So, Minecraft...

RockyH

Mar 25, 2010
I'm hearing a lot about this game, which is apparently amazing and customizable. Is it worth my money? I'm having some doubts about it, like-

How complicated is it to get resources? Because, I like building, but would I have to mine and harvest for like two hours to get enough to build a house?

And how hard is it to understand the building and crafting controls? If I get past those doubts I will probably get it.

Discussion Value- What is your favourite (Or least favourite) thing about mincraft?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
My favourite thing (which I've yet to do) would be start a big project with my friends that eventually develops from a few huts to a sprawling city.

RockyH

Mar 25, 2010
Disaster Button said:
My favourite thing (which I've yet to do) would be start a big project with my friends that eventually develops from a few huts to a sprawling city.
So can you have a multiplayer just for a group of friends? And a public one as well I'm guessing...

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
The controls get really easy, really fast.
The resources can take a while, but finding them is half the fun. In my current save, I spawned right next to a HUGE cave, which I've spent about three hours in, gotten plenty of diamond, gold, iron, redstone and coal, and I'm still nowhere near finding everything down there.
The trick with Minecraft is to approach each new save file in a different way, then find the one you like best - have one where you spend most of your time in a cave, have one where you're doing heaps of combat with mobs, have one where you're making a house/city, have one where you're exploring, one where you're making minecart rollercoasters, or waterslides, or redstone circuits, etc, etc. You can do all in one save file, obviously, but do then one after the other.

Personally, I like finding HEAPS of clay, getting five or six furnaces, and making a brick mansion. It takes forever, but it looks awesome.

Also, it pays to look around the wikis that have all the crafting recipes and stuff.

Oh, by the way, you JUST missed out on the unofficial, offline-mode-only 'free weekend' that just came around. Now I have a raw .exe of the game, and I can't go online or make an account. Still an awesome game, though, I might buy the rest once Beta comes out.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
RockyH said:
Disaster Button said:
So can you have a multiplayer just for a group of friends? And a public one as well I'm guessing...
There's public servers that anyone can join but if you want a private one for a group of friends I'd suggest hosting your own server so you can police it and lock it.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Minecraft is very easy to learn and very enjoyable. The game is constantly improving and allows for an adventurous journey that is never the same each time you start a new game. Building a house or even a keep or a castle is fairly easy, should only take about half a day (about an in game week) to make a nice house or tall tower. The main things to know are some of the crazyfun shit you can get up to-

Minecraft is a game where you can be punched into a subterranean river of lava by a zombie at the core of the earth.

You can build a roller coaster that shoots through a mountain, over a river of lave, under a waterfall and arrives at your glowing ice palace. I hope to one day achieve this.

You can travel nearly infinitely in one direction without the game slowing down.

You can fight for your survival, hiding in the dark like a rat for the first night, the second night you find a source of light and sit warmly in a small cave as the monstrous hoards attempt in vain to get in. By night three you make a stone tower atop a hill and look proudly across the wastes, planning your inevitable infiltration of the nearby caves for natural rescorces. Your journey leads you to create extravagant structures for your own amusement.

Minecraft is a game where you can beat a cow to death with a bunch of flowers.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
There are two parts to the game

-Survival
-Alpha
-Free

-Creative

Survival has two parts, free and alpha, alpha is the part people pay for, the free version is.. free. Basically it's an openworld game, go around, kill pigs, mine iron, use that iron to mine diamond, etc. etc.

If you want to build stuff however, there is a free version called 'Minecraft Creative' (also known as classic) where you are given unlimited blocks to build with, it's incredibly fun and on a server with 6 friends you see some really awesome structures :D.

Think of Survival as a better-than-runescape, and the creative as Gmod.

RockyH said:
And how hard is it to understand the building and crafting controls? If I get past those doubts I will probably get it.
The controls are just like any other FPS, WASD to move, space to jump. In creative R can be used to respawn and Enter can be used to set a respawn point. Left click to take said block, Right click to place it once you've mined it.

There is another part of the game called crafting, it's a tad confusing at first, but nothing minecraft wiki can't solve :D. Say you want a stick. Cut down a tree, put the bark into your crafting screen, it will become 4 pieces of wood. Put 2 of those pieces of wood together, and you got your stick!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
From what I've seen it's an insanely open game with endless possibilities. Something I'd like for sure.

But I much prefer Dwarf Fortress. It's vastly more complex, and free to boot.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Favorite thing about Minecraft: The procedural world generation makes exploring fun
Least favorite thing: It trips my addiction circuits, meaning I stop playing at 3:30 AM when I have work the next morning

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
I'm gonna get it eventually.....just been playing to much Ocarina of Time

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Yes and then you can do this:

Torches Galore:

Warning this image doesn't show all of the torches, in reality their are many inside, above and behind of my character. XD

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
minecraft is absolutely fantastic, I wasn't sure originally about it so I downloaded it and gave it a try. I spent 45 min in the game before I bought it and haven't regretted it.

I like to think of it as legos for adults, there is so much building to be done, so much exploration, it's very easy to get lost as well. You feel like you are an adventurer, with so much potential just ladi out in front of you. The world is theoretically infinite it generates as you explore. Though the accept limit is approx 8 times teh size of earth. This is also an alpha, this alpha is mroe fun than most full games I've played in a long time. there is simply too much to do.

Also, if you get tired of fighting mobs for your existence you can always set it to peaceful so you can build up some resources make a solid and fun base craft your mighty arsenal, then turn mobs back on and mutilate them.

Cave diving or spelunking is one of the most fun things to do, when you find a cave that delves deep into the earth you can't help but explore every cranny to find and exploit its resources. going deep into the earth and spending hours collecting precious minerals like diamond gold and redstone in or to create better tools or craft complex circuits and traps is immensely satisfying.

Not to mention the construction aspect, dig deep and build an underground railroal, or find a mountainrange and conquer the top with bridges and towers. Build a palace made of glass, or perhaps a massive lava lamp (with real lava!) The only limiting factor in this game is your own imgainiation.

While the game may not look all that great but in fun and replay value it sure beats the heck out of any game I've seen release recently.

Buy it. Love it. Tell your friends.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Mr Companion said:
Minecraft is a game where you can beat a cow to death with a bunch of flowers.
This pretty much explains Minecraft.

OT: I can't really give much advice, but I've played the multiplayer, so Minecraft was practically Lego world in there.