So the new Star Wars cartoon : The Bad Batch, is off to a solid start

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Yeah, it was fine.

Starting with Order 66 was a treat, seeing as im someone who thinks that Order 66 is hands-down the best moment in all of Star Wars.

To be honest, im mostly into this show to see the Empire in their super early days. I wasn't really that into the Bad Batch during their backdoor pilot in the final season of The Clone Wars, and im still not exactly enthralled by them in their own show, so far, but so long as I get to see a lot of early Empire shenanigans, I'll be entertained.

I'd also love to see Commander Cody, again.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I enjoyed it, and certainly looking forward to more (next episode is being released tomorrow).

What I'm not looking forward to is seeing Rex, Fennax Shand, or any other potential legacy characters that are guaranteed to still be alive when the series ends. There is absolutely no enjoyment in seeing characters with literal plot armour engaging in high threat situations.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I enjoyed it, and certainly looking forward to more (next episode is being released tomorrow).

What I'm not looking forward to is seeing Rex, Fennax Shand, or any other potential legacy characters that are guaranteed to still be alive when the series ends. There is absolutely no enjoyed in seeing characters with literal plot armour engaging in high threat situations.

I think thats why I was disappointed in seeing Saw. I'm really over that character.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I haven't watched the show so I can't speak directly, but are the people being shot armored? I'm assuming the people in question are the titular Bad Batch, and thus they are soldiers in full lamilar plate. Which, in theory, might've been treated to be resistant to blaster fire. I mean material that is capable of resisting lightsabers is pretty readily available when the story needs it, so I don't think it's that weird to have improvements in the armor, to be blaster resistant. But if you're talking about like barechested people taking a shot to the chest and just shrugging it off, yeah that's a bit much.
It's another Order 66 scene and some jedi gets shot at least two times while fighting on. I dunno if people still remember Ki-Adi Mundi from RotS in a similar situation and he is donezo after the first one hits. Another example is Ahsoka in the latest Clone Wars season finale: she takes a shot on the shinguard that apparently deflects or something but another one hits her bare shoulder/back. In a way it's been more or less blue pea shooters since the end of AotC with stormtrooper aim on top.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It's another Order 66 scene and some jedi gets shot at least two times while fighting on. I dunno if people still remember Ki-Adi Mundi from RotS in a similar situation and he is donezo after the first one hits. Another example is Ahsoka in the latest Clone Wars season finale: she takes a shot on the shinguard that apparently deflects or something but another one hits her bare shoulder/back. In a way it's been more or less blue pea shooters since the end of AotC with stormtrooper aim on top.
*shrugs* I mean, that just sounds like Plot Armor to me. Injuries are only as debilitating as the script needs them to be. That's not unique to Star Wars. It's why stormtroopers are famously terrible shots, because the reality is a wall of troopers with rapid fire weapons, would mow down most anything in front of them, but you know, you can't kill the MC's every episode due to something pesky like "realistic gun physics", so, they all shoot like shit, until they need to hit something.

MST 3K mantra my friend, MST 3K mantra.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
*shrugs* I mean, that just sounds like Plot Armor to me. Injuries are only as debilitating as the script needs them to be. That's not unique to Star Wars. It's why stormtroopers are famously terrible shots, because the reality is a wall of troopers with rapid fire weapons, would mow down most anything in front of them, but you know, you can't kill the MC's every episode due to something pesky like "realistic gun physics", so, they all shoot like shit, until they need to hit something.
MST 3K mantra my friend, MST 3K mantra.
I'd describe it as knowing it's all an illusion but getting along with it because the creators try their damnest to uphold it. I appreciate the effort. I don't get much from action scenes that are supposed to be exciting but are totally meaningless like the massive shootout in The Clone Wars S7 finale, because the danger is very relative (it's more dangerous for Ahsoka to slip and fall than to get shot). When that sort of tensionless action is established my eyes go to finding hidden Mickeys in the background. It's all so tiresome.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Clone Wars S7 finale, because the danger is very relative (it's more dangerous for Ahsoka to slip and fall than to get shot).
Well that's always the problem with prequels and risk. You know they aren't going to get hurt/killed, because they show up in later installments.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Well that's always the problem with prequels and risk. You know they aren't going to get hurt/killed, because they show up in later installments.
That's meta-level thinking. I usually try to push that aside, unless it's actually impossible (like F&F7 and Paul Walker's ghost double). But as evidenced in this thread's comments it gets into people's heads and I understand why when you have all this interconnectivity and fan-favorite characters and so on.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I'd describe it as knowing it's all an illusion but getting along with it because the creators try their damnest to uphold it. I appreciate the effort. I don't get much from action scenes that are supposed to be exciting but are totally meaningless like the massive shootout in The Clone Wars S7 finale, because the danger is very relative (it's more dangerous for Ahsoka to slip and fall than to get shot). When that sort of tensionless action is established my eyes go to finding hidden Mickeys in the background. It's all so tiresome.
Yeah that was my problem with the entire Siege of Mandalore Arc. Although utterly fantastic, and arguably the best of all the Clone Wars story arcs, it arrived years late to have any real impact. Lukas original vision for Ahsoka was to have been killed as a result of Order 66, despite her being a fan favourite.

There's a difference between telling the story of a characters past in their own spin-offs, and 'Look! It's fan favourite <Insert character here>' in another show. The first can explain/explore how, and why characters became who they are. The second is both pandering to the audience, and trying to draw in a bigger a crowd.

If they want to have a single episode explaining how Rex, Gregor, and Wolffe came to be living together in an AT-TE that's fine. But Rex rocking around with the Bad Batch for the entire series. Sorry but it is called 'The Bad Batch', not 'Rex, and the Bad Batch'. Rex has had plenty of development, and it is beggar belief why the Bad Batch would want to actively go out and look for a specific 'Reg', when as far as they are aware they can't be trusted due to their programming.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Oh that's such a contrivance to get Clones to be good guys. First the chip makes them evil and some get the chip removed. And now its some the chip just doesn't work on at all.
I'll never understand why they thought making literal faceless, nameless clones into individuals with names and personalities was a good idea.
I mean, they've been going that way for a while. They started humanizing some of the clones during the Clone Wars series, especially Capt Rex and that one whole went AWOL and started a family on some backwater planet probably because it's more interesting then just the Jedi and then a bunch of dudes in armor nobody cares about. Especially contrasted against how they're essentially disposable to the rest of the galaxy and the government(and who knows how the remaining ones are slated to be "Retired") and they essentially have no purpose or anywhere to go once they are no longer needed.

And Season 6+7 of Clone Wars already established the chips occasionally glitch, in a few individuals at least(which out of MILLIONS of clones is pretty statically insignificant) and it gives some cover for why some of the Jedi escaped for later series. While it's a bit messy, this is a story/lore/universe that has long since moved beyond one person controlling the lore and hasn't been extremely consistent even from the OT movies(Sure, Vader was Always meant to be Luke's Father, George.....).

I'm fine with this. I mean, if we can go with "Oh, we can grow millions of clones to maturity and make them combat capable in a few years" and "Oh, nos, we're running out of Jango Juice for New clones!" then I can buy a few of the clones are prone to glitch their chips. Especially in a Space Opera that Star Wars is and embraces.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So, any bets on which episode Tech says "it's the logical conclusion" right before attempting to (maybe successfully) heroically sacrifice himself the save Wrecker?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Second episode was enjoyable, but I still remained concerned about whether or not the series will revolve around Omega getting into hijinks or actually explore anything interesting. I had no idea who the new guy was I had to look him up on wookipedia. Apparently I forgot about a couple episodes in clone wars. While it's fair to call myself a star wars fan I'm not the type that memorizes anything. I'm not the guy who can name everyone in the Cantina. I would say the most enlightening part of this episode was seeing the government change over. I think they did a good job there. That's pretty much beat for beat how those hostile government takeovers work. It's less like an invasion and more like an "oh hey sorry new administration rules, gonna need a new ID and currency exchange to live here".

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah, "sign up for your shiny new ID card and currency, we're just looking out for your safety" along with the implicit threat of what happens if you don't immediately sets the tone.

That said, I'm curious how Cut met the Bad Batch. "Uncle Wrecker"? Don't get me wrong, I certainly felt serviced, but...how? It's not like Rex told anybody

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, "sign up for your shiny new ID card and currency, we're just looking out for your safety" along with the implicit threat of what happens if you don't immediately sets the tone.

That said, I'm curious how Cut met the Bad Batch. "Uncle Wrecker"? Don't get me wrong, I certainly felt serviced, but...how? It's not like Rex told anybody
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. LIke I thought it was Pretty much Rex who knew about Cut, but apparently sometime after that the Bad Batch met him too I guess? For a moment I wondered if I'd missed an episode but since the BB isn't introduced till CW season 7 this seems to be yet another one of those things that happened offscreen.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I would say the most enlightening part of this episode was seeing the government change over. I think they did a good job there. That's pretty much beat for beat how those hostile government takeovers work. It's less like an invasion and more like an "oh hey sorry new administration rules, gonna need a new ID and currency exchange to live here".
This is a lot of fun.

I must say, having recently come off a large binge of Clone Wars, needing to constantly remind myself the the Clones are now the baddies, is really strange.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. LIke I thought it was Pretty much Rex who knew about Cut, but apparently sometime after that the Bad Batch met him too I guess? For a moment I wondered if I'd missed an episode but since the BB isn't introduced till CW season 7 this seems to be yet another one of those things that happened offscreen.
It does seem strange that all of these (once) hyper-loyal clones are all buddy-buddy with a Clone deserter.

I get why Rex has a relationship with Cut, because Cut helped Rex when he was injured. But why this Special Forces squad? Especially enough of a relationship to get to the point of being called "Uncle Wrecker", etc. Cut meeting Rex seemed like a one-in-a-million, so im not quite sure how he ended up meeting this other completely separate group of soldiers, outside of a wild coincidence, Rex running his mouth, or... plot

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Summary of my thoughts for the latest episode:

200 (1).gif

The darker visual tone of the series continues with pretty violent actual on screen deaths, people getting set on fire, shot in the chest etc. I'm somewhat foggy on how violent rebels and clone wars was, but my gut tells me this new series is quite a bit grittier, visually speaking. I tend to wonder if thats an effect of Dave filoni taking the helm. I've always been more enthused by the "war" aspect of Star Wars rather than cute robots and kids on the heroes journey so this series is definitely pandering to me. Star Wars fandom seems like its always been kind of split between people that like Star Wars because the context and world building is well done and people that cry and wave toy light sabers every time a new trailer comes out. I'm starting to feel some hope here that the former crowd is taking over production. *apologies if you love porgs and cry whenever a new jedi is unveiled.*

It seems with this episode they are also revealing the general direction of the show. The Empire is making the transition to full on NAZIs, the Kamino want the clones back to use their DNA to try and sell the empire better clones so I expect it's going be a lot of them on the run.

I'm a little confused as to why they need the other clones if they have Crosshair who already seems like the perfect soldier, did they mean Omega specifically? I also wonder if Crosshair is really being controlled by the chip or if this was already his natural disposition. I can already imagine there being some rescue attempt and some climactic battle when they realize this is just who he is. That would be a cool direction to go anyway.

Omega still has yet to annoy me. I keep expecting her to get into some kind of childish hijinx, but in this episode she seems focused on proving her worth to the clones. Cant think of anything to complain about, I liked this episode quite a bit.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I haven't watched today's episode yet, but im feeling a bit lukewarm on the show, so far.

I quite enjoyed the portion of episode 3, where Crosshair was training his new squad, but the Bad Batch's escapades seem to be "The Bad Batch arrives at a planet. Omega gets into trouble. The Bad Batch rescue her. They leave the planet". Im waiting for something different.

To be fair, i've never really been too big on episodic shows, so The Bad Batch has yet to really present a story that has really engaged me. The Clone Wars was always doing its best work during the multi-episode story arcs, so I hope that they try something similar, soon.

The best thing that I can say about the show so far, is that it is completely fine. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do still see the potential, though.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I haven't watched today's episode yet, but im feeling a bit lukewarm on the show, so far.

I quite enjoyed the portion of episode 3, where Crosshair was training his new squad, but the Bad Batch's escapades seem to be "The Bad Batch arrives at a planet. Omega gets into trouble. The Bad Batch rescue her. They leave the planet". Im waiting for something different.

To be fair, i've never really been too big on episodic shows, so The Bad Batch has yet to really present a story that has really engaged me. The Clone Wars was always doing its best work during the multi-episode story arcs, so I hope that they try something similar, soon.

The best thing that I can say about the show so far, is that it is completely fine. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do still see the potential, though.
Blah. This one was more of the same. I don't dislike Omega. I remember immediately hating Ezra and Asoka. This time around she saves the day but you're not wrong it's feeling stale. Hopefully an overarching plot solidifies soon. While more interesting, it still feels like rebels and clone wars where the first season is doesn't feel like it's explicitly going any where. I can tell exactly when rebels started getting good and it was late in season two. I hope this picks up quicker. I like characters at least this time around.