So my car got broken into last night

Naepa34

Dec 10, 2010
Well, this was kinda crazy, so I figured I'd post it.
So I was getting ready to go to sleep around 1 AM yesterday night. My window was open because it was hot out, and because I live on a quiet dead end street, I could hear a lot. After a bit, I hear what sounds like change being rattled down by my car, which is odd. I grab my keys, and hit the remote lock. Instead of locking the car (I hadnt driven it all weekend, and my mom had opened it up earlier that day to get something out, and had forgotten to lock it back), I hear the distinctive tone that the car makes when I try to remote lock it and a door is open. So this is bad. I hit the button few more times, and it locks, which can only mean that someone was rummaging through my car, heard the tone, and closed the door. I also could hear footsteps in my driveway. So I rush over to my parents room, wake them up, and tell them that someone is breaking into my car. My mom calls the local police, while me and my dad go outside to investigate. When we get to my car, no-one is around, but my change drawer has clearly been emptied. I dont keep anything really valuable in my car at night, so I wasnt particularly worried,
So, after about a minute, my dad goes back inside, and my mom comes out. about when she gets to me, we see an old, beat up, dark colored sedan start driving from the end of our street to the intersection, passing our house. It clearly doesnt belong to any of our neighbors, and really doesnt belong on a quiet dead end at 1 AM. Right as it gets to the intersection, it runs into 3 cop cars that were coming over to investigate. One stops, him, and the two others continue to my house, and an officer gets out and I describe what happened. He tells me that there had been a problem with car break-ins in the area, and they thought it was one guy, but they never caught him in the act.
So, I get a call in the morning from the police. The sketchy sedan was the guy, who had broken into 13 cars on my street just that night, and was the guy that had been plaguing the whole area with break-ins for over 6 months. Apparently he stole a few GPS navigators, a box of some guy's business cards (wtf?), a dead blackberry, and a bunch of loose change.
So now my street thinks I'm a hero, the local police like me, and I'm now telling people to call me batman.

Edit: On second thought, Night Owl probably makes more sense, since the only reason I caught him was because I was up late, and I still get a good watchman reference.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Nice job. I've had to break into my car before, though. Damn my ability to leave the keys in the car! Also, you should have curbstomped the dude while wearing briefs.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
My dad had someone get into his truck and we didn't know about it till the next day, all they took was like the over 200 burned cds we had in there since we burn all our cds and keep the orgional's in case they break etc lol

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'd say "Cool story, brah", but that actually was a good story. Grats Batman!

May 28, 2009
Naepa34 said:
So now my street thinks I'm a hero, the local police like me, and I'm now telling people to call me batman.
Congratulations on becoming street Jesus, but considering Batman's past, I wouldn't be so quick to have people call you that.

The crime-crim-criminal may be out for... revenge!!!!

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I just think it's hilarious that the person he probably took the least from ended up getting him caught. That and if a car was making noises while I was trying to break into it, I'd get out of there posthaste.

He got sloppy.

Tsekatsu

Mar 29, 2011
You're lucky all he took was change.

I remember back when I was visiting Family in Ohio a couple years ago, Some Young Foolish Child(Me in this case) forgot to lock the truck door, he got his handgun and Radar detector stolen, My grandmother saw this going on called the police, They later found the gun at the bottom of a well IIRC, and they tried to scratch the serial number off it. crazy stuff.

good thing the police caught him before he got away.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
voetballeeuw said:
Nice job. I've had to break into my car before, though. Damn my ability to leave the keys in the car! Also, you should have curbstomped the dude while wearing briefs.
Nice reference!

Naepa34 said:
Sucks that you went through the first bit of it, but it's good they caught the guy and that you got to be a part of ending a spree. Kudos for acting quickly and rationally too.

Naepa34

Dec 10, 2010
I think he actually got caught because he was just a dumbass and didnt anticipate anyone catching him. I live maybe 2/3 of the way down a dead end, and from what I saw, I think he must have parked his car at the very end and walked up and down the street looking for unlocked cars. So, when he was in my car and the tone went off (And I would have paid significantly more than he took to just see his face in that moment), he had to run maybe 1/3 of a mile to his car, then drive all the way back down the street, where he met the cops.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Naepa34 said:
and I'm now telling people to call me batman.
Bah, if you were really batman, you would have swooped down on him and pummeled his ass yourself. With your bare hands. And maybe a ham and cheese sandwich. Because that would be awesome.

[sub] But good job I guess. [/sub]

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
Hah, nice. My friend's dad had his car broken into a few weeks ago, some chavs had sneaked into the back of his house, took his car keys from their kitchen whilst everyone was inside the house, and attempted to rob it round the front. The fucking morons didn't know how to start it though because you've gotta put in the keys, and then press a separate button. He actually caught the kid getting out of his car as he was walking up to it, he said "go on then..", and the kid put up a fist, but then just ran away instead. The same mate a week or so later caught some chavs trying to climb through his window, he lives away from home on the bottom floor of some apartments, he left his window open one night and got up to close it and there was some asshole with half a leg in his room. The guy was like "uggh, I thought I left my keys here, sorry mate", and then ran off.

Thieves are fucking stupid, I remember when I was younger some guy was robbing stuff from our shed, there's nothing even in it, just gloves, farming shit, and bricks. Every night for like a week there would be dirty footprints and stuff moved near the shed when we woke up. My mum's car alone has been broken into and then found somewhere else in Manchester about 10 times in total. People like to drive it, it seems.

Oh yeah, someone stole stuff from our porch once too. They took my brother's scooter and left mine. The front door was open, but nope... dude hit the fucking jackpot with that one scooter right there. Fuck plasma televisions and games consoles, the scooter is where it's at.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
I'm no master criminal but wouldn't it make much more sense to spread out where you commit your crimes instead of hitting the same neighbourhood that would probably be on it's guard after the first time. I guess the guy breaking into cars for meth money shouldn't be expected of much more.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
I'm no master criminal but wouldn't it make much more sense to spread out where you commit your crimes instead of hitting the same neighbourhood that would probably be on it's guard after the first time. I guess the guy breaking into cars for meth money shouldn't be expected of much more.
I can attest that meth-heads are not criminal masterminds. There are some people that my parents know who's beach house was broken into by a pair of meth addicts who thought that stealing the house's contents was going to take a while and so decided to do laundry in the house they were robbing. They had to leave after the police responded to the alarm system and wound up leaving all of the guys stuff in his house and all of their clothes in his laundry machine. They were caught later that day...