So my 3DS XL just died on me

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
R.I.P. my old DS so now that I need a replacement ...
I want to know is it worth bothering to upgrade to the new model is the c-stick worth it?

does the new one even have exclusive games for it?

this is extra annoying to me as rumble world just dropped today

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
From what I've heard, the new one lets you play the Xenoblade Chronociles game coming soon. The older models can't play it. Other than that, no clue how useful the new camera is.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Elfgore said:
From what I've heard, the new one lets you play the Xenoblade Chronociles game coming soon. The older models can't play it. Other than that, no clue how useful the new camera is.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa....

New model and my current 3DS can't play the new games? Did I miss something?

Who the hell at Nintendo is in charge of this shit? This model confusion hurt the Wii U fiercely when it first launched so if it's a new system, why the hell do you call it a 3DS?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
The new 3D thing actually works, I can confirm that. Though if you care is another question. The c-stick is pretty much required for Monster Hunter 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles is exclusive to the system. There's also the Amiibo support for games like Code Name: STEAM. That's pretty much everything about it right now.

If it were me I'd get it for future-proofing.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
If you care about the new features mantioned above, go for the New 3DS (Arg, Nintendo's names still suck). If you don't, save some money by getting an old 3Ds as a replacement. Prices are dropping thanks to the new guy. Still, be cautious about Nintendo releasing something you might like exlcusive to the Nu 3DS. Maybe get a used older 3DS
tippy2k2 said:
Elfgore said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa....

Who the hell at Nintendo is in charge of this shit? This model confusion hurt the Wii U fiercely when it first launched so if it's a new system, why the hell do you call it a 3DS?
I only have a 3DS XL (the purdy gold A Link Between Worlds one), but I'm not too worried. I have a good feeling they won't release too many games that are "New" 3DS exclusive. I believe they will treat it like the DSi, where some games will take advantage of the new hardware, but will work on the old systems at the cost of losing access to features (like Majora's Mask 3D's camera control), and very few games will only work on the new hardware iteration (Xenoblade, which needs more cpu power, for the New 3DS/ DSiware games and anything that was based around the camera for DSi). Now, the next handheld Ninty makes is another story...

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Don't personally care for the nubbin that is the "c-stick". Feels weird using it and it doesn't always register which direction I'm nudging it in. They should've just bolted a circle-pad pro to the side and called it a day.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
GrimlockStrangest said:
It's why Zelda and Shiek are two different people (And Samus) The RAM wasn't good enough to run the game while loading both at the same time, and they wanted to maintain parity with the WiiU version.
Really? I thought only Ice Climbers were cut because of that. And the only reason duel characters were split was because they were impossible to balance with the other fighters.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
wintercoat said:
Don't personally care for the nubbin that is the "c-stick". Feels weird using it and it doesn't always register which direction I'm nudging it in. They should've just bolted a circle-pad pro to the side and called it a day.

And while we're on the subject, I hate that the circle pad isn't textured at all. My thumb slips off it all the time.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
MajorTomServo said:
First problem that I saw is that the buttons are directly above the the right analogue stick/pad. For multi-tasking, you need to place buttons diagonally - just look at any other controller.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
mad825 said:
MajorTomServo said:
First problem that I saw is that the buttons are directly above the the right analogue stick/pad. For multi-tasking, you need to place buttons diagonally - just look at any other controller.
What do you mean by that? Moving the stick while pressing buttons at the same time? I don't recall ever doing that in any game; or at least, not often enough for it to be a major concern.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Elfgore said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa....

Certain games for the 3DS will require the recently released "New 3DS" to play. Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS is one such game. Monster Hunter 4 is a game that has features only available to the New 3DS.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
MajorTomServo said:
wintercoat said:

And while we're on the subject, I hate that the circle pad isn't textured at all. My thumb slips off it all the time.
I understand that the 3DS isn't the most technologically advanced gaming device out there, but I'm pretty sure that it's got a bit more in it than the prayers of children and Mario Stickers.

You can't just slap on a full sized circle pad and act like there's nothing but empty space on the inside of the system.