talking about the story of the game people tend to only refer to two points, Rannoch and Tuchanka. Two points where characters being alive or dead (one of them could have been killed in ME1) make pretty significant differences to how the events of those story arcs feel.

Yes I confess to over exaggeration before because Legion and Mordin do affect the story arcs they feature in pretty significantly. And Bioware did hell of a job with the replacements too. Characters from ME2 and replacements woven intricately into the story. So yes Bioware can do it, they just didnt.

They made background specific missions in ME1, they may have been short but they were pretty damn good. Why was there not a short mission on Earth where you recruit Shepard's old gang. A mission to Mindoir to extract people Shepard knew during childhood. Hell it wouldn't have even required a mission for the spacer, just a call to Shepard's mother (who we talked to in ME1's spacer background mission) to discuss events up to that point.

It would have allowed for people to feel that the background of their Shepard mattered. In fact that's something I've felt through the times I've played ME3. The two previously mentioned story arcs aside, I never felt that who my Shepard was or what they did in the previous games mattered all that much.

The combat I try not to touch on so much because I far prefer the system of the original game, which just offered far more options in a scenario than the latter two games provided. That's not to say I didn't think it could have done with improvements, I would have liked to have seen them take into account with the dice roll where the enemy was hit instead of just going for centre mass. Oh and for grenades that could have multiple type options, which could be triggered when you wanted, instead of the bouncing balls they because which had such a massive delay they gave the enemies plenty of time to get away.
I didn't say it's a bit unreasonable due to it being technically impossible. I said it because it's likely financially untenable. I'm sure the devs at Bioware, when planning ME3, sat down and hammered out all the ideas and what it would take to make it happen. And they saw that they can't make EVERYTHING. So they focused on a few areas that they found more significant. Rannoch was a resolution of a plotline that's been going on since the first game (Geth/Quarian conflict), and involved two very popular party members, Tali and Legion. Same with Tuchanka - the genophage was a major lore event, Wrex and Mordin are some of the most beloved characters in the series, it made sense to give more attention here.

On the other hand, do I give two shits about Jacob? Or Zaeed? Not really. I don't mind them having only small roles. I'd argue that Bioware went out of their way to include everyone, even if it was just a cameo.

Look, I understand what you're saying, but I honestly think this aspect of ME3 is the least of its problems and that they couldn't do much more in that regard in the timeframe/budget they were given.

Leviathan

Oct 13, 2016
I've completely lost interest in BioWare at this point, especially after DA:I and SWTOR. The marketplace for retro-style, choice-based CRPGs has expanded dramatically since Obsidian burst back onto the scene and Divinity Original Sin became a profitable franchise, so I don't have to slouch over to BioWare to get my fix anymore.

That being said, should Mass Effect Andromeda unexpectedly break the mold and be an awesome experience, then I'll give it a look.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Kerg3927 said:
The overall story is usually pretty linear, though. The options are generally minor flavor variations. So it still reads like a book. But maybe at chapter 7 you can decide to read either Chapter 7a or 7b before moving on to Chapter 8.
We weren't discussing story options, though - we were discussing gameplay options, in this case mostly collectathons and optional/inessential map areas.

As for "personal preference as to how much the player engages in," as I said, I am an OCD gamer, so there's really not much personal preference for me. If there is a quest in my log, I'm going to have to do it. If there is a marker on my map, I'm going to have to go there and see what's there. And if there are 300 of those, and they're all boring, I'm going to have to do them all even if the grind bores me to tears.
Every single shard you spent/wasted your time on, that's your conscious decision to find them via the occularum, then run to each map marker, and then rinse and repeat for each zone. You can't blame the game developer for how you choose to spend your time in their creation.

The only other option for me is to quit the game and go play something else (like I did with Skyrim after a week).
What put you off Skyrim?

I just don't understand why Bioware felt the need to throw a 15-year tried and true RPG blueprint in the trash with DAI. And it's frustrating that they seem to be going in the same direction with MEA.
I'd say iterating on a very old blueprint is an incredibly good idea - everything stagnates eventually. I think many agree DA:I was in many ways a pretty shitty form of iteration, though, unless just creating gorgeous looking and sounding zones was their real goal, of course... (I still don't understand why the critical reception to DA:I was so positive. one of the best and most critical reviews came from Kill Screen [https://killscreen.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-all-business], and as ever with that site it looked beneath the superficial to question design choices and their consequences)

How can you say anything about ME:A's direction, though? What, exactly (ergo ignoring all PR blithering), do we really know about the core gameplay right now? I'm not trying to suggest it'll be a return to earlier forms of design, but we certainly don't know if it'll be as--- well, banal and almost paradoxically empty as DA:I with regards to scale and use of world space.

I have no problem with there being massive open world games like Skyrim. I know a lot of people love aimless sandbox exploration games like that. I just wish they would stay over there, and the traditionally more linear, story-driven games like Bioware has always produced would stay over here doing what they have always done best instead of trying to copy Skyrim.
Before release I was worried it had copied Skyrim, given that was a game they actually mentioned as having looked at. But it has little to no real correlation to Skyrim; SP MMO rather sums it up in terms of core design (see also: the overly critical overreaction to DAII as a defining factor).

Hoping games don't inspire or affect other games is surely naive, though. Genres bleeding into one another is pretty much an inevitable consequence of how art/entertainment works, else we'd be stuck with labels and boxes and no cross pollination of ideas or influence.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
What put you off Skyrim?
When I play an RPG, I like to be a part of an exciting story. I control the character and steer him through the story as it unfolds.

In Skyrim, I never found the story. It was a hiking simulator.

Leviathan

Oct 13, 2016
Kerg3927 said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
What put you off Skyrim?
When I play an RPG, I like to be a part of an exciting story. I control the character and steer him through the story as it unfolds.

Ha ha, same here. There wasn't much to engage me in the overarching story - neither the Civil War nor the Dragon storylines were particularly interesting. BioWare usually has a pretty strong main story, even if the elements that tie it all together have some... weaknesses.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Kerg3927 said:

Hm, well despite believing Bethesda rather suck at writing (see also voice acting, direction, quest building, core mechanics, etc... ), ostensibly TES is still a 'true' role-player; if you just went looking for a story to follow, then it sounds like you didn't use TES as a canvas on which to craft your own.

I'm not saying that's better or worse than anything, btw, just different - horses for courses. ME:A certainly won't be a true role-player, just as the trilogy wasn't. I'd rather BioWare commit to a fully defined narrative and character, as opposed to the halfway house that Shepard - as iconic and popular as she was - represented.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
How can you say anything about ME:A's direction, though? What, exactly (ergo ignoring all PR blithering), do we really know about the core gameplay right now? I'm not trying to suggest it'll be a return to earlier forms of design, but we certainly don't know if it'll be as--- well, banal and almost paradoxically empty as DA:I with regards to scale and use of world space.
I'm just speculating based upon what we saw in DAI and yes, based upon the "PR blithering." The blithering we're hearing now (bragging about how massive and huge it's going to be)... sounds exactly like what we heard before DAI came out.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/mass_effect_andromeda/b/playstation4/archive/2016/06/13/mass-effect-andromeda-will-feature-a-huge-open-world.aspx

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
Kerg3927 said:

Hm, well despite believing Bethesda rather suck at writing (see also voice acting, direction, quest building, core mechanics, etc... ), ostensibly TES is still a 'true' role-player; if you just went looking for a story to follow, then it sounds like you didn't use TES as a canvas on which to craft your own.

I'm not saying that's better or worse than anything, btw, just different - horses for courses. ME:A certainly won't be a true role-player, just as the trilogy wasn't. I'd rather BioWare commit to a fully defined narrative and character, as opposed to the halfway house that Shepard - as iconic and popular as she was - represented.
I don't want to have to craft my own story. That's what writers are for.

Which is why I don't like sandbox games like Skyrim, and why I don't want all that gritty sand creeping into my story-driven Bioware games.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Kerg3927 said:
I'm just speculating based upon what we saw in DAI and yes, based upon the "PR blithering." The blithering we're hearing now (bragging about how massive and huge it's going to be)... sounds exactly like what we heard before DAI came out.
That, in itself, isn't exactly much to go on, is it? Not many game companies hype their IP's by banging on about how small their game and/or gameworld is. 'It's going to be big' is about as revealing as 'It's going to be awesome!'.

...plus, as an Elite player the notion that ME:A's galaxy will be 'big' and truly encompass exploration is kinda quaint. ED's galaxy map makes Shepard's look like a phone app.

So far, DA's haven't really anticipated changes in ME - it's generally been the other way around (I ended up loving DAII, but it kinda was Dragon Age: Mass Effect Edition considering just how it changed from DA:O). Given this is a different BioWare than that which began and finished the ME trilogy, that could change, sure, particularly given the [oddly] positive critical reception to DA:I as well as its sales performance.

I don't want to have to craft my own story. That's what writers are for.
Or, y'know, role-playing games.

Jan 19, 2016
Darth Rosenberg said:
So far, DA's haven't really anticipated changes in ME - it's generally been the other way around (I ended up loving DAII, but it kinda was Dragon Age: Mass Effect Edition considering just how it changed from DA:O). Given this is a different BioWare than that which began and finished the ME trilogy, that could change, sure, particularly given the [oddly] positive critical reception to DA:I as well as its sales performance.
How well did Inquisition really sell? I never really saw EA crowing about it (only some lukewarm "better than projected" weasel words, which means nothing), and they have been radio silent thus far on even confirming if DA4 is even a thing at this point. Just based on the way EA and Bioware have talked post launch, I get the impression that it didn't do the kind of sales they were aiming for (some of their comments during the production of DAI seem to suggest that had deluded notions of Skyrim-esque numbers). At this point I'm not 100% convinced that there is even going to be a DA4.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:

Eh, the Original Mass Effects were true Role Players. You don't have to make your own story for it to be a role playing game. If you did, D&D isn't a Role Playing game because the DM is there forcing events that push you through a campaign, and honestly D&D is essentially the game that spawned the whole RPG genre way back when. Let alone games like KotOR, Planescape Torment, Pillars of Eternity - basically anything but Bethesda branded Sandboxes. And Bethesda doesn't have a monopoly on "True Role players", and "True Role Players" existed before Bethesda styled games did. So Imma call a no-true-scottsman on this one.

You assume a role. There are more expression based RPGs like Skyrim where you create the role you are assuming. There are more story driven RPGs like Mass Effect where the role you are assuming is given to you. Both are equally as valid role playing experiences, its just which role you're playing that gets changed. To be honest, I found Mass Effect better for Role Playing overall, as I could actually change the world, while in Skyrim the world always remained the exact same. The role I played was reflected in the world, as opposed to ignored.

OT: Andromeda, couldn't care less about. Its a cash in, that's all. Mass Effect was Shepard's story, they blew it, and I've got no interest left in the franchise now. If its holy shitballz amazing and comes out to the best reviews, and a few months later those reviews are all still glowing - I'll consider it. I highly doubt that'll happen though. Bioware are, at this point, a sinking ship. They haven't made a truly great game in a long time, yet that's what everyone expects of them because that's what they did. Honestly, they should cut back the budget, and re-focus on the more old school experiences people loved them for. Of course, the people who made those games are no longer at Bioware, and EA couldn't possibly settle for successful niche products when there's industry trends to try and fail at chasing. At this point I'm just hoping the ex-Bioware writers make their own studio, and do another old fashioned game like the company used to. Those were the days.

Bilious Green said:
How well did Inquisition really sell? I never really saw EA crowing about it (only some lukewarm "better than projected" weasel words, which means nothing), and they have been radio silent thus far on even confirming if DA4 is even a thing at this point. Just based on the way EA and Bioware have talked post launch, I get the impression that it didn't do the kind of sales they were aiming for (some of their comments during the production of DAI seem to suggest that had deluded notions of Skyrim-esque numbers). At this point I'm not 100% convinced that there is even going to be a DA4.
Honestly, I think they would have been happy... Had Witcher 3 not come out a month later and blown it completely out of the water. DA:I was originally THE game that blended open world and story pretty well, even though it used a pseudo open world to do so. Then Witcher 3 came along, and did it better, so shortly after release. They honestly timed that really, really badly.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Joccaren said:
Eh, the Original Mass Effects were true Role Players. You don't have to make your own story for it to be a role playing game. If you did, D&D isn't a Role Playing game because the DM is there forcing events that push you through a campaign, and honestly D&D is essentially the game that spawned the whole RPG genre way back when. Let alone games like KotOR, Planescape Torment, Pillars of Eternity - basically anything but Bethesda branded Sandboxes. And Bethesda doesn't have a monopoly on "True Role players", and "True Role Players" existed before Bethesda styled games did.
Bethesda have a monopoly on open-world RPG's (though, ironically, I tend to call Fallout 4 an anti-RPG... ), which is personally my ideal expression of a bare bones role-player given the greater sense of identification/immersion in a created character's POV and sense of freedom (of space/movement, of pacing, of choice regarding whether a faction or questline even needs to be continued, of self-defined goals independent of any conventional narrative structure, etc).

And no, I disagree; Mass Effect was - and probably still will be - a narrative driven variously middling 3rdP shooter with light RPG elements.

Yes, it pretty much all goes back to D&D and other tabletop gaming, and that quality of creating a role and playing it is almost entirely absent in Mass Effect, or most supposed RPG's, frankly. At best, Shepard was a single 'character' with optional action class types, nothing more. I hate to sound like a stuck record, but Shepard wasn't a defined character, nor the player's own creation - they fell between those two stools and, I believe, suffered for it. In the cinematics she's the writers - fairly bland, if still charismatic and admirably assertive - 'character', often reacting without any prompting whatsoever (that character barely ever segued with the role I'd been trying to express). The cutscene ends? And the avatar is handed over to the puppet master player, to nudge them around the world until the game takes the reigns again.

I found the series to be peculiarly schizoid, never committing to being an actual RPG, yet never having the guts to just fully flesh out Shepard and tell a conventional character narrative (given the 'cinematic' presentation and voice acting, I'd have preferred the latter path).

...is discussing semantics particularly useful to anyone or anything? Not in the slightest, and despite their fundamental differences TES and ME represent populist gaming ergo more or less inhabit the same cultural space. It just personally riles me a little that something like ME is so heavily associated with the acronym.

Nothing suggests ME:A will be any different, either, though I wouldn't mind being surprised if they go with a far more defined and linear character narrative, as opposed to pay lip service to the notion that the player has any real say in creating a role as opposed to picking a class and what amounts to a variously mentally unstable, mood-swing-prone temperament... (i.e. Paragon or Renegade)

OT: Andromeda, couldn't care less about. Its a cash in, that's all. Mass Effect was Shepard's story, they blew it, and I've got no interest left in the franchise now.
Why is it a "cash in"? It's a game in a [big] business - surely everything is a literal cash in. And can't fictional worlds tell more than one story?

Bilious Green said:
EA did, in fact, bang on about it being "by far the most successful launch in BioWare's history, exceeding our expectations" said EA CFO Blake Jorgensen during the investor call. The outperformance is based on game unit sales - that's from MCVUK.

Jarret Lee - director of marketing at BioWare - said this in December 2014, on their forums; Hi guys - obviously it's a drag not to see DAI on that top 10 list for November. I can't really give any figures of course...However, from what I know about the sales numbers (a) DAI is doing great and well ahead of it's predecessors, and a significant percentage of sales of DAI are digital and not tracked by NPD. If anything, I'm more worried about the weird signals this chart sends to the market about DAI, as opposed to the reality of our unit sales :).

DAII was, unfairly in my view, heavily criticised and didn't do great numbers, but it still got a massively budgeted sequel. Given DA:I's performance - commercial as well as [somewhat bizarrely... ] critical - I don't see how it wouldn't get a follow-up.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
I hope it doesn't focus too much on "Building" things like Fallout 4 did. I remember there being an emphasis on building colonies on planets you explore and I don't want that to be a HUGE focus.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Bethesda have a monopoly on open-world RPG's (though, ironically, I tend to call Fallout 4 an anti-RPG... ), which is personally my ideal expression of a bare bones role-player given the greater sense of identification/immersion in a created character's POV and sense of freedom (of space/movement, of pacing, of choice regarding whether a faction or questline even needs to be continued, of self-defined goals independent of any conventional narrative structure, etc).
Not quite, other open world RPGs do exist [E.G: Witcher 3], however Bethesda are the most well known in the genre in general.

What you describe also isn't necessarily a greater roleplaying experience, but a greater sandbox experience. You prefer expression in the characters you role play, and the ability to tell the story, but that isn't the definition of role playing. It is a type, a form, of role playing, but it isn't a more valid, or more true, sense of role playing than any other.
The greater sense of identification/immersion is also not entirely correct, and entirely subjective. Some people will enjoy and understand a character they're given to role play, far better than they would one they made up on the spot [Hot Elf Ranger being by far the easiest target of this], and can get properly immersed in the point of view of that given character, whereas with a self created character they simply use it as a vehicle to do what they as a person want within the game world, not play the role of the character they created. It really depends on the person, and the character, as to how this goes.

And no, I disagree; Mass Effect was - and probably still will be - a narrative driven variously middling 3rdP shooter with light RPG elements.

Yes, it pretty much all goes back to D&D and other tabletop gaming, and that quality of creating a role and playing it is almost entirely absent in Mass Effect, or most supposed RPG's, frankly. At best, Shepard was a single 'character' with optional action class types, nothing more. I hate to sound like a stuck record, but Shepard wasn't a defined character, nor the player's own creation - they fell between those two stools and, I believe, suffered for it. In the cinematics she's the writers - fairly bland, if still charismatic and admirably assertive - 'character', often reacting without any prompting whatsoever (that character barely ever segued with the role I'd been trying to express). The cutscene ends? And the avatar is handed over to the puppet master player, to nudge them around the world until the game takes the reigns again.
This tells me that most of your experience is with Mass Effect 2 and 3, and yes, they were shit for role playing. Its one of my biggest complaints with them. 2 was functional, 3... The writers just took over and the character you had created and were playing as no longer existed in its entirety. More than a few people were pissed off at that.

Shepard was, however, your classic RPG character. In a D&D campaign, if you tell the DM you're an interdimensional time traveller from a far off universe with hidden powers that will be revealed when you reach your full potential, a lot of the time he's going to say "Toss off". Sometimes a DM will roll with it if it fits in with a campaign. A lot of the time they won't. Even in the original RPG, you were limited in the roles you could create.
Some DMs also enforce role playing, and if you say something your character wouldn't have said, they won't accept it and you've got to try again. You only get a few options, roughly, of what to say and do, defined by who your character is.
Lets also try one where your party is a team of adventurers trying to save your kingdom from the invading undead. If you say "I'm secretly an undead and want to betray everyone", sometimes the DM will roll with it, other times he'll say "Look, that doesn't really fit in with this story. Hell, I've already got 3 of those characters written in, and it'd take a level of role playing I don't think you possess to pull of a fourth. Additionally, the undead here don't take allies, so it'd be a major break in the plot of them, and...". Your roles are ALWAYS limited by the story and campaign the DM is trying to tell. Sometimes a DM is more open to different roles, sometimes they're not. This doesn't make either of them better or worse ROLE PLAYING experiences, it just determines how much the players are the storytellers in the campaign.

Shepard, at least in 1, was a semi-defined role. He's a navy marine officer type person, with a colourful history of your choosing. He's on his way to becoming promoted, and is loyal to humanity. Outside that, he's mostly up to you. You're given a framework, based on the requirements of the campaign you're playing, and within that framework you determine the details of the character - like with any D&D campaign. Since games can't take your voice input, comprehend language, and dynamically create new dialogue lines using hyper advanced AI, the dialogue options you can take are limited to the ones that, broadly, fit into the character archetype as a whole. You're given the ability to be a highly pragmatic Shepard, or a highly idealistic one, or anywhere in between. At least in 1. You can be rough and abrasive but still idealistic, or you could be kind and calm, but pragmatic to the end. So long as you stick within the barriers of human navy officer who is loyal to humanity, you're pretty much good. In 1 at least. You could make him react to and crack under stress, you could make him xenophobic, you could make him hold himself high despite the battering he keeps receiving, you can make him xenophilic. You can make him an over confident asshole, or he can be a humble hero. The biggest limitation in the game, outside the fact that you have a semi-defined role to work with, is that how much of each you are is tied to your persuasion system, which is a silly idea that really needed to be dropped, rather than reinforced, in the latter titles.

I found the series to be peculiarly schizoid, never committing to being an actual RPG, yet never having the guts to just fully flesh out Shepard and tell a conventional character narrative (given the 'cinematic' presentation and voice acting, I'd have preferred the latter path).
The series as a whole, yeah. ME1 had promising beginnings, but rather than improve on them they tried to go mainstream. Worst mistake of the series, that led to literally all the problems the series as a whole has. Within the first game, however, it was reasonably consistent, I don't know if there was a single dialogue line Shepard said that you didn't get some choice in, even if it was the same voice recording - at least you got choice in what he was thinking as he said it. The most cinematic action that happened was taking cover, and shooting, and walking out of the ruined citadel tower at the end. Otherwise most of it was gunplay, then talking between people.

...is discussing semantics particularly useful to anyone or anything? Not in the slightest, and despite their fundamental differences TES and ME represent populist gaming ergo more or less inhabit the same cultural space. It just personally riles me a little that something like ME is so heavily associated with the acronym.
I feel the same about Skyrim. Skyrim is a terrible role playing game. You have no real choice in how you express your dialogue - its all just one option. You don't have any choice in how you interact with most people either. I can't tell the Jarls to toss off, or anything of the like. The world isn't designed with any way for you to truly express and role play a character - it exists as a static slate so you can PRETEND you're any character, and it won't make a toss of difference no matter what. It tries to make any role you could play technically viable, but it fails to actually acknowledge any role, or let you properly play it. Its as much role playing as me talking to my wall and pretending I'm an all powerful wizard on a quest is. It lacks the reactivity needed to truly play a role and have it exist.

ME is tied to the acronym because it is a great role playing game. You don't have to tell the story to be able to play the role, and ME lets you play the role of Shepard just fine. Its a restricted role, but that doesn't reduce its role playing credibility at all. All roles are restricted in role playing. Even in Skyrim you have to start off as some level of nobody, with no skills and no powers, and you can't ally with Alduin to take over the world as the most powerful duo to ever have lived.

Role playing isn't about telling the story, and having absolute freedom in what you do. That's sandbox play. Role playing is about playing a role, whether its one you define, or one that's defined for you, or somewhere in between. Both games offer a different take on that experience, and that's why they're both popular and tied so heavily to RPGs. Neither is more of a true RPG than the other. Both naturally have their flaws, but both also have their strengths, and both allow role playing.

Why is it a "cash in"? It's a game in a [big] business - surely everything is a literal cash in. And can't fictional worlds tell more than one story?
Talking literally, yeah, everything is a cash in for a business. Mass Effect though?
2 and 3 weren't Cash Ins, as they had a story to tell. They started it, and they needed to finish it. Once it was finished, that was Mass Effect. You could do spin offs, but that's not what they're trying to do.
They're doing a sequel, in another galaxy, with some contrived plot, so that they get to throw all the fanservice they want in, but detach themselves from any of the consequences of the way they ended the story - which literally changed the entire Mass Effect world.
It stinks to me of not having another story in the Mass Effect setting that they wanted to tell, but needing to sell another Mass Effect game because its a popular brand, and having to come up with a story to tell in order to do so. It'll come out, and it'll be another Jar Jar Abrams/Michael Bay knockoff, with a pretty shallow and uninteresting, but fanservicey plot, and without a meaningful story it wants to tell about the world, just another one its trying to tell in it for the sake of selling more games.

DA:II, for all its flaws, wasn't a cash in. As an example. It had a story within the world it wanted to tell, a new perspective to give, and the game was built around that. It didn't shy from the consequences of the earlier game, but it had a different story, of a different place, within the same world that it wanted to tell. It lacked polish, and was rushed out, but much like DA:I, it served to grow the world of Thedas, and give us a different perspective on it, and understanding of life there.

Mass Effect; Andromeda? They're literally hitting the reset button. They are trying to distance themselves entirely from the world they created with Mass Effects 1-3, but still pull on fan Nostalgia to buy into it anyway. Its not going to add a deeper understanding of the world we were shown in 1-3, its not going to give a different perspective on that world, and it doesn't even really take place in that world. It doesn't want to be Mass Effect, but it wants to use the name and symbols of the series to try and grab some sales. Its a cash in. If I'm proven wrong, then hey, great. As is though, there's only one way I see this game going, and that's as a new IP that was designed by marketing and test groups, and is tied to an existing brand name to boost sales. I've got no faith in it being good at this point.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
I grew up in rural Texas. I bought a D&D boxed set at a book store in Houston in the early 80's. I had no one to play with and no one within a 50 mile radius that wouldn't have had me sent to a therapist if they actually knew what I was doing with my dice and pencil and paper. So I played both the DM and all the players, by myself.

And then the D&D gold box games came out, about the time I was headed off to college. Holy shit! I don't need a DM anymore! The computer does it all for it you! Yay. I have been happy ever since. Sandbox... go kill yourself. I just want to play and level and experience the story someone has already written. I don't want to go larping around making it up as I go along. That's what people did before computers were invented. It's not something to be proud of or a compliment for a game with a crappy story.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I'm trying very hard not to be over excited for it.
I can easily say that the Mass Effect series is my favourite out of any that I have ever played. I'm even saving all my EB credit towards it.