So Now I Have Even More Reason To Hate Youtube and Its Stars...

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Julianking93 said:
If you didn't want to read all that, basically, people get paid a ton of money for really nothing. The top user making $315,000 a year for a weekly 3 minute video.
Video making, editing and rendering is a lot of hard work, and it takes a long time to do. Even some basic editing can take hours to do properly. Trust me, I've tried.

Even if you don't particularly like their content (personally I don't like a lot of them either), saying that they get paid to do 'nothing' is straight up wrong.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
DeFranco is... ok, some of the time. Occasionally worth the watch.
As is communitychannel, but thats mostly because she has the hottest accent ever

As for the numbers... I dunno, I'd like to see the source of this information, maybe I'm just skeptic that mediocre entertainment could make THAT much money, or maybe its just that the world of YouTube and and all the anger it seems to bring with it, makes me suspicious, overall. It does seem like way too much money for any of them.

That and some of the other users with astronomical views, like RayWilliamJohnson [small](who is probably the king of Mediocre content)[/small] are missing from the stats

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
I use Youtube on a daily basis for music and stuff(I also use it to upload various runs on Audiosurf for fun) and I did follow those YT celebs when I was younger. looking back on that time period makes me realise: I simply admired those guys because they did what I was afraid to do, speaking up and letting the world know what a person thinks of various subjects without fearing to be sued and hated for it.

A small note on that... Every single celeb in that list has roughly the same amount of haters as subscribers(I for one, am not a fan of 'Fred' and his idiotic helium voice). And so it appears that being the biggest jerk and ignorant individual gets you the most points.

P.S. That last statement reminds me of a certain someone on this very site.

Sinisterair

Oct 15, 2008
This is the exact thing as pro sports, ppl being paid wayyyy more than they should be for things everyone can do. its happend, it'll keep happening, And theres not a damn thing you can do about it, ppl are idiots and they will click away on every dumb video that has a few hits get over it

Orhid

Apr 14, 2009
Oh my god people are getting money from doing something that brings other people entertainment?

WHAT KIND OF NONSENCE IS THAT?!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Meh, whatever - you seem a tad jealous.

I'm subscribed to The Young Turks, so I don't mind.

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
I like some of them, but others are really kinda... Uhm... Bad.

Crazy money though, I'd love it, though I think the quality of my videos would need upping ;)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Mr Montmorency said:
thenumberthirteen said:
How much does Doug "Nostalgia Critic" Walker make? If it's less than $1 million dollars then he isn't paid enough.
He doesn't deserve a cent for all of his patronising crossovers, running gags and stupid ass visits from Dr Insano.
I love him, but to each their own. We shall agree to disagree.

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
I don't see the problem, if people want to pay them this amount of money then let them. You choose to live in a capatilist society, then you gotta expect this kinda shit. That and I am actually subscribed to 2 of the people on that top 10 list. I really don't care.

tellmeimaninja said:
And in the meantime, people who make decent videos on YouTube are left in the dust.
Oh boo hoo. Seriously, this isn't a big deal. It's not as if the money is coming out of our pockets or anything. (at least not directly, though that new Megane does look appealing...)

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Well the way I see it, its the audiences fault for watching the videos in the first place. If I was offered 315,000 a year I wouldn't turn it down, that's crazy. They took their opportunity's and it pays off for their work that they do. If companies want to pay for advertising then that's their choice, and if you guys watch their videos then that is your choice too. If people are complaining about it then it must be easy for you, so why don't you do the same thing and make that money? Oh well, people's life choices confuse me sometimes. :)

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
Meh, Brandon Hardesty aka artiesmitw on YouTube has made me giggle for years, and he actually got a couple of film roles from it so far. That's the sort of YouTube success story I enjoy. Fred earning 6 figures makes me want to slap someone.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
I've only ever heard of Shane ... shows how much I youtube.

My lunchbreaks are spent on the good-ole escapist ... and newgrounds ... and the Guild Wars 2 site since I NEED TO KNOW THE UPDATES.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Not a big shock its continued going downhill. Thankfully I got outa there during the WMG fiasco

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
Good for them.

Anyone angry at these people clearly hates Capitalism.

If you can make money in an easy way without ripping people off then AWESOME for you. Only idiots click on youtube ads anyway.

Matt-the-twat

Sep 13, 2009
Off that list I'm subscribed to:

Shaycarl - how happy him and his family are make me feel good about life and inspire me
Community Channel - Could take or leave, but I often find it worth watching at the least

Used to be subscribed to Smosh after I saw their pokemon theme tune pisstake but have since unsubscribed as the quality of their videos and humour disintegrates. Philip Defrance is ok, I may watch one of his videos on a whim, but he's not that interesting.

Tried out this 'Little Kuriboh' that everyone seems to be singing the praises of, it would seem to me that he has a very specific audience he's appealing to, so I don't know why you can be upset that he isn't bigger. I just found him meh.

Youtuber recommendation of the day? WheezyWaiter.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Shane Dawson is an unfunny douche, all his videos are like "Har har I'm eating pubes! Vaginas! Period blood! har har aren't I funny!!" no, it seems people will like anything on youtube as long as the person doing it is flamboyantly gay. Then only one I like is communitychannel, she actually does funny videos sometimes.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I think MysteryGuitarMan should be up there, his videos are some of the best I've ever seen, and he puts so much fucking effort into them e.g. when making his Mini-Concerto video he stayed up for at over 20 hours editing it. He also shot his Guitar: Bumble video, he spent 9 hours taking over 1000 frames, one frame a minute.