So, now that the Mass Effect 3 Demo is out...

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
What does everyone think? Does it bode well or ill for your expectations of ME3?

Personally I was very impressed by the demo. It really nailed my hopes for the new game.

Pros;
1 - The game seems to be a thematic blend of ME1 and ME2. Music borrows from both breeds of sound track and sound effects (such as when your gun runs out of ammo) are reminiscent of ME1's cyberpunk-y style.

2 - The leveling system for abilities. Yeah, it looks cool - Not TOO streamlined, could probably stand to have a bit more depth but I like it nonetheless. I also like how it seems every class has a grenade power.

3 - The icing on the cake - For example, my favorite class is easily Sentinel, and my favorite power is Tech Armour. I love the way the new Tech Armour looks like the type all the other NPCs use, and I like how you can detonate it.

4 - Weapons. So, now we can use whatever weapons we want, no matter what class we are. Sweet. I understand there are restrictions, since certain classes carry more weapons than others, but I liked being a Sentinel and carrying a shotgun and an assault rifle.

5 - Squad Banter. No one does this like Bioware, and it's getting extra focus in ME3, it seems. The exchange between Garrus and Wrex at the start of the demo's second mission is priceless. Squad-mates seem to be conversing more during missions as well.

6 - Captain Kirrahe. Just... Just Captain Kirrahe :D I was so glad to see him. I hope this indicates that the full game will draw from the mythos built up by the last two - There are tons of NPCs I'd really enjoy coming across again throughout the game. I expect another chance to upstage Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani, maybe see what Thane's son Kolyat has made of himself, or hear what trouble Kal'reegar has gotten himself into lately.

Cons;

1 - Well, as soon as James Vega lumbered into the scene and Shep called him by his first name I realized this would be another forced attempt to make me like the token human characters. This guy just seems like Ashley with a Y chromosome, so if there's an equivalent Virmire for me to leave him burning on he'll be finding himself there soon enough.

2 - Some of the facial expressions and stuff were... Just a bit off? And all in all while there's some pretty scenes, the demo didn't show off it's visuals or textures very well. The first level was a series of grey corridors and the second was a series of... Well, beige corridors. Then again, I was playing it on an old SD TV, so benefit of the doubt I guess.

3 - I thought it felt a little action game-y. Especially the first part, where you're running around Earth and things are exploding and it stops every once in a while to show Shepard dive out of the way of an explosion and it just felt a bit jarring.

4 - No indication as to how Armour or Weapon crafting will work, whuuut? I really wanted to see that. Hrm.

5 - The Dialogue choices were, well, negligible. I had hoped for at least a cool Paragon/Renegade interrupt to get, say, new players excited about the whole choice-making mechanic? Then again, that's hardly their agenda when they give you the choice of ignoring the dialogue parts entirely at the start of the game...

All in all, GREAT demo. I loved it, despite the flaws. It actually rejuvenated my faith in ME3. And we haven't seen how Armour or Weapons will work yet, and the Weapon customizing looks cool. So I think ME3 has a lot of potential.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I've heard (and confirmation or otherwise on this would be good) that some of the texture on the consoles looked off because they had to be reduced to fit the demo size limit. I realize it's a short demo compared to the size of the game, but compared to the between 5 and 20 minute demos of most game, it's bloody enormous. Anybody know if this is true?

boag

Sep 13, 2010
TheCommanders said:
I've heard (and confirmation or otherwise on this would be good) that some of the texture on the consoles looked off because they had to be reduced to fit the demo size limit. I realize it's a short demo compared to the size of the game, but compared to the between 5 and 20 minute demos of most game, it's bloody enormous. Anybody know if this is true?
I hope so because god damn, people look weird. Andersons face shocked me, It felt like he had tried to get a facelift.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
The download took a while, I suppose the Xbox servers aren't as fast as Steam's.
But the wait was well worth it just to see Anderson's bizarre sprinting animation!

Cover system felt a bit iffy - Tried ducking behind a wall, ended up rolling past it, got an arrow to the face.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
I played it, and I must admit, I thought it was really quite good. Plus, the ending of the first mission, that last sequence with the child was really powerful for me. Great job so far, BioWare.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I really enjoyed the demo. More tactical than ME2, more intense than ME1, it was perhaps the perfect fusion between the two games. I was really pleasantly surprised.

It also left a really deep emotional impact on me I dunno I wanted to cry at one point in the game.

When the ship carrying the boy blew up, and Shepherd left Earth, I dunno it felt so profound, I haven't been that affected by a game since The Witcher 2

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
The download took a while, I suppose the Xbox servers aren't as fast as Steam's.
But the wait was well worth it just to see Anderson's bizarre sprinting animation!

Cover system felt a bit iffy - Tried ducking behind a wall, ended up rolling past it, got an arrow to the face.
I downloaded it off of X-box, it took about an hour for me.

And yeah - I got nailed more than a few times due to the cover mechanics.
"Leap over that short railing, sir? Surely you'd rather roll into it, without moving!"

It actually killed me once. Yeah >_>

TheCommanders said:
Haven't heard anything about that, but it'd sure be encouraging if that was true.

And yeah, the Demo was pretty impressively large, I thought. Definitely a satisfying chunk of game.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Played through, highly enjoyed. It's basically more Mass Effect, what more could you want? Even better with more depth as well.

The only issue I have with it is having got back into PC gaming, playing back on my Xbox just looks awful. Some of the textures and models are painful compared to New Vegas on PC. And when you look bad next to New Vegas you've got real issues.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
pro:
seem to have added some of what made the first game good and some of what made the second one good as well

con
they had a chance to make a good intro and blew it with that black screen with the name on it same with the second one. don't recall the intro for the first one but it was most likely the same. should have had the name and the planet. guess there really is any cons I've seen yet need to play the full game before i can say more.

Does the mp unlock anything?

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
I think it is an almost perfect combination of ME and ME2 gameplay, with a healthy dose of ME style paragon/renegade decisions and ME2 visuals. The combat is pretty fun as well, although combat in the Mass Effect series was never really a buying point for me, either.

And considering this is a compressed demo of the game, I'm almost certain that those character textures are going to be much better to watch come the full release on March 6th.

tl;dr: My collectors edition is going to be well worth the money, it seems.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Overall, it met my expectations.

The combat was good and the squadmates seemed to be more helpful, at least they didn't die often. The cover system was alright. I did die once because Shepard wouldn't take cover where I wanted but I prefer it over ME1's cover system. I really like the Omni-Blade.

Leveling up better, has more options than in ME2, it could have a bit more depth but I'm fine with it.

The story was pretty good. It had that feeling of urge, which seems appropriate given the circumstances. There was a lack of dialog options but as far as I know, they stripped it down because it's a demo. The full game will have more dialog.
The part with the child felt a bit cheap to me. I know they want to evoke some emotions from us for the people of earth but there are better ways.

As for the graphics, I couldn't care less. Textures seem a bit low but again, that's probably because it's a demo. Like I said, I never played a Bioware game expecting great graphics. I can live with it the way it is.

The multiplayer is as expected. Average. Not bad but nod good either. I guess playing with friends can be fun but since it's not important to the story, I don't care about it much.

I know that many have still concerns about Origin. I've been using it for the last couple months and never had an issue. I've heard that it doesn't scan your computer anymore but I can't confirm that.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
It was well worth the download to me. I love that Wrex is back and I really hope you get that gun that Captain Kirahee was using because that was almost as awesome as just seeing him again. My only complaint is that the targeting controls seem a bit looser than I remember. Though I haven't actually played the others in a while so it might be chalked up to that.

3bkGaming

Feb 14, 2012
Lmao I'm still on the first one. Now I gotta beat the second one. While addicted to skyrim. To much for gaming. My xbox may overload. XD

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm enjoying it, though the multiplayer has it's foot jammed firmly up my rear, even on bronze I keep getting my ass kicked.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
I was so happy to see Kirahee, but not as much as I was to see Garrus! My old friend. Less than an month til release... yay!

I found a couple of things slightly odd, like how Shepard's arse doesn't seem to move at all and her legs just kind of swing from under it. Kind of like in Madden '10 when in some of the little cut-scenes afrer scoring, the player's head floats along not moving while the body chugs along under it. Hopefully it will be ironed out. Because the movements of arses are the cornerstone of a game, you understand.

Also it seemed a little bit like Anderson was acting inappropriately in the workplace, what with the touching of my midsection and commenting on my body, after which I kept deliberately finding suggestiveness in his dialogue. SO not going there, even if there is an achievement for it.

Hmm, reading back what I've read, I really need to get out more (as if being alone and playing video games while drinking rum on Valentines Day wasn't evidence enough...)

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Enjoyed the Demo, the animations are weird, specially Anderson running, I half expect someone to make a gif of that soon enough.

I take it that multiplayer was locked out of the Demo right?

boag

Sep 13, 2010
robot slipper said:
I was so happy to see Kirahee, but not as much as I was to see Garrus! My old friend. Less than an month til release... yay!

I found a couple of things slightly odd, like how Shepard's arse doesn't seem to move at all and her legs just kind of swing from under it. Kind of like in Madden '10 when in some of the little cut-scenes afrer scoring, the player's head floats along not moving while the body chugs along under it. Hopefully it will be ironed out. Because the movements of arses are the cornerstone of a game, you understand.

Also it seemed a little bit like Anderson was acting inappropriately in the workplace, what with the touching of my midsection and commenting on my body, after which I kept deliberately finding suggestiveness in his dialogue. SO not going there, even if there is an achievement for it.

Hmm, reading back what I've read, I really need to get out more (as if being alone and playing video games while drinking rum on Valentines Day wasn't evidence enough...)
It would be hilarious if they opened up the option for Sheppard to have an affair with Anderson

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
boag said:
I take it that multiplayer was locked out of the Demo right?
Those who got bf3 have already access to multiplayer. The others will be able to play it this friday.

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
Well were only 46 days into the year and we already have the Game of the Year. The faces seemed a little in the uncanny valley however and the default FemShep eyes really freaked me out somehow. The kid scene did feel cheap, you could see what was coming but it did make me want to cry a little. Also Garrus, Wrex and Kirrahe in the same mission! How can such awesomeness be contained in a mere demo!? Please don't let this be like a Hollywood trailer where all the best bits are shown.