So now that we know aliens exist...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Source please.

Anyway:

1. Pleased that I've finally been proven right.

2. Not until they decide to come and effect it significantly...

Discrodia

Dec 7, 2008
I believe you are mistaken good sir.

While we can be almost sure other life exists, the probability that it is all of the following:
1. Carbon based (read as: something that won't die if we interact with it)
2. Evolved to the point of sentience (Sentience being defined by the human standard of having the potential to imagine and plan ahead)
3. Developed civilization to the point they have technology comparatively similar to ours.
4. Have senses and perceive the universe in a similar manner to us, so that both of us would be aware of each other and potentially communicate.
5. Have existed and transmitted signals into space for long enough to reach nearby stars (for example, only for around 110 years have humans transmitted signals into space, IE we only have a 110 LY radius of potential listeners.
6. Have the ability to act on those signals.

If ALL of the above is true, then congrats, there is intelligent alien life that could possibly interact with humans. However, the probability of all this is so low as to render the question moot. The fact is, we will not be contacted by aliens now, we will likely never encounter aliens close enough in design and substance to us to permit communication.

I don't plan on letting the potential of there being aliens out there change how I act, and if you do you have either serious paranoia issues or need something else to direct reverence towards.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
1. not much different since it was pretty likely they existed before we were certain they did before this was published.
2. not unless it's intelligent life and they contact us or vice versa

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
HentMas said:
1.- i dont care
2.- all the religious groups will change their doctrines to include them and say "we knew it all along but didnt say a thing because people werent prepared

thats what i think
You'd be wrong. Most religions wouldn't particularly care either.

Anyways, I'd certainly care, because it means we have a way off this blasted planet.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
FarleShadow said:
"And now we're all getting our jobs outsourced to fucking Beta Omega V! Its bad enough when I get redirected to a call-center in India, but can you imagine trying to understand the goddamn Omega'ns? THEY COMMUNICATE IN ULTRASONIC! No I'm not racist, wtf."
More realistically, the nations that aren't as advanced get the factories and call center jobs because the employees would ask for less money. So, we'd be the call centers.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
FarleShadow said:
"And now we're all getting our jobs outsourced to fucking Beta Omega V! Its bad enough when I get redirected to a call-center in India, but can you imagine trying to understand the goddamn Omega'ns? THEY COMMUNICATE IN ULTRASONIC! No I'm not racist, wtf."
I have to ask. Did you quote that from somewhere or did you make that up? Cause that's damn funny. I lol'd.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
thaluikhain said:
It'd affect all sorts of things in unforeseen ways.

Religion would take alot of unscrambling. Well, at least it should, there are still lots of Catholics out there who believe the sun rotates around the Earth, for example, so I could imagine lots of people putting their fingers in their ears and ignoring the issues for a generation or two.

What I'd like to know is, do aliens go to the same afterlife/s as humans? If, say, Jesus dies for our sins, did he die for alien sins as well? Or, is there an alien son of god? Should Catholics obey the words of Space-Jesus as well as the normal Jesus?

Or, if you believe in reincarnation, could you reincarnate on another world? Was I an alien in a past life?

Unfortunately, these question should have been answered already. If, say, Catholicism was the one true religion, then if aliens shared the same heaven and hell, we should know about them already. If reincarnation is true and you can find out about your past lives, people should know about their alien lives.
What?

I've never been a catholic that believed the Sun revolved around us (Unless you count elementary schoolers that haven't started basic science yet). And most religions wouldn't be affected that badly in any case. I'll take Christians as an example (Since I am one). What in the Bible would be wrong if there's life outside of our planet? Sure, maybe there would be some arguments over 'Did Jesus die for the UNIVERSE'S sins?' But at that point, we'd be arguing semantics.

The Vatican would probably spit out a bunch of crap that changes nothing (Like their new deadly sins), and I imagine some extremist would go bonkers (God hates Xenos? The next WBC slogan?), but I can't see that being much a problem.

I see more problems with scientist... they'll probably want to dump our entire economy down the tubes just to try and talk to these aliens.

NOTE: The urge to become an Imperium zealot in this thread is unbearable.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Woodsey said:
Anyway, I'd just laugh at the various religions trying to accommodate the information.
This.

Also, aliens? That's a start, but for god's sake can people get started on making working space crafts? I want to say a space laser battle before I die, god damnit.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
We talkin' tiny microbe aliens here or what?
'Cause if there are intelligent beings out there, that... I'm not sure how to handle that.

We'd probably stop production on lots of sci-fi movies and games and comics because we wouldn't want to appear "insensitive"

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
1.Well it is nice to know that we aren't all alone
2. I doubt, cause we WOULD probably go paranoid and kill them
BTW it ain't confirmed boy, but I'm not rejecting the possiblity

rescuer86

Apr 12, 2010
Cite your sources. And I will only accept peer reviewed scientific articles. Bacteria on asteroids doesn't count. We already know that bacteria exists in ice found on many comets and asteroids.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
The original post needs to be improved a bit, adding a link would help, or at the very least more information.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I'm not really sure. I figure it wouldn't affect me all that much unless they invade earth in which case I would tell them "there's most likely a better planet out there, Get out while you can!"

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
KEM10 said:
More realistically, the nations that aren't as advanced get the factories and call center jobs because the employees would ask for less money. So, we'd be the call centers.
Actually, its the difference between currencies and trading that make the difference. If Beta-Omega V have extremely advanced technology, but most of the population are 'rednecks', then they'll probably be willing to work for alot less, but lets not get bogged down on economical technicalities (Other technicalities include: The need for FTL communication, cultural differences, names, translations and racism.)

Quantum Roberts said:
I have to ask. Did you quote that from somewhere or did you make that up? Cause that's damn funny. I lol'd.
Made it up. Glad you enjoyed.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
FarleShadow said:
Actually, its the difference between currencies and trading that make the difference. If Beta-Omega V have extremely advanced technology, but most of the population are 'rednecks', then they'll probably be willing to work for alot less, but lets not get bogged down on economical technicalities (Other technicalities include: The need for FTL communication, cultural differences, names, translations and racism.)
Thank-you. I now have an urge to photoshop up a Reaper on cinderblocks.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
One of two reactions.

1. How the hell did we not see them there before?
2. Why do we care if they're so damned far away?

The stuff we're seeing now is so far away that if we did see any alien life, it's long dead by now.
So it's either that, or we missed something closer to us.

The second option is a pretty enticing one.