So tell me about XCOM: Enemy Unknown...

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Yes the new xcom is definitly accessible to new gamers.

So much so old hands like me are a bit grumpy about how much it got streamlined from the original xcom *grumpy grump*.

If you consider yourself a neophyte to the genre, give it a try, its a rather good introduction to strategy games whilst preserving the spirit of the original game it's based on. Also has nice visuals for a strategy game, which is usually the genre's achilles heel.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
It's totally comprehensible for a newcomer, explains itself well and the tutorial's pretty neat if a little linear. If you're on Normal, you shouldn't have too much trouble, but don't expect a perfect game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Smallells said:
So I've seen numerous threads about you guys talking about XCOM. It seems you like it quite a bit! As a general rule anyway...

What I want know is; is it approachable for someone who is fairly new to strategy games?

I don't know how good I'd be - chances are I'm quite rubbish at them. But, in your opinion, would I stand any chance in enjoying it? Or does it really require some strategy game experience?

Am I saying that right? Strategy game? Is that how you say it?
Approachable to a newcomer? Yes. Especially on Normal, which is very forgiving. Once you have a firm grasp of the mechanics, I'd elevate the game to Ironman and/or Classic, which is how the game is best enjoyed. XCOM is at its best when your plans are on the knife's edge of disaster.

I think the odds are good you'd enjoy. Be warned it's still a little buggy.

Do not listen to poor losers who believe "The RNG is out to get them". They do not understand what "random" means, nor do they understand the concept of risk management.
I'm completely with this guy.

Man, we seem to see each other in these threads often, don't we? :p

It's important to distinguish between a "Strategy Game" and a "Tactics Game". A strategy game with a game that pits you non-stop against opponents in a continual one-upmanship, be it technological, military, or economical. A tactics game is a game with segment conflicts with detailed and consistent battlefield rules, normally with an aspect of randomness.

Civilization, Age of Empires, and Sins of a Solar Empire are strategy games.

Fire Emblem, FTL, and XCOM are tactics games (although XCOM has an element of strategy, but it's not the meat of the game).

All said and done, XCOM is a very good game. It requires careful thinking, painful decisions, sacrifice, observation and risk management, but it's so very rewarding when it all comes together. Note that it is a SLOW game. You can move as fast as you want, but you will regret it on higher difficulties unless you move slowly and carefully.

Also, on your first playthrough, don't be afraid to save-scum (ie. save your game often and in multiple slots, so you can undo major mistakes). You should be learning the ropes in anticipation for your second playthrough, which should be done with minimal saving. The game is at its absolute best when your plans can go belly-up in one bad move.

TreuloseTomate

Oct 25, 2012
lacktheknack said:
(although XCOM has an element of strategy, but it's not the meat of the game).
That's true. But what tends to stop most Ironman/Impossible runs is the strategy part.

It's a great game, my personal favorite of 2012. The only issue I have is that it's clearly designed for consoles. The interface in the PC version couldn't be less comfortable to navigate. And there are supposed to be annoying bugs, but it seems I was lucky and didn't get to see any.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
TreuloseTomate said:
lacktheknack said:
(although XCOM has an element of strategy, but it's not the meat of the game).
That's true. But what tends to stop most Ironman/Impossible runs is the strategy part.

It's a great game, my personal favorite of 2012. The only issue I have is that it's clearly designed for consoles. The interface in the PC version couldn't be less comfortable to navigate. And there are supposed to be annoying bugs, but it seems I was lucky and didn't get to see any.
That is lucky, I hit some bugs on the PC version, namely hanging on the Aliens turn several times, hindering any kind of progress through a level. Somehow, with a bit of luck, I figured out that it was some Sectoids that weren't spawning, luckily I had a demo guy who put a blind rocket in their vicinity which kinda 'forced' them to appear.

OT: My game of the year as well in fact, the strategy is fantastic, and a crapload more accessible than the previous XCOM games. You feel rather proud of yourself if you manage to pull off some great coordination tactics, and scrape by with heavy injuries in what seems like an otherwise impossible situation (first time encountering and getting surrounded by Chrysalids, for example).

Once your soldiers are fully promoted and you pull off some boss moments, you'll be totally hooked. Just keep an eye on the countries that need attention, and try not to let UFO's get away. Research into effective weapons that you use the most, determine your playstyle and focus on it, you might be able to skip on a few or hold out (such as plasma snipers).

And finally, don't underestimate the power of Supports. They are the most versatile unit, in a full squad I usually bring two, one for Med and one for rushing.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i guess it's pretty good, i didn't like it because the way the game handles movement and action is boring and i dislike having attacks reduced to one hit/miss chance per turn.
i really would have liked action points, i don't even mind the dodgy line of sight and enemy spawn system and the fact that the AI just straight up cheats on higher difficulties(but it's firaxis so that is to be expected)
and the interface is designed for consoles and doesn't provide as much feedback as i would have liked but that is getting into really nitpicky territory.

i would still recommend you get, especially if you are new to the genre since a lot of things i dislike you probably wouldn't even notice.

TreuloseTomate

Oct 25, 2012
Sorry, now that I remember, there was actually a bug where a sectopod teleported into my squad. But it actually helped me, because I could attack it with everything I had and take it out easily.