So, now that the honeymoon period is over... (Skyrim thread)

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
You actually can go straight north and make it to New Vegas 5 minutes after you wake up. The game gives you like 3 stealth boys at the very beginning. The game just gives you a suggestion on where to go, because a sign saying "HERE THERE BE MONSTERS" isn't much of a deterant when it comes to adventure RPGs.
Every time I did that the Main quest bugged into a unfixiable mess becuase i skipped the crap before it.
Really? I've gone straight from Doc's house to The Tops, killed Benny, then went about my business with no problems. Did you have the fan-made bugfix patch? I believe that fixes most, if not all, of the continuity bugs from going straight to New Vegas.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
wintercoat said:
Really? I've gone straight from Doc's house to The Tops, killed Benny, then went about my business with no problems. Did you have the fan-made bugfix patch? I believe that fixes most, if not all, of the continuity bugs from going straight to New Vegas.
After the "official" fan made patch stopped about two DLCs in then some random person picked it up again I stopped caring.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Still playing it. Still enjoying it. May well be moving into my top ten of all time. If so that may mean that Bethesda have a rather ridiculous number of games in there now (3 or 4)...

Yoder13

Dec 6, 2010
After playing Skyrim for about 2 weeks straight I had complete most of the quests I could find and had 100% of the 360 Achievements for the game. I still think it good for some mindless fun now and again, but aside from that I have found much of the luster gone from the game.

I still feel that Skyrim is a good game and I have to agree with Jitters statement about how the new leveling system makes roleplay a little more difficult.

Good thread here Jitters, gave me something to think about!

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Yoder13 said:
After playing Skyrim for about 2 weeks straight I had complete most of the quests I could find and had 100% of the 360 Achievements for the game. I still think it good for some mindless fun now and again, but aside from that I have found much of the luster gone from the game.

I still feel that Skyrim is a good game and I have to agree with Jitters statement about how the new leveling system makes roleplay a little more difficult.

Good thread here Jitters, gave me something to think about!
All I can really hope for when anonymously shouting my thoughts onto the internet

themind

Jan 22, 2012
I enjoy Skyrim, still pick it up to play from time to time, but it doesn't share the same level of addictiveness as Oblivion and Morrowind, for me. Perhaps it's because I'm a bit older, I don't get as insanely excited for games like I used to, perhaps the level of expectation is so high these days that no game could hope to live up to the hype.

I played Morrowind for 250 hours, didn't finish the main quest. I played Oblivion for well over 300 hours, did almost everything you can do in the game. Closed 89 Oblivion gates, finished all guilds, and main quest. Skyrim I think I'm almost to 100 hours, and the same craving to finish everything and see everything just isn't there. I still chaulk it up to my age more than the game itself being sub-par.

Skyrim doesn't feel the same because Bethesda has over simplified the levelling system. Morrowind and Oblivion both required the player to plan a character at the creation stage. A mage with no magicka, fighter with no armor skills, stealth with no sneaking ability these were all possible and it made that character unique. You could intentionally roleplay a drooling sloth with no intelligence, you could pump up your luck and find grand soul gems where another player would find torches. Skyrim's health-magic-stamina system makes every character turn out almost identical, at least in my own experience. I pump up health to stay alive, move to magic to cast the stronger spells, and end off on stamina once the other two are juiced to my liking. Bethesda took the soul out of levelling up. No more agonizing decisions about should I get a bit more strength for melee, or endurance for health, or agility for sneak, what have you. Every character can be everything in Skyrim, and the game mechanics encourage players to mix magic with weapons. Not that I am against it, but if you take a Level 20 Morrowind or Oblivion character and compare it to a Level 20 Skyrim character the level of difference between the two is staggering. Sure all characters can become God characters in all the games, and all the games have exploits to make yourself invunerable, but if you play the game straight Morrowind/Oblivion feel like RPGs and Skyrim feels more like an adventure game with levelling.

I got more lasting enjoyment out of Morrowind and Oblivion because every new game I started felt different, whereas in Skyrim I don't feel I want to start a new game because there is no RPG element to distinguish my newest character from the previous ones. A Khajiit no longer has high jumping nor more speed than other races. Bretons and High Elves start with the same magicka as everyone else. Orcs and Nords and Redguards have no initial advantage of extra heallth.

The melting pot of all into one makes Skyrim more bland, less appealing as a game I can always go back to. I still play it, but I'm asking myself for how long?

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
RuralGamer said:
Still playing it. Still enjoying it. May well be moving into my top ten of all time. If so that may mean that Bethesda have a rather ridiculous number of games in there now (3 or 4)...
For me, the game just feels so sterile and lifeless that I don't WANT to go back.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
black_knight1337 said:
Unfortunately, the game has no sense of progression. Finding the next best equipment or getting the next perk in a skill tree was the only thing I could do to feel any accomplishment. The world seems so apathetic to everything I do, the characters are boring, the dragons go from simply easy to being a chore to deal with, and the ambient quests are little more than fetch quests that are usually solved with fast traveling to the closest place to your destination and dealing with whatever small opposition you find.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Jitters Caffeine said:
Unfortunately, the game has no sense of progression. Finding the next best equipment or getting the next perk in a skill tree was the only thing I could do to feel any accomplishment. The world seems so apathetic to everything I do, the characters are boring, the dragons go from simply easy to being a chore to deal with, and the ambient quests are little more than fetch quests that are usually solved with fast traveling to the closest place to your destination and dealing with whatever small opposition you find.
There is a reasonable amount of progression in Skyrim. Theres levelling your character which makes you a much more formidable fighter. Theres the guilds where you climb the ranks to eventually control the guild, this is more so with the thieves guild because you can return them to their former glory of basically controlling the entire country. That's pretty much all the progression there is in any game, levelling and guild wise.
Quite honestly there have been very few characters in AAA games that have actually interested me. I'm lucky if theres 2 or 3. So character wise Skyrim was no big disappointment because the bar is pretty low anyway.

I agree, the difficulty scaling is pretty bad. They needed to keep the Oblivion way of setting it from 0 to 100. Then we could fine tune it to something that feels right. But yeah the levels in Skyrim is Easy and then the last one is ridiculously hard.

Fetch quests are in every game and are almost always the most common quest type. Basically all quests can be broken down into a few groups. theres collect X from location/person Y. Theres kill X at location Y. Then theres a mixture of both kill X and collect Y. It's pretty hard to design a quest that isn't along these lines. Borderlands is an example of it done really really bad. If you look at Fallout you will see the exact same kinds of quests over and over and over, only variation is who, what and where.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
black_knight1337 said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
There is a reasonable amount of progression in Skyrim. Theres levelling your character which makes you a much more formidable fighter. Theres the guilds where you climb the ranks to eventually control the guild, this is more so with the thieves guild because you can return them to their former glory of basically controlling the entire country. That's pretty much all the progression there is in any game, levelling and guild wise.
Quite honestly there have been very few characters in AAA games that have actually interested me. I'm lucky if theres 2 or 3. So character wise Skyrim was no big disappointment because the bar is pretty low anyway.

I agree, the difficulty scaling is pretty bad. They needed to keep the Oblivion way of setting it from 0 to 100. Then we could fine tune it to something that feels right. But yeah the levels in Skyrim is Easy and then the last one is ridiculously hard.

Fetch quests are in every game and are almost always the most common quest type. Basically all quests can be broken down into a few groups. theres collect X from location/person Y. Theres kill X at location Y. Then theres a mixture of both kill X and collect Y. It's pretty hard to design a quest that isn't along these lines. Borderlands is an example of it done really really bad. If you look at Fallout you will see the exact same kinds of quests over and over and over, only variation is who, what and where.
Sure, you can become the leader of EVERY guild in the game all at once. But what happens? No one in the game reacts or cares. There's no satisfaction of being the Archmage of the Mage's College when my Alteration is my highest Magic skill at like 33. Or if I'm the Listener of the Brotherhood or Thieves guild with a sneak of like 20. Being the leader of the Companions and the leader of a guild of Werewolves? Completely trivial when your underlings are refusing to talk to you until you go shake down some shop owner in a town across the map. It all feels so meaningless.

In Fallout 3, if you take out Paradise Falls, Little Lamplight will be much more responsive to you and actually want to talk to you even though you're a "Mungo". Merchants will start circulating in the area more and give you discounts for taking out the slavers that harassed them. You FEEL like you've accomplished something. Alternatively, if you join the Slavers, you get to go out into the world and bring them new slaves, which will make people much more apprehensive to talk to you, Three Dog talks about how much of a menace you are to the Wastes. No one seems to give a rat's furry ass WHAT you do in Skyrim as long as you don't do it in front of a guard.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
I think I'm done with Skyrim for now until there's an update or something along those lines, I actually started playing it after the hype so that helped.
I loved the game, the only two things that irritated me was the glitches and minor quest exhaustion.
The latter I can forgive as you can work on quests as you please, instead of doing quests you can wander around the beautiful environments.
But the glitches. The glitches. Why the glitches?
The worst one being the glitch where I was unable to use ANYTHING, no crafting, no enchanting, no sitting, no nothing. Had to lose an hour of progress due to this.
There were a few minor quest glitches that I thankfully fixed, but if I hadn't the quests would be unable to be completed.
But yeah, other than that, I really liked the game, especially since I'm new to The Elder Scrolls series, I've even invested in trying Oblivion out.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
VaudevillianVeteran said:
I think I'm done with Skyrim for now until there's an update or something along those lines, I actually started playing it after the hype so that helped.
I loved the game, the only two things that irritated me was the glitches and minor quest exhaustion.
The latter I can forgive as you can work on quests as you please, instead of doing quests you can wander around the beautiful environments.
But the glitches. The glitches. Why the glitches?
The worst one being the glitch where I was unable to use ANYTHING, no crafting, no enchanting, no sitting, no nothing. Had to lose an hour of progress due to this.
There were a few minor quest glitches that I thankfully fixed, but if I hadn't the quests would be unable to be completed.
But yeah, other than that, I really liked the game, especially since I'm new to The Elder Scrolls series, I've even invested in trying Oblivion out.
If I had to place my biggest complaint about the game, or at least what I really NOTICED the most between Skyrim and New Vegas, it would have to be the total lack of interesting Characters.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Jitters Caffeine said:
If I had to place my biggest complaint about the game, or at least what I really NOTICED the most between Skyrim and New Vegas, it would have to be the total lack of interesting Characters.
I think there are a few memorable characters, I could name a few of the characters (outside of the Daedric Princes) that stuck to mind. Admittedly I get what you're saying, although it must be difficult to flesh out so many characters to their full potential for such a vast game.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Jitters Caffeine said:
I think there are a few memorable characters, I could name a few of the characters (outside of the Daedric Princes) that stuck to mind. Admittedly I get what you're saying, although it must be difficult to flesh out so many characters to their full potential for such a vast game.
They didn't have any trouble in the Fallout series. There are actual robots that are more memorable than most of the plot important characters in Skyrim.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I played the main story and a great deal of the side missions, but after about 80 hours my interest tailed off. I'm not one of those people that can restart a new character, because even though I could go off on a totally new play style, I already know what's going to happen (more or less) and so I just lose interest. Skyrim is a mightily good game though.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Jitters Caffeine said:
They didn't have any trouble in the Fallout series. There are actual robots that are more memorable than most of the plot important characters in Skyrim.
I think I can remember maybe a few characters from Skyrim that were mildly interesting and I enjoyed. Even then they weren't plot-central and didn't say much.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Jitters Caffeine said:
I think I can remember maybe a few characters from Skyrim that were mildly interesting and I enjoyed. Even then they weren't plot-central and didn't say much.
That's something else that bugged me, no one seemed to care what you were doing. Whether you were becoming the head of every guild in Skyrim or literally saving the world, the most you got was a small line of ambient dialogue shouted at you when you entered town. Just never felt like I was actually making a difference.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Jitters Caffeine said:
That's something else that bugged me, no one seemed to care what you were doing. Whether you were becoming the head of every guild in Skyrim or literally saving the world, the most you got was a small line of ambient dialogue shouted at you when you entered town. Just never felt like I was actually making a difference.
It was rather strange that you were literally saving the world and the only thing guards noticed was what kind of skills you were high in or occasionally which factions you were in. Even if they didn't know that you were saving the world, the fact you were the goddamn Dragonborn should've made more waves than it did.

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
Jitters Caffeine said:
ChupathingyX said:
None of the characters or factions seemed interesting and I just couldn't bring myself to give a shit about anyone or anything.

The opening part of the game alone was incredibly boring and the combat was stale to the point where every time I encountered an enemy I just sighed and mashed the attack button. Not to mention how often you get attacked by wolves and saber cats and every time the loud, obnoxious music starts playing made Skyrim the first game where I turned off the music.
This was one of my BIGGEST issues with the game. There wasn't a single character I gave a shit about. They all just felt like cardboard cutouts waiting for the protagonist to show up so they could say their line of dialogue, give their fetch quest, or shout their ambient sounds into the air. In New Vegas, I cared if someone died. Because I had become attached to them. Especially my companions. If Veronica died, I would reload the game because I CARED about whether or not I saw the end of her personal story. Even at the cost of hours of gameplay. In Skyrim, if Lydia died? Fuck if I care. I'll just find another random NPC to carry the shit I plan on selling at the next town.
I cared when people died in Skyrim. I became attached to them. You know how? I didn't rely on the game's developers and writers to make them valuable to me, I used this thing called imagination to feign sentimental value. This led to real sentimental value.
I cared about characters dying in freaking Cannon Fodder in the SNES because I allowed my imagination to make them sentimentally valuable to me. Even though they were 8-bit soldiers who I knew only by their name and their rank, I found myself having a mental breakdown every time one was K.I.A.