So, Shadowrun Hong Kong

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
With the success of Hairbrained schemes' latest kickstarter, we have a lot to look forward to in the next Shadowrun campaign.

The controls are going to be enhanced, magic and cybernetics are going to be expanded upon, Matrix combat is going to be completely re-hauled (And a million gamers suddenly cried out in joy) and we even get an extra mini-campaign. But now to ask the important question, what are you expecting out of this game?

Me personally, I'm expecting it to be even better than Dragonfall, and I thought that Dragonfall was pretty damn good. Hairbrained Schemes seems like they're learning a lot on the job when it comes to designing these games, and they're putting what they learned to good use in the jump from Dead Man's Switch to Dragonfall. I was blown away by the storytelling and the characters in Dragonfall and the ones in Hong Kong look even better, with a nice amount of diversity (Diversity in terms of Shadowrun Dwarves, Orcs and Ghouls, I mean seriously, we had one non human party member in Dragonfall that you could hold a conversation with) and they've got a nice variety of backgrounds, including one of them being a Red Samurai, and if what I've read about Shadowrun is accurate, Red Samurai are not the type of people you mess around with. (Though I'm gonna be honest I might have gotten the wrong impression about Racter when I misread robocist as robosexual. Hehe. My bad) I'm already looking forward to all their side missions and I just can't wait to get to know them better. So yeah, I think it's going to rock.

What are you thinking about the game?

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
There were quite a few non-humans in Dragonfall. Some are spoilers
Eiger, Apex, Samuel Beckenbauer, Feuerschwinge, Audran, Lofwyr, etc.
Or did you just mean as in members of your crew?

I'm a backer (first thing I've backed on kickstarter) so unsurprisingly I'm looking forward to it. I liked Dead Man's Switch a lot but I loved Dragonfall. The new crew do sound interesting, also I'm glad we reached the mini-epilogue campaign goal. I'll probably wait for that mini-campaign to come out before I play it.

My current laptop is rather crap so hopefully I can run it when it comes out. Even if I can't I'm planning on getting a new computer next year to play games on so I'll be able to then.

I'm glad they are getting Jon Everist back, I loved the Dragonfall Soundtrack.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Knight Captain Kerr said:
Or did you just mean as in members of your crew?
Yes, crew, that is what I meant to say. Sorry, I have fixed that. Admittedly the twist the threw in towards the end WAS pretty cool, but we didn't really get another fully fleshed character out of it.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Dragonfall was absolutely fantastic, so even if it was just more of the same, I'd be sold.

But improved cyberspace-whatever would be fine. A bit more variety in combat styles would be fun as well; no specific ideas, and obviously more isn't necessarily better in RPGs as they can get easily unbalanced, but I am very excited.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
If it was just more Dragonfall I'd be happy enough, so the idea that it could even be an improvement over Dragonfall with enhanced magic and cyber stuff has me all excited.

I honestly wasn't expecting it to break the 1 mil mark but I'm glad that they did, it's going to be exciting to see what comes out of this. Shadowrun: Returns was good but Dragonfall was a vast improvement over that, so if this in turn becomes an improvement over Dragonfall then we're in for one hell of a treat.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I never got a chance to back the other Shadowrun games, so backing Hong Kong was my shot at redemption, I guess. Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall both soothed my craving for classical RPGs (ordinary beginning revealed to be epic!, isometric view!, long dialogue trees! etc. etc.) and as much as Hong Kong promises to improve things, I'd be perfectly content to just get more of the same.

Which reminds me, anyone know of any good Dragonfall mods on Steam?

small

Aug 5, 2014
my major hope is they drastically increase both the number of cyberware options that are available and the amount you can add a bit more in line with the table top game, the other two games were sorely lacking in that regard

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I'm thinking that after releasing two successful games and a Director's Cut of one that the game is in very good hands. I'm hoping to see more choices and consequences and perhaps even optional full voice acting. I would love to for the companions you hire to have personalities of their own and that you can have full conversations with them.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
I hope they make changing party members gear easier lol. I'm 17 hours into Dragonfall and can't really figure out what to change and the party members are falling off on the damage scale.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
DarkishFriend said:
I hope they make changing party members gear easier lol. I'm 17 hours into Dragonfall and can't really figure out what to change and the party members are falling off on the damage scale.
Um... You can't, as far as I am aware.

OT: What I expect? Well, basically Shadowrun game but in Hong Kong setting. Besides that? I don't know, actually. I am open for pleasant surprises.

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
Personally I want the wonderful run-down used future setting we saw in Dragonfall along with Shadowrun's usual mix of re-imagined mysticism, socioeconomic discourse and occasional ultraviolence.