So my fellow nerds, what is this Doctor Who you speak of?

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Well, this site just keeps giving me newer and newer addictions...

Anyway, I've been hearing alot about this series. So I've decided that I might give it a look. So anyone want to tell me how to start? I know I could just wiki it or something, but what fun is that? I want to hear what the fans have to say.

So where exactly should I begin? Even though I like sci-fi and quirky humor, does it seem like something I would like? ( I liked Star Wars, was interested in Star trek, loved Ender's game, watch futurama all the time, etc.)

IS their some masive lore I'll have to learn to understand the plot? I'm fine with learning a few terms and races, but if its too in depth, it's a little off putting.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
According to my best friend who has suddenly become a huge fan of it, as soon as a new doctor shows up (which was recent) you can pick it up.

IThinkImASofa

Sep 25, 2010
The series has been going on for quite a long time. No i mean a long time. Like longest running television series ever. Like since 1963 long time. The premise of the main character is structured so as to maintain this longevity, in which he is essentially a massively powerful alien that can "regenerate", which occurs at the end of every season thereby allowing for a new actor to take his place. What this effectively creates is a series of separate groups of fan-dome within the entirety of Dr. Who fan-dome that worship there respective "Dr. Who's" that played the part when they were into the series. Mine is personally David Tennant (2005-2010) so i would obviously tell you to start there, but in reality there is no shame in sticking with the new Matt Smith as far as lore is concerned. If there is ever a reference to earlier seasons it will manifest itself in the form of supporting characters or glimpses the Doctor may have of his long lost friends in his "time" traveling, often resulting in minor plot devices, none of which will hamper your enjoyment of the spectacular lunacy that is Dr. Who. Having said this, I personally can only vouch for the quality of the 2005-2010 running which was near perfect from start to finish, and the writers did change for this new season.... Id just jump in if i where you, if you like it enough you'll surely explore further into the Doctors past.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Horny Ico said:
FalloutJack said:
*Glares*

Who the hell are you calling a nerd?
Why do you hate love, Hank? (It's a compliment; why that's news to you is a mystery to me.)
Keep walking, man. Just keep walking.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
It goes something like this:
Confused? good.

Also Wax Centurions :3
Complete and total win for using "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time".

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Honestly, I would start with the new series. The first episode of the reboot is called "Rose". It is a good introductory episode with a good introductory Doctor. It is meant to grab new people as well as reintroduce old fans to it.

suicide samurai

Jul 17, 2009
New series (Eccelson to start), for sure, which ties a lot into the Tennent series. The three Doctors of the new series are, all in all, a developing character--from dreary, to facing deamons, to moving on. That's how I see it, but thatcould be me liking how Tennant took over the series.

I remember a lot of love for the old series growing up (parents watched it off and on), but the new series clues you into a lot of what went on, without u needing the massive back-log of information the old series could provide.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Someone call [user]Timelord[/user]!

Anyway, a Sci-Fi series I never got into. Very British. I want to start from the original season and marathon through it but I don't have the disks nor care enough to look for online sources.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010

The cross-over MLP and Doctor Who fans are either laughing right now or completely terrified.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:

Anyway, I've been hearing alot about this series. So I've decided that I might give it a look. So anyone want to tell me how to start? I know I could just wiki it or something, but what fun is that? I want to hear what the fans have to say.

So where exactly should I begin? Even though I like sci-fi and quirky humor, does it seem like something I would like? ( I liked Star Wars, was interested in Star trek, loved Ender's game, watch futurama all the time, etc.)

IS their some masive lore I'll have to learn to understand the plot? I'm fine with learning a few terms and races, but if its too in depth, it's a little off putting.
Well I properly started with the Christopher Eccleston version (9th out of 11 total doctors) and I didn't have to much trouble with following the greater scope along. They explain everything pretty well, and while you may want to look up a thing or two, they usually keep things relatively contained.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Starts with Season 1, which is the first Rebooted season in 2005. The animation isn't good, but trust me, the writing grows on you. You'll love it by season 2.

You'll learn most of the lore is season one, and can look up the rest online- tardis.wiki, for example.

It's a really great series, with a big universe and complex rules. You won't regret watching it.

Xooiid

Feb 1, 2011
Like Heik did, start off with the 2005 season to fill in the blanks and introduce you to the doctor. After that, look up the 4th Doctor to fall in love with the older series, and go from there.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
SUPA FRANKY said:

There IS a massive lore, BUT the "new" series (Doctor Who season 1 with Christopher Eccleston as the 9th Doctor) reintroduces it for all the new fans.

So pick it up there. If, after watching a season or two of that, you want to go back to the "old" Doctor Who, you can, but for a newcomer, that's the best place to start.

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
This vid has a good start for intro to the classic series
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/nash/specials/31100-doctor-who-classic-best-classic-episodes