So sick of the "friend zone".

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Some preface: this won't be a whiny rant of desperation, I promise. Due to some recent turbulence, I'm feeling a little lost and what follows is probably predictable. I ask here because the Escapist community is usually more helpful than hateful, and I believe that there might be something to settle my spirit from this. Here goes...

Some backstory: About nine months ago, I confessed my feelings to a girl. It took her about a month to be able to tell me that I'd been rejected in favour of a guy who had left her once before (I didn't know this at that point, and was relatively convinced of his decency). I was determined not to make things awkward from that point on, and far from deteriorating, our friendship became stronger. It had grown strong to the point where she was willing to tell me most of what was going on in her life, even though my friends refused to keep secret that I still had feelings for her. It was a few months longer before she confessed that she actually had been developing feelings for me, so we resolved to be completely frank with one another, and our friendship didn't at all suffer until her boyfriend got bored and began to neglect her. She, after much prodding from all sides, eventually got up the strength to send him an ultimatum, which he gladly accepted.

Needless to say, she was destroyed. She'd grown to be so infatuated with him, when it is incredibly difficult for her to develop any feelings for anyone at all. She tried very hard to rebound, and due to a past promise, I tried equally hard to stop her. We both agree that it was the right thing to do for me to repeatedly reject her advances, but then we're led to the issue at hand.

As she got over her boyfriend, she became widely pursued. Smothered, even. There was just one guy who seemed to have no feelings for her whatsoever (or never stated such, because I'm fairly certain that he does feel something). This singular trait led her to desire him, which I am relatively fine with. What does bother me is that another reason that she is pursuing him is that whatever was between us has completely died. I know exactly why and how, and it frustrates me that part of that reason is because she no longer wants a rebound. I want to get that back, but I really don't want to be a scumbag about it. I can't really think of how deliberately winning her over without being manipulative isn't oxymoronic, so I am a bit confused as to where to go from here.

EDIT: I realize this sounds a little hateful and also a little like the same question that's been asked many times over, so I want to clarify this a little...

Colour-Scientist said:
Drake_Dercon said:
There was just one guy who seemed to have no feelings for her whatsoever (or never stated such, because I'm fairly certain that he does feel something). This singular trait led her to desire him, which I am relatively fine with.
I don't know why guys tell themselves this. He obviously had something that made her attracted to him. Women don't just decide they want to be with asshole simply because they're assholes. I know the delusion might make a lot of guys feel better but it isn't the case.
That was her actual explanation. I would not say it if it wasn't. I'd honestly rather believe something else.

I may add that he's definitely not an asshole. He is a perfectly reasonable guy, I just object to the fact that he doesn't want her being such a huge part of her decision (again, her words, not mine).

Forlong said:
I'm not sure I follow. She broke up with the jerk she was dating. Okay, I completely got that. But she didn't go after you. Okay, I got that too. But are you implying that she is no longer interested in you? Or is she just not acting upon it to prevent from "ruining your friendship"? I'm also confused as to why she's pursuing this new guy, though maybe that's exactly the problem. I'd give you advice, but I want to be clear what the issue is exactly.
I think I probably didn't explain this adequately. We are friends, and that comes first. I have expressed affections in the past, as has she, but those seem to have been left at the wayside just as she got over her ex. No, she is not interested in me any longer, and I'm feeling a bit insulted as every position that I filled in the past seems to have been moved to others.

I asked because a question that would match up to mine doesn't seem to have appeared anywhere else, though it is becoming clearer what course of action I should take. Thanks everyone for humouring me.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Be a scumbag.

No I'm serious. If you always play it nice, you'll end up screwed over.

EDIT: I mean don't be a doormat. Please stop quoting me about it.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
This again?

*Reads*

Well, looks like you kind of messed up there.
Some people do `Rebound`, and others do not. I started dating my boyfriend only a month after a two-year relationship of mine ended*, and we are still together nearly three years later.
Personally I feel if she was willing to go out with you at that point but isn't now you just kind of lost out, should have gone with it at the time.
It's not nice, but your options are probably to either just accept its not going to happen, throw all your cards on the table and ask her out or just stop being friends.

As for where to go; tell her how you feel, then if you get rejected gather up whatever dignity you have and take it like a man. It's hard but this isn't a healthy friendship.

Captcha: Nul points. Harsh.

EDIT: Okay * that might not be a valid example, because I ended that one and it was dead for a long time before I did.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Be a scumbag.

Or perhaps achieve a balance. Be nice, don't play nice. Don't let yourself be screwed over, but don't be a scumbag.

http://heartlessbitches.com/rants/niceguys/ng.shtml

Trust me, worth some reading.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Honestly, relationships like these put a pretty significant strain on you. You're harboring these feelings, and you've got not outlet for it, so you end up stewing in it. The longer you sit and splash in the "friend zone," the less likely you are to be seen as anything other than that dependable friend rather than anything abruptly relatable in a boyfriend. You're simple, safe, and lack the sort of dynamic energy that people tend to look for in a significant other.

In short, if you're unhappy with the friend zone, change it. Collect yourself, and ask her out again. If she says no, then you gave it your best shot, collect your friendship as it is, and stop dwelling on her. Go out on dates with other people. Stop holding the torch for someone who would likely rather you put it away anyway. Even if she's one in a million, you still have 6,839 other possibilities for a different one in a million. You keep carrying this torch without doing anything about it, and you'll put a strain on yourself, her, and any relationships that build around you (yours and/or hers) because of it.

If you want to do something about it, do so. If it doesn't pan out, stop sitting on it. It's unhealthy for you, hurtful for both, and just making you unhappy. Hell, even just not thinking of her as a potential significant other will have hundreds of subconscious effects, all of which are pretty much for the better. Especially self-confidence, as that one gets destroyed the longer you hold yourself in this null zone.

Just my two cents. Friend zone's only a thing if you let it be. Otherwise, stop worrying over it, go ask someone else out. Good luck.

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
Don't pretend to just be best friends with someone you have feelings for and don't cling on to ships that have already set sail. Tell her how you feel, if something good happens awesome, if it doesn't, then don't sit around being best buddies with her, it's not healthy for you. Just back off, pull yourself back together and see what other options are out there.

No point being a scumbag or any of that shit, it's bullcrap, trying to be anything other than yourself will fail in the end. If she wants you you'll know about it, if not then there's no point hanging around for months on the off-chance that she'll change her mind.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008

I'll leave this here.

in a nutshell:

Don't do it. You're not being a nice guy. I know it hurts, but you can never be nice enough to make them love you. Best advice is probably to just not talk to them if it's too hard not to be with them. That's really the best thing to do. You'll still see them, and there will always be that twinge in your chest whenever they're around, but you can't let it rule your life. You'll just be miserable, make them miserable, and then neither of you will be happy.

I know all this from experience, and even though "going away for a time" didn't work out romantically between us, it allowed us to eventually maintain an actual friendship, because I eventually got to the point where I had way more pressing romantic concerns above "omg, she doesn't love me WHAT DO I DOOOOO!?"

Don't get me wrong though, if I ever ended up doing more then giving that girl a hug (and I'm not being crude here), it would probably be one of the happiest days of my life. But having a stalled romantic life because you're holding out for that one "perfect girl" that doesn't want you is NOT the way to go. Either just become her friend, if you can handle that, and forget the burning in your loins, or just completely let it go until you can look at the situation with a clear head.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Muspelheim said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Be a scumbag.

Or perhaps achieve a balance. Be nice, don't play nice. Don't let yourself be screwed over, but don't be a scumbag.

http://heartlessbitches.com/rants/niceguys/ng.shtml

Trust me, worth some reading.
The site gave some slightly extreme and misogynistic examples, but thanks. I see a bit of the danger here and I am beginning to figure out where all this should be going. I suppose applying a little more common sense would be a good idea...

Just one thing. I don't claim to be a "nice guy". I am sometimes scared that I pick up some of the needy, whiny characteristics when I become particularly distressed, and that may be the root of the issue entirely. I do, however, try not to over-spend myself or please simply for gratification. It is starting to work.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Shpongled said:
Don't pretend to just be best friends with someone you have feelings for and don't cling on to ships that have already set sail. Tell her how you feel, if something good happens awesome, if it doesn't, then don't sit around being best buddies with her, it's not healthy for you. Just back off, pull yourself back together and see what other options are out there.

No point being a scumbag or any of that shit, it's bullcrap, trying to be anything other than yourself will fail in the end. If she wants you you'll know about it, if not then there's no point hanging around for months on the off-chance that she'll change her mind.
Not only does this poster have an awesome taste in music, he or she is also correct. Don't wait OP, just get out there and pursue other avenues if she says no.

If I'm brutally honest in only the way strangers can on the internet; I think you've fucked it, but then again it also sounds like you could have been instigating her playing away from home, albeit only in an emotional sense at the time. You dirty enabler you! :) Anyhow, no point dwelling too much, yeah it's easier said than done and it is a cliché but there's plenty more out there. The searching, flirting and discovering possible new relationships can be very fun, enjoy it whilst you can!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
This again?

Yeah, I get that you fancy her, and she's decided she doesn't fancy you.

So what? There is absolutely no reason why should she return your feelings. Maybe she felt she was starting to, but then changed her mind. It happens, get over it.

The only thing for you to do now is avoid getting hung up on it.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Be a scumbag.

Because there's only one form of "Nice guy" and it never pull in the ass. Seriously, don't take Sane's advice. Be yourself and the people compatible to your personality will soon come.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Don't pretend to be her friend if you're only interested in more and you won't be in the 'friendzone'.

She doesn't seem to be interested in you romantically so you're either going to have to genuinely be her friend and move on to other girls or, if you can't just be her friend, move on to other girls.

If you've asked her out and she's not interested then that's all you can do. If you don't pretend to be her friend you can't be in the 'friendzone'.

Drake_Dercon said:
There was just one guy who seemed to have no feelings for her whatsoever (or never stated such, because I'm fairly certain that he does feel something). This singular trait led her to desire him, which I am relatively fine with.
I don't know why guys tell themselves this. He obviously had something that made her attracted to him. Women don't just decide they want to be with asshole simply because they're assholes. I know the delusion might make a lot of guys feel better but it isn't the case.

CruisingForBiddies

Oct 30, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Be a scumbag.

Until your girlfriend breaks up with you because you are a scumbag. The whole "girls are attracted to proper assholes" thing is a myth. Thats true for an extreme minority. The majority will just kick you in the ass.

Trust me, I know. I have some experience when it comes to being an asshole.
I don't even agree with you there. I would like to think that I have never been an asshole or any other kind of hole for that matter, and I have been in two long term relationships with the two people I wanted to be with. And casual encounters with people that I don't. But from what I gather from the multitude of posts about 'the friend-zone', a situation that seems to be far worse than anything imaginable, is that the people writing them direct all of their affection and desire onto one person. Sure it sucks if they don't reciprocate but you can always find someone else... But I am only 17, what do I know right?

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
Drake_Dercon said:
That was her actual explanation. I would not say it if it wasn't. I'd honestly rather believe something else.

EDIT: I may add that he's definitely not an asshole. He is a perfectly reasonable guy, I just object to the fact that he doesn't want her being such a huge part of her decision (again, her words, not mine).

EDIT 2:
Forlong said:
I'm not sure I follow. She broke up with the jerk she was dating. Okay, I completely got that. But she didn't go after you. Okay, I got that too. But are you implying that she is no longer interested in you? Or is she just not acting upon it to prevent from "ruining your friendship"? I'm also confused as to why she's pursuing this new guy, though maybe that's exactly the problem. I'd give you advice, but I want to be clear what the issue is exactly.
I think I probably didn't explain this adequately. We are friends, and that comes first. I have expressed affections in the past, as has she, but those seem to have been left at the wayside just as she got over her ex. No, she is not interested in me any longer, and I'm feeling a bit insulted as every position that I filled in the past seems to have been moved to others.

I asked because a question that would match up to mine doesn't seem to have appeared anywhere else, though it is becoming clearer what course of action I should take. Thanks everyone for humouring me.