So remeber SOPA......

Mar 9, 2010
Talshere said:
Because I can see would could happen if we do nothing.
We can all point out what's wrong with the system but whenever it tries to be fixed there's public outrage. It's all too much hassle really, I've grown tired of it. Politics is incredibly dull for what it is and it attracts people who are duller than it, or at least present themselves that way. You'd think changing millions of lives would be fun, but it's just really boring.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Signed and sent. It's the least I can do for the land of (some of) my ancestors and I'm happy to do it if for nothing else than on principle. Legislation like this needs to be stopped before it gets a foothold and spreads like the cancer of the legislative world.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Signed.

26k is not too shabby. I also liked their Facebook page, I don't know how it could help but my moral support to you guys.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
So not content with smothering freedom, government are now abandoning all notions of democracy as well. I'm starting to seriously consider just becoming a cyber terrorist.

Don't the Irish government have better things to do. Like, y'know, resuscitating their economy or something.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
I am seriously starting to fear for the internet. These things are appearing as quick as we can knock them back down. I'm afraid to say the politicians have their minds set on something and they're aiming to kill. Lets just hope we can hold on through this generation of politicians because the next gen will have grown up on the internet and will understand rather than demonise it.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Is this Ireland or Northern Ireland? Because if it's not the North, Cameron has nothing to do with it. And if it is, I doubt he'd be behind a bill that singles out the Irish for censorship, what with there already being anger there being liable to explode at any point.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
So not content with smothering freedom, government are now abandoning all notions of democracy as well. I'm starting to seriously consider just becoming a cyber terrorist.

Don't the Irish government have better things to do. Like, y'know, resuscitating their economy or something.
Hell no brah, that's shit sorted... bail out allllll the way! What's the worst that can happen?

Oh...

Signed it. Like our benevolent rulers give a hoot though, the masses are already fed up with them so what's a little civil liberty rape to an economical debacle? Icing on the bleached turd cake?

The filling is made from 100% guaranteed irish tears :D

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
If this get's into Europe, you can expect it to spread to the rest of Europe and then eventually across the Atlantic.

The black outs worked in the US, but before you can get blackouts on a massive scale you need to let as many people know as possible. It took about two or three months of the bill's existance for me to start hearing it talked about on radio and I never heard it get talked about on TV, so it takes a while for the message to penetrate mainstream media sources.

Although, what I think would make the biggest impact and send the biggest message is if we could get big sites like Wikipedia and Google to protest against it again. Even though they're not centered in Ireland they should know what effects you could affect us all. If you can, try to contact them and other big US (and other nations as well) internet sites to get them to black out.

we're all in it together, this insanity really does need to stop

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
You have my bow!
If I can sign it... which I have no idea how... or if I am allowed. Still a bow is useful.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I signed it, though not sure how much American signatures would be counted for. But, this is a global issue, so hopefully it'll hold some water.

ParanoidAndroid said:
Crap! I thought we were safe!
I wonder if there's some kind of Irish branch of Anonymous...
The IRA? Though, they're a little less subtle about it than Anon

Jun 11, 2008
This is what happens when you vote in Labour on the back of false promises. Fucking ignorant twats can't even fucking run a democracy right. I swear to God a shit on a brick would have a better chance at actually fucking running this country than those idiotic, silver spoon, corrupted low lives.

Looks like Anonymous is already on the case.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

DO. NOT. WANT. A. PRESIDENT. SET!

Kill it with fire.
ParanoidAndroid said:
Crap! I thought we were safe!
I wonder if there's some kind of Irish branch of Anonymous...
There probably is.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
For those of you in Northern Ireland, 2 reasons why you shouldn't worry A) We're not subject to the Republic's laws, since we just share the Island, and y'know part of the UK B) British based ISP's like BT/Plusnet simply can't be affected by it.

But yeah, signed it anyway, Internet freedom no matter where it is, even Chi-no wait, lost cause well, NO MORE.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
What is it lately with politicians and shitting all over the rights of their constituents?

I doubt they ever cared much for us in the first place, but these government people are getting really ballsy with the legislation they're trying to push through. It already failed in the U.S. and this guy STILL wants to try it somewhere else.

The worst part is that eventually one of them will break through, and that will be the beginning of the end.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Necrofudge said:
What is it lately with politicians and shitting all over the rights of their constituents?

I doubt they ever cared much for us in the first place, but these government people are getting really ballsy with the legislation they're trying to push through. It already failed in the U.S. and this guy STILL wants to try it somewhere else.

The worst part is that eventually one of them will break through, and that will be the beginning of the end.
I doubt they've gotten ballsy. More like we the people are better informed in this day and age. We're less likely to eat their shit and thank them for it now.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
Necrofudge said:

I doubt they've gotten ballsy. More like we the people are better informed in this day and age. We're less likely to eat their shit and thank them for it now.
Maybe in some places, but I'd have to disagree with you there. If anything people are getting more and more stupid with each passing generation.

The reason SOPA got so much attention is because the internet community has people who are willing to fight for it, but with average Americans, this isn't as true.

For instance, I recently asked my friends and parents if they were aware of a piece of legislation that Obama signed into law at the end of 2011. The "National Defense Authorization Act" pretty much allows the government to indefinitely detain citizens without trial. Most of the people I know have never even heard of this bill, let alone what it lets the government do. It's pretty similar to the Patriot Act in its future implications, but as long as it isn't an increase in taxes, the average person doesn't know about it or even care.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Necrofudge said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Necrofudge said:

Maybe in some places, but I'd have to disagree with you there. If anything people are getting more and more stupid with each passing generation.

The reason SOPA got so much attention is because the internet community has people who are willing to fight for it, but with average Americans, this isn't as true.

For instance, I recently asked my friends and parents if they were aware of a piece of legislation that Obama signed into law at the end of 2011. The "National Defense Authorization Act" pretty much allows the government to indefinitely detain citizens without trial. Most of the people I know have never even heard of this bill, let alone what it lets the government do. It's pretty similar to the Patriot Act in its future implications, but as long as it isn't an increase in taxes, the average person doesn't know about it or even care.
I absolutely mean no offence to Americans in general when I say this: as an Outsider looking in, I find the way your nation reveres presidency disturbing. Now, my only sources are FOX news, various, unsubtle, biased articles I've read and the kind of topics that appear on forums across the web, but it appears to me that you all look for the solution to your problems in who you choose for president.

I could be very wrong in this, but "patriotic" america seems to load all their eggs in one basket. They take the elections very seriously and that's apparent (well, with a shit tone of flare at least,) but scratch their heads when 1 NORMAL GUY (and his cohorts), doesn't turn crap into gold.

In Ireland, we have a tendency to be supremely pessimistic when it comes to governing bodies (possibly an inherent distaste towards control) and always bicker and rant about how awful our Government is. However we also seem totally inept when it comes to taking action... the Irish way seems to be "Meh, what can you do...". There is a LOT of anger among my generation (ages 18-30) who are looking at a train wreck and being told we will have to pay for the damages (introduction of student fees and reduction of state funds), yet we were only passengers (and kids) when the conductor fell asleep at the controls (possibly gold plated).

If this bill get's called out and trounced, then I'll have a greater respected for the Irish. However, I have a bad feeling that those who hold power here, who have proved their incompetence election after election (there are no good choices apparently) are too ignorant to face this honestly.

And one thing Ireland has in abundance is ignorance.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Glademaster said:
This is what happens when you vote in Labour on the back of false promises. Fucking ignorant twats can't even fucking run a democracy right. I swear to God a shit on a brick would have a better chance at actually fucking running this country than those idiotic, silver spoon, corrupted low lives.
Exclusively attacking Labour is childish. Every party is just as bad as the next, and politicians will be pushing SOPA and its brethren regardless of where they lie on the spectrum. If there's a problem with anything, then it's the generational divide between young and old that's present to some extent in pretty much every party.

Ragsnstitches said:
The filling is made from 100% guaranteed irish tears :D
Mmm. Tastes like whiskey.

OT: What's with the sudden influx of internet censorship attempts? SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, this Irish thing. I'm going to flip my shit if they introduce something like this in England. I hope there's enough of an outcry in/for Ireland to make a difference. SOPA didn't fly in America, but they're significantly bigger than somewhere like Ireland. Signed the petition, anyway.